Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • First enduro race
  • hardupdad
    Free Member

I’m pretty slow up hill but enjoy riding. Used to race the nembas and nambs downhills and fancy having ago at this here enduro lark.

What should I enter ? will I die? Will I be too slow? Which ones only time the down hill sections?

Thanks

Northwind

It’s very rare to have any timed uphills, though stages often have uphill sections. You may die, you won’t be too slow, it’s a pretty inclusive format even for someone with no dh background. The format takes a little getting used to mind, there’s a fair amount of racecraft to it in choosing what and how to practice, how much energy to burn in a stage and what risks to take etc… Some can be pretty long hard days/weekends, especially if you jump into a national (UKGE or Scottish)

But… IMO it’s the best way to race, you get a huge range of abilities and approaches, lots of racing mates, good chat, generally really quality riding… It’s fab. Perfect combination of normal riding and full on racing I think.

hardupdad
    Free Member

Cheers, what’s a good starter event? I’m up near Newcastle

tomhoward

See what events are going on at hamsterley.

edward2000
    Free Member

Dive in at the deep end and try round 5 o the Scottish enduro series

hardupdad
    Free Member

Edit

bigad40
    Free Member

I’m hoping to enter my 1st Enduro in October.
    Veteran Sport catagory for me.
    I also raced downhill a long, long time ago.
    The race is scary enough, its the 1st time I will be spending 2days away from my wife and kids since i can remember that has me really nervous.
    Will I Starve, freeze, loose things or have complete withdrawl symptoms from my coffee machine while I head out into the deep unkown without the guidance of better half..
    Only one way to find out.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

I think there are still places available for PMBA lee quarry enduro in October, and apparently theres one in Dalby in October too.

marky29er
    Free Member

Had my 1st race this year also. Things I took from it was I was not fit enough.
    No the uphills (transitions) are not timed, but there is a time limit to get up and be ready to start your next stage. 30 minutes between stages, the ride up took 20 minutes initially & got harder as the day progressed!
    It was full on, 20mins up, 10 mins rest, GO & repeat, and repeat and repeat etc! I was shattered by the end especially having ridden all the stages in the morning to practice.
    I was not expecting this, I thought it would be some nice rides down hill with ages to mince back up again and plenty of time to sit around chatting.
    A puncture would completely ruin the day as there would be barely enough time to fix it.
    Ws a good day though, I would do it again.

Northwind

marky29er – Member

No the uphills (transitions) are not timed, but there is a time limit to get up and be ready to start your next stage.

Sometimes… But that’s the minority in my experience, it’s more common to have a time limit for the entire “lap”

dlr

Northern downhill have an Enduro at Kielder in October http://www.northerndownhill.co.uk/

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Hardupdad, I’ll be watching this thread with interest as I’ve recently decided to take the plunge and have a go at some racing too.

The ‘will I die’ question is one that I’ve been thinking about too… I ride an older full suss with relatively steep angles.

Are you looking at the British Cycling website for events or elsewhere?

scottfitz
    Free Member

Are you looking at the British Cycling website for events or elsewhere?

Not all on the BC website, Check here: Enduro’s

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

scottfitz – Member
    Not all on the BC website, Check here: Enduro’s

Cheers!

Don’t want to venture too far north for my first one, in case i’m completely useless!

scottfitz
    Free Member

Don’t want to venture too far north for my first one, in case i’m completely useless!

Where are you based?

jam-bo

Sometimes… But that’s the minority in my experience, it’s more common to have a time limit for the entire “lap”

enduro1 series you have a prescribed start time for each stage. If you’re not there you get a 30s penalty.

enduro1 rd4 at triscombe (somerset) should be a good one to start with.

linkpin
    Free Member

On the strength of having done my first enduro yesterday, I can offer the following advice:

1. Take more fuel than you think you’ll need; bananas, malt loaf and even energy gels all came in useful (as did beer, although not actually during the race)

2. Be ready for a good deal of climbing (and several miles of riding), although the race I did left enough time to push the steeper sections

3. The One Industries Mini Enduro events are really well organised and have a very relaxed and friendly vibe, with no rushing or pressure

4. The stages really do feel better when you’ve earned them

5. It was nearly the most fun I’ve had on two wheels (just behind the time when I managed 50 yards on two wheels in my Peugeot 205, although on second thoughts that one ended in a bigger crash, so maybe the enduro was better after all)

Hope at least some of that’s useful.

bails

What kind of mileage/height gain do the events tend to be. Obviously it will vary but a 10 mile course is very different to a 40 mile one!

jam-bo

last enduro1 rd at grogley was ~18 miles and 2500ft of climbing.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Mini Enduro yesterday Morning practice and afternoon race: http://www.strava.com/activities/187948114

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

interested in this as I have my first one at the end of september. The ‘race craft’ is interesting, especially about saving energy , balancing practice and when to really go for it and so on.

My thought was to go for a slow ish and steady approach. i.e not crash or make a massive mistake that ruins my day! but it can’t be planned for i guess!

jam-bo

i guess it depends what your aims are. be competive overall, or beat your mates….

GEDA
    Free Member

Kidland is very steep. My brother works on the hill next door and we went to have a look. It is not for the faint hearted.

yorkshire89
    Free Member

For your first just try to get to the end without hurting yourself, don’t worry too much about time, just enjoy it.

jam-bo

don’t worry too much about time, just enjoy it.

#

but if you are slower, be prepared to pull over. One of the downsides for the enduro1 system with fixed start-times and no seeding is that I caught and passed the rider in front of me on every stage. On the longest 7 min quite pedally stage I caught and passed 6 riders.

Simon

bails – Member
    What kind of mileage/height gain do the events tend to be. Obviously it will vary but a 10 mile course is very different to a 40 mile one!

It varies, the last three I’ve raced were:-
    King of the Hill 2013 39km, 1500m of climbing.
    PMBA Gisburn 21.5km, 420m of climbing.
    ‘Ard Rock Enduro ’14 40km, 1220m of climbing.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

my aim is to crush the opposition , win the prize money and get sponsored to travel the world riding bikes in the summer and snowboarding in the winter. Is this possible?

Simon

Anything’s possible! 🙂
    Racing just confirms what I already know – that I’m a very average rider 🙂
    It’s still a lot of fun though.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

scottfitz – Member

I’m in southampton.

Did have an eye on the FOD mini enduro at the beginning of November but have to be in Ireland for a wedding. Will be doing the QECP ones next year as they’re so close to home though.

Took a look at the roots and rain website and it looks like there’s two possible enduros to have a crack at:

– X-Fusion Enduro 1 #4, Quantocks
    and
    – Red Kite Empire Cycles Enduro #3, Llanwrtyd Wells

Anyone know what these races are like?

chiefgrooveguru

Red Kite Empire Cycles Enduro #3, Llanwrtyd Wells

Unless I’m mistaken this is an endurance race, ie a long XC race.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Judging by their website it looks like an enduro. Although I’m no expert so might have it wrong.

http://redkite-events.co.uk/event.php?id=20

scottfitz
    Free Member

– X-Fusion Enduro 1 #4, Quantocks
    and
    – Red Kite Empire Cycles Enduro #3, Llanwrtyd Wells

Anyone know what these races are like?

Did 3 or 4 Enduro1’s not keen to do anymore one of the most expensive single days in the country and in my experience not the most organised affairs. However the Quantocks is a great venue.

Not done the Red Kite ones but herad really good things, plus 2 day event for the same price as the 1 day enduro1.

FoD mini enduro was good at the start of the year and I would recommend the next one.

fuzzhead
    Free Member

+1 trying a Mini Enduro as your first race – I’ve done 2 (Haldon & FoD). Really well organised and a lot of fun 🙂

scottfitz
    Free Member

Will be doing the QECP ones next year as they’re so close to home though.

here a good report to know what to expect from your average rider:

QECP Day and Night Enduro 2014 – Race Report

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

I’ve entered the red kite event on the weekend beginning 25/10/2014 with two friends.

Are any STWers going?

jam-bo

Did 3 or 4 Enduro1’s not keen to do anymore one of the most expensive single days in the country and in my experience not the most organised affairs. However the Quantocks is a great venue.

the last one at bodmin was my first one and seemed pretty well organised. timing seemed to work well and live results printout and big screen display at the finish. I was in one of the last groups of riders so prizegiving was almost straight away.

I’m trying to organise some mates into team for the last round. its like herding cats.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘First enduro race’ is closed to new replies.