Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • First duathlon – any tips?
  • stox
    Free Member

Next Saturday … First duathlon, 5k run, 20k cycle, 2.5k run

Im not really planning to go hell for leather ,… Just taking part and hoping to enjoy it.

I’m running parkrun 5k in around 21 mins so assume I don’t want to be doing the 5k that quick or I’m going to feel it when I get on the bike?! Is the run AFTER the cycle going to be a shock to the legs?!

Any tips for transition etc? Clothing wise I was going to get tri shorts but since they ain’t cheap I’m thinking of using some lightly padded cycling shorts with my running tights over the top … Good or bad idea?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Brick training. That is all.

stox
    Free Member

Meaning go for a run then jump on the bike?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Edukator
    Free Member

Start flat out, accelerate throughout and sprint for the finish.

If yon need tights because it’s that cold then nothing under them. You’ll get hot on the run so just shorts will be enough unless it’s really cold.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Yes, and so on, and so on.

It’s hideous running after riding, especially after riding hard. Feels like you have someone else’s legs, someone who’s never really ran before.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Sorry, just read your post. A week is probably not enough time to make a difference.

stox
    Free Member

Sorry, just read your post. A week is probably not enough time to make a difference.

Yeah agree. I run and I cycle put I haven’t done them one after the other so it’ll be a case of just getting on with it

iolo
    Free Member

The transition will feel odd for the second run. Your legs will feel like jelly for a bit.

stimpy
    Free Member

For a 20k ride you won’t need any padding – just go shorts and/or tights as weather dictates. You’ll thank me once you’ve tried the run.

Don’t go hell for leather on the first run either. You’ll die on the second run if you do IME (the cycle should be OK even if you do hammer the first run).

I’ve done a couple of duathlons – ran in shorts and cycling top, only transition element was a change of shoes to SPDs for the cycle. Keep water and a gel or two in the transition area – have them after the first run to get something in the tank in time for the second run.

Hammer the second run as much as you like though and a big sprint finish (obviously).

And enjoy it!

stox
    Free Member

Cheers stimpy … Just the kind of advice I was after. Will take onboard

IanMunro
    Free Member

Practice the transitions. Play through in your mind what you need to do and where you need to place shoes, helmet, buckles etc.
    It’s a short race, you’re not going to get fitter in a week, but you can save a lot of time getting the transition right.

Oh, and don’t despair at the pace the run goes off at. You’ll be surprised how rubbish some of them are once on a bike 🙂

Weasel
    Free Member

I’d get the elasticated lock laces for your running shoes, saves a lot of time, you can get them on ebay for a few quid.

The duathlon I did was in Jan/Feb so saved trying to do up laces with cold hands or taking gloves on and off. I only have them on my trail shoes as it’s also easier to get your shoes back on if they get stuck in the mud – learnt that lesson.

As said already, get some brick sessions in for next time. Have fun.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

As you finish the first run / cycle give yourself a mini pep talk / calm breathing down in readiness for the transition. Amazingly difficult to change shoes when you’re blowing. Also as a shorter distance you’ll likely be running / riding closer to your max, making the transitions harder.

Speed laces will knock time off yoke transitions, depends how seriously you’re taking it

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘First duathlon – any tips?’ is closed to new replies.