• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • First day over! Bye bye joblessness…
  • mboy
    Free Member

Just finished my first day in my new job, and well… I've been invited back tomorrow at least! 😉

Even after the first conversation that turned from work related stuff was the inevitable "so which football team do you support?" ended up with approximately 30 seconds of silence as I don't do football at all… I must've had some redeeming qualities despite not being a football supporter after all…

God it feels good to be back at work, even if it's still a few weeks away from my first pay cheque!

RichPenny
    Free Member

How did they react to the gimp mask?

ton

i love doing the 'sorry, i hate football' thing…….. 8)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    juiced
    Free Member

well done!

redthunder
    Free Member

Depends what team you support ?

Have you picked one ?

geoffj

"so which football team do you support?" ended up with approximately 30 seconds of silence as I don't do football at all

Obviously not a job that requires good interpersonal skills then.

samuri
    Free Member

me too, it kills the conversation stone dead.

Glad you've got back to work, your bum will stop hurting after a few weeks and your regulars might even start leaving you tips if you do a good job.

mboy
    Free Member

How did they react to the gimp mask?

Left it in the car for the first day, didn't want to go too overboard… Think by Friday they'll be ready for it though.

i love doing the 'sorry, i hate football' thing……..

Depends what team you support ?

Have you picked one ?

Obviously not a job that requires good interpersonal skills then.

Ton, I just replied "sorry, I'm not into football", I don't take any relish from not being into it, but even the mere mention that you're not into football will kill the conversation stone dead it seems! Ooops

Redthunder… I possibly managed to bring it back round a bit by showing that I am patriotic, and mentioning I support England when they're playing. Give me Rugby or Cricket any day though!

LOL @ Geoffj. As mentioned, just said I'm not into it, didn't make any high brow comments or anything. If I'd have lied and pretended I was into it, to gain favour, I'd have been shown up as a complete arse moments later as they were all banging on about various games over the weekend (I understand Man UTD lost to Everton, which I'd never have known before!). Better to be honest.

Glad you've got back to work, your bum will stop hurting after a few weeks and your regulars might even start leaving you tips if you do a good job.

Oral only for the first few weeks Samuri, they're easing me into it, so to speak… 😉

ctznsmith
    Free Member

congratulations on the job.

tails
    Free Member

Congrats buddy, and take the football thing as a good thing its the beginnings of being welcomed in, and gives you a chance to say what you do like.

nonk
    Free Member

i got into football for that very reason i just felt i owed it to my mates to be more interesting.
    i think the reason i hated it was based around it being rammed down my throat at school and by my family with the ,it comes beore anything else attitude.
    thankfully my mrs is a mad keen liverpool fan and being tought why football is class by a obsessed woman made it more enjoyable.
    once you start to apreciate the skill on dislpay it gets you.
    i have told her she stands shag all chance of getting me within a mile of a golf course though.

mboy
    Free Member

i got into football for that very reason i just felt i owed it to my mates to be more interesting.

LOL

Now that I do take exception to… Each to their own and all that, but football is not interesting!

I actually quite enjoy having a kick about, even though I'm crap, so I can understand the skill required in it. I also admire those that are good enough to make a living out of it, in that they are skilled professionals, as am I in my field.

But that's the point… Football is just a game, and compared to most games/sports is not very interesting in my opinion. It's VERY one dimensional when compared to more complex sports such as Cricket, and even Rubgy. But more than that, I despise the way it has been turned into a religion, and that a footballer will earn more than my annual salary in a week is quite frankly silly. Because the people paying their wages can barely, if at all, afford to pay them (judging by the number of football clubs that we hear about going into administration or getting bought out by foreign investors), but because of the hype it is what is expected!

I admire that David Beckham can kick a football inch perfectly exactly where he wants it, but it doesn't stir me in the same way as watching Andrew Flintoff splay all 3 stumps with a brilliant yorker, or Kevin Pietersen pulverise an opposition bowling attack with his bat.

Golf though, now that is a sport that requires skill! Boring to watch, granted, but my god it's a tough game…

Congrats buddy, and take the football thing as a good thing its the beginnings of being welcomed in, and gives you a chance to say what you do like.

To be fair, they'd done a bit of homework on me (had a look at my facebook and myspace pages I think), so knew about Mountain Biking and my love of music. Think I managed to salvage some credibility with the guy who asked me about football too, as it turns out he loves snowboarding and has just got back from a trip, so we got chatting about boarding too.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘First day over! Bye bye joblessness…’ is closed to new replies.