Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • First carbon road bike sub £1500?
  • 29erss
    Free Member

Hi,

I looking for my first road bike, preferably carbon sub £1500 with decent enough kit. I ride a 29er currently but commute to work on the road.

The bikes ive been looking at are
    Trek Madone 3.1C 2012 Cheapest£1450
    Trek Madone 4.5C 2011 Cheapest ive seen is Chevin Cycles they have this reduced from £1850 to £1199 Link
    Specialized Tarmac Elite SL2 ’11 – Edinburgh Cycles have this reduced from £1649 to £1399 Link /

What are people experience with the lower end Trek carbons? The 4.5 Madone seems cheap?

Thanks

wwaswas

Have a look at Planet-x – great value.

and Canyon.

I’ve no experience with the bikes you mention.

b17
    Free Member

Just got a Decathlon Facet 3 full carbon job for under 1000 EUR, so you could even have some budget left over. I’m very pleased with it so far.

decathlon facet 3

TheFlyingOx

I’ve heard the Planet X ones are a bit “squidgy” on account of the glue:carbon ratio. Might be hogwash, but I’d want to try one before splashing the cash.

Have a look at a Vitus Dark Plasma VR, maybe? Or a Felt F5?

ojom
    Free Member

Worth keeping this http://www.thebikechain.co.uk/Cube-Agree-GTC-Triple-56-20110901070211/ in mind.

We have (like all Cube dealers i would imagine) gone pretty heavy on the pre-orders for these as we have been informed the qty of these will be severely limited for 2012.

We probably wont see all we have ordered either.

Looking like a standout bargain – it’s a seriously good frame.

druidh
    Free Member

I’ll back up the Cube GTC Agree as an option. I replaced my Focus Cayo with one after having a test ride. I couldn’t believe just how much more comfortable it was.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

By all accounts the 2012 Trek’s will be very well priced, I think there was a Madone frame with 105 for 1500, as well as an Ali with Ultegra in the same range.

Personally I’d go for the Ultimate CF Canyon 7.0 with Campag, in team white:
    http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2112

sefton
    Free Member

nano light or SL Pro.

njee20
    Free Member

The Treks are excellent, the cheaper TCT Madones are now Taiwanese made rather than US made like the more expensive OCLV ones, but they’re great bikes.

Bear in mind that you cannot mail order Trek. So you’ll have to drive to Chevin Cycles and pick it up, may be a factor if you’re the other end of the country…

Geometry is important on the road, more so than the MTB. I’ve got a Trek Madone which feels spot on, and a Specialized Allez which is horrible, the front is ridiculously high, feels like a shopping bike.

I’d definitely look at Planet X, Cube and Focus as well though, although demos may be harder to come by.

meesterbond

Definitely Canyon at that price… particularly if they’ve got any left in the sale.

mustard
    Free Member

I have not for one second regretted buying a Cube GTC Agree; I loves it I do! 🙂

Haze

I’ll back up the Cube GTC Agree as an option. I replaced my Focus Cayo with one after having a test ride. I couldn’t believe just how much more comfortable it was.

Agree with the comment about the Cayo, swapped mine for a Nanolight HM which is far more comfy.

I believe the ‘squidgy’ nature of the Planet-X was an issue with the non-high modulus frames.

spoon
    Free Member

I’ve just purchased a planet X nanolight High modulus, its my first carbon road bike but… Its bloody amazing !

Its really stiff and very nice to ride.

Ok I have nothing to compare it to except my old steel road bike but its light, stiff and comfortable.

Did a 100km road ride on saturday no problem and a hill climb of 3000ft on tuesday night… no problem at all.

I don’t think you’d be disappointed as a first bike – I’m not. Not sure where these flexy comments come from, mine doens’t seem to flex at all (80kg).

Oh and the “black” (no paint) you can see the carbon weave which looks very nice indeed!

I had it spec’d with SRAM force and its flawless, smooth shifting, good brakes.

hope it helps.

Country_Gent
    Free Member

The Planet X carbon bikes are a steal at that price. Really think that the whole glue:carbon ratio stuff if BS put out by people annoyed that they paid way more for a bike with the same spec.

lunge

You could easily get 105 and I suspect Ultegra from Ribble at 1.5k. n You’d also get some nice finishing kit and a good, in unfashionable, frame.

iDave
    Free Member

Cube +200

Great spec, they ride really well, and I think they look rather nice too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Rose bikes get good writeups for their road bikes. Came top in a £1600 bike test in cycling plus. Joint top was a cannondale CAAD10, so don’t discount aluminium.

RealMan
    Free Member

I’ve got a carbon ribble with full ultegra and carbon wheels for ~£1500, probably slightly less.

Canyon worth a look too.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Mates got the new Ribble 2011 Sportive and really likes it!

Just specced the Ribble sportive with Ultegra and Fulcrum 7 and comes out at £1500 – £1100 base model with Sora etc.

Have you also looked at Kinesis?

£1000 frame if you already have some road kit?

chrisdb
    Free Member

2011 3.1 for £1100…

http://www.alpinebikes.com/shop/trek/madone-31-c-h2-2011/

Madone frame – nice bits. Maybe spend extra on some nice wheels.

thehustler
    Free Member

and no one has yet mentioned the boardman team carbon, I keep looking at them and lusting, must rresist!!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘First carbon road bike sub £1500?’ is closed to new replies.