Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • First car … 100miles a day … 1 years use … Bangernomics?
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

“Old man has had two (2.2 and 2.0) and never had any grief, is that not a very old issue on the 1.8’s about 2000 (mk3??) vintage?”

Nope – its still very much a current issue on alot of high power diesels because people dont feed in the clutch they jsut throw it and stamp on the throttle to feel the WHOOOOOAR POOOOWAAAARRR innit bruv.

Ford limited the torque in 1st and 2nd in to stop it ripping their clutches and boxes apart – alot of people remapped the limit out as it robbed them of “speed”

Id want a 2litre engined autobox for a longterm 100 mile commute – and for that i would pay good money/even get rid of the other motor – newer autoboxes eclipse old style night and day. I got 54MPG out of a hired 2litre petrol focus autobox over 1600 miles but for 12 months – id still run what i brung.

oldnpastit

+1 for MX5.

Entirely impractical but a lot of fun, especially on days when you can put the roof down! My Mk2 does about 35mpg FWIW.

Oh, you wanted a sensible suggestion? No idea, but not a 1.6 Focus.

fettlin

If you’re worried about the cost involved then as others have said, use what you have. Already have the depreciating asset, less insurance etc.

Of course, n+1 may apply, in which case mx5, reasonable cost to insure and at least it would be a fun 100 miles!

MrSalmon
    Free Member

The idea of having three cars when one will be sitting on the drive because you don’t want to add mileage seems a little bit bonkers to me.

This.

On a slightly different, high-horsey note: You’re looking at having 3 daily driver-type cars for 2 adults? Aside from the financial aspect that just sounds all sorts of wrong to me.

simon_g

Cheap MX5 is “fun” until it’s depths of winter, you’ve had a long hard day at work and you just want to get home. But it’s freezing, tipping down with rain and you’re in the slow lane getting overtaken by trucks as you can barely see, and the leaky hood (very few cheap MX5s will have a waterproof one) is gently pouring freezing water on your shoulder.

As others say, using what you already have will almost certainly be the cheapest option, as well as the safer and more comfortable one.

chakaping
    Free Member

Use the nice new car.

Especially if its only for a year.

You’ve been over-thinking the downsides a bit IMO.

hels
    Free Member

Motorbike.

Take the family car when it rains.

timber

Apart from the run what you’ve got, to back up the MX5 argument, my wife was doing a 100 mile round trip daily. Decent lights and wipers (as with anything really) and it was fine. 35-40mpg with my wife driving (and not entirely stock). Over a year, you would probably sell it for what you buy it for. Work eventually let my wife have a van and allowed her to work from home after a van rear ended the MX5 on a slip road.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘First car … 100miles a day … 1 years use … Bangernomics?’ is closed to new replies.