Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • First Bike for the nipper
  • Paul-B

So, Santa is bringing my daughter who’ll be 22 months old at Christmas her first bike.

Whilst at the Bike Show last year we spotted these bikes made/sold by a firm called Ped-I-Bal http://www.pedibal.com/

They look like a pretty good idea with the option of running first as a balance bike, adding footpegs to become like a scooter type thing and then add the drivetrain module to become a full on bike. They’re aluminium so are nice and light.

Anybody on here bought one for their kids? If so, any good or are we better off going the more traditional route? I’m guessing there’s a chance she could out-grow it pretty quick but I have a feeling she’ll be short like her mother 😛

Paul-B

Perhaps I should’ve asked about winter tyres for a 650b+ instead…

MoreCashThanDash

It’s not an Islabike, that’s where you went wrong. 😉

Looks an interesting idea. But the resale value will never be the same as an Islabike.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fisha
    Free Member

Agreed. We went the cheap balance bike route at that age then bought an early rider belter at 4yrs.

Was the right way for us. Getting the balance sorted first helped tremendously. He was able to go the pedal bike within 5 mons at the first attempt.

Paul-B

Cheers for the input

DT78
    Free Member

I asked this last week. Most seemed to be recommending a strider which is what I’ll be going for, just waiting to see if any Black Friday sales before I order

Paul-B

Not sure what happened to my previous post! I wrote stuff about depreciation etc. So apologies if that may have read as being a touch rude!

Anyway, we’re thinking it should last around 5-6 years as we’re planning another child in the near future so it should hand down (assuming they’re enthusiastic about riding like my daughter is!)

Going to have a look into Striders & maybe a peek at 2nd hand Islabikes

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

My sons a similar age and I think we have settled on a frog tadpole. He sat / stood on one in a shop on Saturday and it seemed plenty small enough for him. Certainly enough so he can get used to pushing the bike around stood over the saddle.

Seem like great value too in comparison to islabikes who’s model seems to sell for not much less used than the frog is new. They seem a bit better thought out with the brakes above the stays too.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘First Bike for the nipper’ is closed to new replies.