Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • First Bike Build – BFe
  • fitnessischeating
    Free Member

So, after getting chocolates and wiskey for christmas, I have decided to build a bike, and its my first so thought I’d open the floor to sugestions.

Im building up a BFe, and my component selection is a mixture of new parts and ones I already have:
    new SLX groupset (with brakes) 183mm hope rotors and adaptors
    blackspire stinger
    Rockshox Revs
    Easton Haven Wheels and bars
    nukeproof warhead stem and seatpost
    fizik Gobi
    ODI lock-ons
    hope head doctor

Have I forgotten anything I will need?

I am going to get cotic to fit a nukeproof headset, will this come with a crown race?

Is it worth getting them to do the BB as well, was going to do thim myself with the SLX as part of the groupset, but could sell that if this is going to be a tricky job?

sambob
    Free Member

fitting a HT2 BB is very easy if you take your time with it. Make sure you get the threads reamed to make it as easy as possible though. I think Cotic do it, but it’d be good to make sure.

sprocker
    Free Member

Just waiting for my bfe :D, bb will just screw in you just need to make sure it has been reamed/faced. Not sure if cotic do it or not before they send them out.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

looks like a call to them once those lazy slackers are back at work (as opossed to me at work but on a bike forum) then to see if they will ream/face it before it goes out, if not might be worth getting them to fit one, rather than buying tools

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What does ‘get the threads reamed’ mean?

sambob
    Free Member

Just means they get cleaned/chased to make sure whatever is going in goes in smoothly.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Cleaning out the threads has nothing to do with reaming. A reamer is basically like a finishing drill, but a lot more accurate than a drill, as it cuts its whole length, as opposed to just a cutting head. It’s pretty needless facing bb shells nowadays tbh, as it’s the threads of the bb shell that keep the bb true to the shell, not the face.

It would be more advantageous to face a headtube, as it’s a press fit, the face has more influence over how a headset sits.

Pooley
    Free Member

NBITF, I get where you’re coming from, but beg to differ, from experience, facing the BB shell ends is a good idea. This ensures the bearings are square and aligned with the chainset spindle, this can aid in BB longevity. Misalignment can occur when prior to threading, the BB shell is not entirely square with face. Threading machine will follow this misalignment. Hope this reads as well as I imagine it in my head. Happy new year

grievoustim
    Free Member

I didn;t get the BB faced on my cotic

or any of my other bikes

and all my BBs last for ages

Hollow tech 2 BBs are a doddle to fit – you just need the spanner thing

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, good points, but it’s something that shouldn’t happen on a supposed high quality frame. There is no way anyone who pays, say 1500 quid for a frame should have to even consider tidying up shoddy workmanship.
    I’ve never faced a bb shell and have built various bikes from guys like cotic, Santa cruz, trek, Ridley etc. I’ve never had any issue with premature bb bearing wear, but tbf, I know some guys who eat bb’s. I’ve maybe just been lucky.

All the best for 2013 to you too pooley!.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yup, facing a BB shell is probably the biggest con of this century.

chiefgrooveguru

When I bought my Soul the BB and headtube came already faced if you bought it direct whilst if you bought it through a shop they left the shop to do it.

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

Its coming direct from Cotic, when they are back in stock, think it’ll be a call and a chat to see what they recommend.

yunki
    Free Member

There is no way anyone who pays, say 1500 quid for a frame should have to even consider tidying up shoddy workmanship.

what about people that are paying say.. £300 for a frame (like the BFe)..?
    I’m not saying the workmanship is shoddy on a Cotic frame, just that your example of a £1500 frame is inappropriate to this discussion..

Bah.. sorry.. post Christmas blues.. maybe I should go and sit on the toilet with one of my new books and a cuppa and try to release the yule log..

metalheart
    Free Member

Make sure you get the b/b threads tapped by Cotic.

Last two frames had paint residue on them and would have had to ‘force’ the b/b in. On a £1.5k and £.5k frame respectively I wasn’t prepared to do that. Fortunately one of the benefits of buying from the local dealer meant that they did this for me as part of the ‘service’.

YMMV.

fattyre500
    Free Member

Be gentle putting that bb in and DON’T force it in as they’re pretty soft threads and if it comes to a battle b’tween a steel thread on your frame and the bb threads you’ll be buying new cups. 🙁

patriotpro
    Free Member

Just ram it in wi a hammer, viking-style.

Gotama
    Free Member

Just ram it in wi a hammer, viking-style.

That made me chuckle. Brightened up my otherwise dull day at work.

fattyre500
    Free Member

Try not to hit your hand with that hammer cos it will be THOR !! 😆

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘First Bike Build – BFe’ is closed to new replies.