Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • First big timelapse – any tips or comments welcomed
  • Locoboy
    Free Member

Hi,
    My first real go at timelapse photography with a gopro covering multiple activities.

Any of you got any experience of this kind of project? I’d be happy to receive constructive criticism if you have.

[video]https://youtu.be/8yMnozAbHNE[/video]

Cheers

rene59
    Free Member

I’m not a photographer or film maker, just a casual observer. It looks ok technical wise but I think it’s too long for all that is showing. I don’t know what the purpose of the video is so I suppose it will depend on that but there doesn’t look to be much difference/progress over the time lapse. Maybe time lapse is not the most suitable method for what you are trying to achieve?

DezB
    Free Member

When it started I was expecting a full refurb of the car in the front. Then from 15 secs – around 45 secs it was just people moving about. Then the car never got finished and things were getting packaged up!
    As rene59, guess you need to know the purpose of it.

Locoboy
    Free Member

It was just a personal project to show what we do at work and do show the flow of raw material (car) in and finished goods (parts) out. – it seemed like a good timelepse subject to me.

The dismantling bit its too long but it’s a full days worth of time really so it’s always going to be the majority of the clip.

The car on the right is one that had problems so was actually being fixed before it could be dismantled, the main subject is the one on the left but camera placement was hard.

Gary_M
    Free Member

the main subject is the one on the left but camera placement was hard.

Ah right, I didn’t even look at the car on the left. So top tip would be to have the subject in the main frame 🙂

rene59
    Free Member

the main subject is the one on the left but camera placement was hard

In that case I barely even noticed that car as my attention was drawn to the one on the right as that is where the focus of the shot was for me. Watching again, then yes, there is a big transformation to that car but I completely missed it.

plumber
    Free Member

more lighting

closer shots

one of those slow swivel stands for panning

Tiger6791

You’re like the worst mechanics eva!!

Those Freelanders looked much worse after a day in your workshop 😆

(Oh and do you have a N/S Sidestep for a 15MY D4 ) 😀

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Break up the timelapse with short, normal speed, closeups of interesting or relevant activities. Add some text maybe to explain what is happening at certain points.

Watch Casey Neistat YT videos for good examples on how to use timelapse.

MSP

Probably best not to promote a chop shop operation online 😉

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Trick with time lapse is to shoot a variation during an event. Move the camera every 20-30 minutes. Unusual angles every 10 minutes so that your finished film is both interesting in terms of variety but also not too long from a single shot.

Locoboy
    Free Member

Yeah camera angles were a pain in the ass as I couldn’t put it where I wanted it.

If I was going it for any commercial use (for work) then I would have one main subject car but as I was nipping out of the office evry now and then to make sure it was still running and trying to not let the project interfere with my days work I couldn’t do much about that.
    I agree moving the camera around maybe inside the car for the internal strip out and under the car when its on the ramp too would be good.

As for side step for a D4, we have given up on D3 D4 as they are way too troublesome as breakers for us to buy in, sorry

I’ll check out the Casey Neistat YT videos, thanks for the heads up.

bruneep

It was just a personal project stealth advert to show what we do at work and do show the flow of raw material (car) in and finished goods (parts) out

😉

geoffj

Would be good to follow 1 part from goods in to goods out.

Locoboy
    Free Member

It was just a personal project stealth advert to show what we do at work and do show the flow of raw material (car) in and finished goods (parts) out

Haha, it’s not exactly promotion worthy material is it!

Locoboy
    Free Member

Would be good to follow 1 part from goods in to goods out.

That’s kind of what I was trying to do

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yeah camera angles were a pain in the ass as I couldn’t put it where I wanted it.

Would it not have made more sense to put the ‘focus’ car in the shot? No need to move the camera, just swap the vehicles round.

But I guess that wasn’t possible for whatever reason.

CraigW
    Free Member

You could crop the images afterwards, just to include the interesting part. It should still give you high enough resolution to make a video.

Also edit out the bits where there’s not much happening.

sportsnapper
    Free Member

Just to echo what others have said. It needs some different angles. For this, i’d be using two or three cameras and cutting between the different views during the final cut. You can use one main camera and move the B roll camera around. But it needs variety (just like GoPro trail videos!). If you can find a simple automated slider that would help – but it might be a bit OTT for this.

Locoboy
    Free Member

To keep the file size down for storage limits on the card it meant I couldnt crop the image sadly.

The cars were where they were because the two mechanics have their own ramp and that happened to be the jobs they were allocated, on the right was repair and break, on the left was break only.

A couple of cameras would be nice……

Stoner
    Free Member

check out Diresta on you tube for some great timelapse project videos.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘First big timelapse – any tips or comments welcomed’ is closed to new replies.