Viewing 28 posts - 121 through 148 (of 148 total)
  • First Band you saw live?
  • scotabroad

Ozzy Ozbourne – Dundee Caird hall circa 79, 80. There was onlyu about 500 folk there not long after black sabbath split.

RichPenny
    Free Member

I think it was Mercury Rev, touring Yerself Is Steam, 91 maybe? Great gig that, they still had a lunatic front man and had about 30 kids on stage dancing around dressed as bumblebees!

Could also have been Dinosaur Jr on the Green Mind tour, my early teens were a bit of a blur (and my late teens, and my twenties………..)

mudpup
    Free Member

Van Halen in 1978 at the Finsbury Park Rainbow

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Motorhead, Bingley Hall Stafford as the headline act of the Heavy Metal Mayhem Brain Damage Party circa 1978. Original line up of Lemmy, ‘Fast’ Eddie Clarke and Philthy ‘Animal’ Taylor 8)

ChrisL

Sky, probably in 1983, so I’d have been 8 or so. Then nothing until 1998 when I saw Tori Amos, then Sparklehorse, then one or two others.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

errr… just had to google it and apparently it was summer 1980.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

langylad
    Free Member

Motorhead were staying at the Trafalgar hotel in Blackburn on that tour. I was eating there with my mum and dad and Animal turned a table over before storming off. Rock and Roll.

First concert, Magnum, King Georges Hall, Blackburn, about ’83

Spongebob
    Free Member

The Inner Circle at the legendary Marquee in Wardour Street. Summer 1979.

The sound rig had it’s own generator on an articulated lorry out in the street. It was LOUD!

Happy days!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

cough, Big Country, cough.

manitou
    Free Member

Wishbone Ash Feb 12th 1972 Newcastle City Hall

manitou
    Free Member

first single was you really got me by the Kinks, 1964 I think.

Philby

The Buzzcocks – Leeds University Students Union 1997 or 78

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Best band seen live would be a bit tricky. Where to start – kyuss, quicksand, early tool, soundgarden (badmotorfinger era), fugazi, slayer, bad brains, bosstones, clutch, weezer, propagandhi, bad religion, helmet, not nirvana, rollins, shelter, leatherface, billy bragg, buffalo tom….this could go on all night.

goes off to plug in record player.

Lootenant
    Free Member

Planet Gong – Floating Anarchy 1977 at Liverpool University. Quite how a mad hippy band fell in with punk like Crass and Alternative TV I’ve never quite figured but it was er, different.

Soup
    Free Member

The Stranglers, Bristol Hippodrome, 1990

One of the last concerts they did with Hugh Cornwell still in the band. Couldn’t hear properly for about 2 days.

Still the best live band I’ve ever seen.

alexathome
    Free Member

Wonderstuff – some venue in Exeter the name of which escapes me. 1989

that’d of been at the Lemon Grove at the university – i’d like to day i was there too, but i honestly can’t remember, you see i was too young to drive, but not too young ‘looking’ to get served the 60p a pint beer – i think i saw them, but i also saw ‘ride’ ‘birdland’ and the pixies a bit later(they were in the main hall i think) – happy days!! i’m not sure thou but i might of seen sham69 before this at the cooperage in Plymouth – god you guy’s have good memories!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

It is interesting that the great majority of ‘first gigs’ as well as ‘fave albums’ (in another post) seem to circle around the metal/rock/punk genres – hardly any other influences in there.

I wonder if the same ‘music’ gene compels us to fling ourselves around the middle of nowhere on push-bikes?

metalheart
    Free Member

It is interesting that the great majority of ‘first gigs’ as well as ‘fave albums’ (in another post) seem to circle around the metal/rock/punk genres – hardly any other influences in there.

I should think its more to do with the amount of 40-50 something mannies who appear to constitute the STW majority.

Big-Pete
    Free Member

Hawkwind – Leeds Uni – 72

tops5
    Free Member

1st one was James at Manchester Appollo – about 1988/’89 before they followed the baggy bandwagon!

brick
    Free Member

Mine was The Darling Buds. 1987 i think, at Kentish Town.

slimtubing
    Free Member

Another for the 86 Damned tour- the Barras, Glasgow
    lost a Blue suede brothel creeper during the gobbing and moshing and had to ask a big skinny mohicaned guy for it back after the gig. a bit scared. 😯

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

Marillion, Double O gig at the Hammy Odeon, 198-something…

Dan67
    Free Member

Red hot chilli peppers- Portman Road some time in 2006 I think

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Status Quo, unfortunately, New Bingley Hall, Stafford 1974 or 5.
    I was 14, they were loud and I thought they were smashing at the time.

failedengineer

it was either Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention, derek and the Dominoes or Junior walker and the Allstars, all 1970. Can’t remember which was first. Zappa, I think. I was just too young to see the Small Faces the previous year – couldn’t get in!

JAM29er
    Free Member

Sqeeze circa 81. Never pogoed so much b4 or after

Viewing 28 posts - 121 through 148 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘First Band you saw live?’ is closed to new replies.