Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • First attempt at photographing the Moon…
  • Please feel free to rip it apart

I seem to have knocked my focal length back to 250mm when I had 300mm available (Sony A55/Tamron 70-300), so may get back out there later.

Only PP is a heavy crop and some sharpening – noise is visible on the black at full size, so may knock the sharpening back a bit, but I don’t think it’s too visible at the size on here.

Focal length: 250mm
    Shutter speed: 1/125 sec
    Aperture: F11.0
    ISO: 200
    Exposure comp.: ±0.00

mintimperial

Yup, that’s definitely the moon, well done. 🙂

mintimperial

By the way, (I’m not familiar with Sonys but) if you have a live-view function on your camera, try using that – if you zoom in close enough you can see the moon moving across the sky, which is pretty awe inspiring, I think.

maccruiskeen

Nice pic, although I have a sudden urge to go out killing. Again.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That’s no moon……!

(Somebody had to do it!)

IanMunro
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9MZNEXrElw[/video]

zippykona

Can you photo the other side next time.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Moon pics are ace and you’ve got a good one there! I’ve taken some with my 50-500 Sigma. Moon races across the viewfinder at an astonishing rate and t’s not quite so easy as you think it’ll be.

One of my attempts

Moon 2 crop by gary_foulger, on Flickr

Cougar

Mate of mine took a picture of the moon with a webcam.

Results are here.

http://astro.neutral.org/gallery/moon.html

A couple of different crops/edits. Not sure which I prefer….

mattstreet

Not my shot but the OHs:

Not as good clarity as above, but a cool plane silhouette totally by accident! 8)

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Those all seem good to me, better than my feeble attempt.

Nothing wrong with that essel.

I fired off over 200 shots (albeit including some bracketed shots and a Raw file for each one, so that comes down to about 40-50 efforts) to get a couple of keepers, trying a multitude of shutter speeds and ISO settings.

I’m particularly pleased with the quality the Sony is producing though – considering my focal length is only 250mm, I’ve had to crop so heavily that the file size on the last pic for example is only 161kb.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

My first and last attempt

portlyone

Nice Tijuana

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ah, but I took mine through a spotting scope using a Lumix G1 & am frankly, a bit dissapointed with the results I’ve had with what I’ve tried (It’s probly just me being crap)
    Mine’s nowhere near as sharp as yours & the others.

donsimon
    Free Member

Mattstreet, that’s one of the best moon shots I’ve ever seen, and all because of the plane. 😀

theflatboy
    Free Member

i’ve only tried getting shots of the moon once and my settings were miles off. cheers for posting up in this thread, i’ll try some more like the above next time!

theflatboy
    Free Member

matt’s reminds me of this:

(atlantis shuttle across the sun, by the way)

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t make me get my camera out at this time of night.

portlyone

The shot of the ISS passing in front of the sun is wonderful.

clicky

crouisk
    Free Member

Last week I took some shots of other moons. 300mm on a A55 of the big moons of Jupiter.
    [/url] Untitled by crouisk, on Flickr[/img]

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

i’ve only tried getting shots of the moon once and my settings were miles off. cheers for posting up in this thread, i’ll try some more like the above next time!

Just out of interest, my settings were as follows
    Shutter Speed 1/200
    Aperture f/8
    ISO 100
    Focal length 400mm

Best to spot meter from the moon and keep the exposure time fairly short otherwise you start to get star trails plus the subject is on the move too

theflatboy
    Free Member

i think i mostly got the ISO and aperture miles off, as i didn’t really think how bright it actually was. ended up with a white blob. 😆

Dobbo

Cool pics, I like the close up ones.

simonralli2
    Free Member

You’d think the shuttle would melt being that close wouldn’t you?

SammyC
    Free Member

I think I read somewhere that the slowest shutter speed to get a sharp image of the moon is 1/60th, any slower and you get motion blur. Moving pretty fast when you consider how far away it is.

MrSmith
    Free Member

why stop down to f11? surely at infinity focus it’s going to be sharp at the lenses f5.6-8 sweet spot?

MrSmith – I was using shutter priority and the camera set the aperture. I’ll try full manual next time.

This is the original that the photos are cropped from – I think the camera has done a good job of the capture considering the focal length….

teasel
    Free Member

This was my first attempt many *cough* moons ago. Handheld Fujifilm S5800 on plain ol’ auto. Chuffed I got the craters without a tripod…

I’d be a gunslinger in another life…

Been out trying to better it tonight, but don’t think I managed it – the moon is full rather than waxing, so no shadows. It’s blummin bright too, also a bit windy….

scaredypants

cool plane silhouette

Does your OH work for the sunday sport ?

theflatboy
    Free Member

i saw how clear the moon was on the bike ride home and meant to try some snaps tonight. then i forgot. 😆

mattstreet

cool plane silhouette
    Does your OH work for the sunday sport ?

😆

Not any more and she was young and needed the money! 😉

Genuine lucky shot tho – didn’t even realise she’d got that until it was loaded up.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘First attempt at photographing the Moon…’ is closed to new replies.