• This topic has 9 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by deft.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • First Aid Kit supplies
  • keppoch

Happy New Year all!

I’m going on a big holiday to South America (not riding).

I have a basic first aid kit Lifesystems Adventurer:
    Lifesystems Adventurer

For this trip more would be needed to cover all eventualities. I am comparing it to a kit from Nomad travel clinic that we have been recommended:
    Nomad Ultimate

I am deciding between buying the supplies separately or just buying the Nomad kit.

The thing is since all the individual supplies will come in bigger packs I wonder if it might add up to more than the Nomad trip and be bulkier.

If I do go for topping up the supplies is Boots the best option or is there an easy source of buying singular items that will work out better cost wise.

Alternatively is there a better priced but equally comprehensive alternative to the Nomad kit?

celticdragon

Have a look at Medtree.co.uk is you know what bits you’d like to buy. Currently have 15% off offers on at the moment.

maccruiskeen

The thing is since all the individual supplies will come in bigger packs I wonder if it might add up to more than the Nomad trip and be bulkier.

You’ll have need for plasters etc for the rest of your life, not just for your holiday. Buy a comprehensive kit of stuff, pack what you need for the trip and you’re next first aid kit will be ‘free’.

is Boots the best option

probably one of the most expensive options on the high street – superdrug and even some of the poundshops, B&M, supermarket aisle will probably be cheaper.

EDIT – just clicked on the link to the Nomad kit…. at that price I hope it includes smelling salts – I feel a bit woozy.

backinireland
    Free Member

Some of the drugs in that kit are prescription only medicines, you need a consultation with a doctor before getting them?????

I always found SP services good for first aid stuff
    https://www.spservices.co.uk/item/Brand_TheTravellersEmergencyMedicalKit_25_0_683_1.html.

eugeo81
    Free Member

Another vote for medtree here. Replenished my first aid kits with a few orders from them. Always good on price and fast delivery.

tthew

Thanks for the medtree recommendation, just sent an order through for some bits that got used up at Llandegla a few weeks months 😯 ago, (been meaning to do that for ages).

Good site that.

bigblackshed

I buy direct from St Johns Ambulance. I’ve got a few kits on the go and go through them 3 or 4 times a year and reorder if necessary. The postage can be expensive for a few items, but if it’s only a small amount I’ll contact my local hall and ask if I can buy direct from them. They’re normally happy to help.

Sandwich

OP if you’re trained in their use that kit is missing triangular bandages and a flexi-splint for strapping and some quick-clot powder.

whitestone
    Free Member

No recommendations on contents but you might want to check what medicines each country allows you to “import” and whether you have to declare them. Thinking of the case of the woman who was jailed in Egypt recently.

deft
    Free Member

If you’ve got time before you go, get hold of the Jim Duff book (‘Pocket First Aid and Wilderness Medicine’) and give that a read before buying any kit.

SAM Splints are brilliant, just about every rucksack I own has one or two stuck down the back.

Don’t just end up with a massive booboo kit – plasters are a nicety, but an Israeli dressing can save a life. That said steristrips and superglue weigh next to nothing.

Things people tend not to think about until it’s too late:
    – keep gloves accessible (not buried) and in the right size(s)
    – have some plain gauze for soaking up assorted liquids
    – pen/sharpy and paper handy

You don’t need to use saline for cleaning wounds, bottled (or definitely clean) water is fine with an empty syringe for irrigation.

Go for the newer quikclot/celox gauze (if you’re that way inclined) rather than powder as compressing a wound is still the most important thing. Just watch that Cedric Gracia video 😯

As above be wary of prescription meds unless above-board. Don’t underestimate simple paracetamol and brufen for pain relief.

Carry a roll of duct tape.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘First Aid Kit supplies’ is closed to new replies.