Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • First Aid Kit Contents
  • wombat

Does anyone (or everyone) carry some sort of a first aid kit when out riding?

If so, what do you have in it?

I think my two crumpled plasters & a small tube of antiseptic cream may not be quite enough.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Out with a group or out into the real wilds yes. Local rides no

Knowledge is the key thing – there is a very limited number of injuries where a first aid kit makes a difference. serious stuff get the pros in, minor injuries – MTFU. In-between the two extremes a small amount of things can be fixed trailside with the right knowledge and kit that withut the knowledge and kit would be ride over.

CHB

hydrocortisone cream is main thing that I carry.
    I agree with TJ, that for most stuff a first aid kit is not needed.

If I carried stuff for a wilder trip then probably just a couple of sterile dressings and a triangular bandage. That should cover most of the lacerations you might encounter. Anyhthing more serious and you are looking at ambulance time anyway.

alexpalacefan

Duct Tape and a dressing if on my own, but the works if out with a group.

APF

crikey
    Free Member

Duct tape.

If you can’t fix it with duct tape, you need professional help.

antigee

space blanket type thingy, tape

and for my use only some strong painkillers

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Woman’s sanitary towel for absorbing blood and something to stem any bleeds such as a bandage or yes, duct tape.

I keep an energy gel or lucozade sweets in mine, more for fatigue than any serious injury.

A basic first aid course is a good investment, but its surprising how fast you forget even the basics.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Yes, always in the pack.
    Tape; big absorbent pad; crepe bandage; triangular bandage; a few plasters; sterile wipes.

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

Agree with the above about knowledge being key and if something’s gone seriously wrong then you’re looking at hospital time anyway.

I carry a few bits and bobs like a triangular bandage, zinc tape and a few dressings. But in all honesty, if someone’s had a big off and you’re waiting on some sort of transport to get them away to hospital, the biggest danger is exposure and shock. Thus I also carry a 3/4 length roll mate, and a couple of space blankets too.

If wombat is interested in learning more I can recommend the BASP outdoor first aid courses.

Macgyver

Mate of mine reckoned all you needed was tampons and duct tape as if you couldnt fix it with that ……….! Equally so if it was minor, why woul you bother with duct tape and tampons. I tend to carry a few basics but if away for a weekend I’ll pack a few bits more thAt could mean not having to do A&E on boarder line stuff. But thats a narrow window
    [

mlke
    Free Member

I use these posts which appear every now and again to check the first aid kit that sits unopened at the bottom of my pack.

Current contents:
    Insulating tape, steristrips, one tray each of antihistamines/water purifying tablets/painkillers, sewing kit, plasters, tiny swissarmyknife, 2 dressings, lighter, minilockknife,tickremover tool,suncream, antiseptic cream, fingerstall, compas, whistle, mini-led.

One too many knives and who pinched the super glue and sweeties that used to be in there?

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

For short stuff I only carry duct tape and a small dressing since if its really bad a first aid kit isn’t going to be any good and if its minor its not going to ruin a short thrash

Longer trips I carry duct tape, suncream (seasonal), painkillers, some plasters, couple of dressings, tick remover and antiseptic wipes. All the above is only to deal with small injuries that could spoil a ride.

Also carry a space blanket, compass, whistle etc although thats more suvival kit than first aid.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I carry dressings and bandages as I reckon it might be handy for patching up gashes and stuff and supporting broken bones. I think I have some tubes of sterile water too.

Sandwich

With the right training a lot of problems can be solved that will allow you off the hill without troubling MR, though HSE approved first aid courses don’t cover all you need. SAM splints are a good idea in the pack for those with the skills to use them, triangular bandages and a big orange bivi bag (handy as a stretcher).

bassspine
    Free Member

I recently added a pack of tubular compression bandage to the kit. Also got given a sample of a space blanket material anorak which is pretty good in addition to the survival bag

Blueadvocate

automated external defibrillator, saline drip, morphine.

I had an unscheduled dismount today and ended up with a hurty knee.
    Do some people really go to the trouble of wiping away the blood and applying antiseptic cream and a sterile dressing in that sort of situation ?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘First Aid Kit Contents’ is closed to new replies.