Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • First Aid Courses
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Any worth doing, by worth I mean value for money for someone who's never going to need it in a profesional capacity so never going to make the money back on it. Realised on Friday when the helmetless kid in front of me ate dirt that beyond the stuff I did on a St. Johns course 15 years ago aged 10 I've no idea and most of that is probably outdated. I had a fair idea that he was probably fairly concused and had probably disolcated his shoulder/broken colarbone. But wasn't going to do anything in case I made it worse.

Are there any charities that do them, mountain rescue etc?

johni
    Free Member

I did a BASP (British Association of Ski Patrollers) course that was good and included more outdoor/mountain related stuff that transfers to MTBing.

http://basp.org.uk/

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

The Blue Peris centre near llanberis do REC courses. They're run over 2 days and are designed for ourdoor type situations … repair a puntured lung with an innertube and gaffa tape. Lots of other outfits run them but Blue Peris will be about the cheapest as they're a non profit affair.

http://www.blueperis.co.uk/

I've done courses at a few venues over the years and in terms of value and course structure these fellas are very good. If you do book a course just tell them your situation regarding experience though … some courses will be full of folk who work in the outdoor industries doing refreshers which can mean the basics only get a brief mention.

brack
    Free Member

Where do you live mate?

Id be happy to talk through stuff with you if you are local.

chorlton
    Free Member

I've just done an outdoor first aid course with ITC.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I'm in Reading, £150 doesn't sound too bad though, I'll have to look into them when I get home. Might fire off an e-mail to my boss and see if there's any money in the budget for 1st aid training.

brack
    Free Member

Im down in Chichester…

£150 sounds ok

Have you no medical mates? Some of the first aid courses tend to be a tad naff tbh. The ones listed above are superb as they are run by people who can cut through the bs and put there own slant on it.

Steer clear of courses run by St Johns or any second income generating fire fighters.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘First Aid Courses’ is closed to new replies.