• This topic has 21 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by grum.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Firm kingsize mattress
  • Waderider
    Free Member

This is my attempt at the most exciting thread 2014.

Need a mattress as above. Any recommendations?

As this is such a boring thread comedy answers are permitted (but a few serious recommendations would be nice).

Budget up to 300 quid.

grum
    Free Member

Get a higher budget. Sorry!

shifter
    Free Member

I bought a Silentnight Pocket Essentials last year for 200 quid. Supposed to be a medium, more like firm imo 🙁

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Just got one of these:

http://www.bishopsbeds.co.uk/shop_products/view/kensington-stressfree

Made a radical difference to the quality of my sleep. Big zedz every night.

tang
    Free Member

Mattressonline.co.uk sorted us out for your budget, Cloud 9 brand. Nice and firm, 2 years in still good.

peter1979
    Free Member

300 quid is enough for a decent mattress. Anyone who is justifying spending best part of £1000 and thinking that makes a massive difference is kidding themselves.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

John Lewis own brand are well worth a look. We have a shiny one on our bed, and a budget one in one of the spare rooms. Slept on the latter recently when ill, and it was very comfy indeed. Not sure it’ll last as long as the more expensive one, but very comfortable either way.

northernmatt

We just got an Ikea one for £300. No idea what it’s called, some unpronounceable Scandinavian shite probably. Supposed to be medium/firm, the one we had a lie on in the show/arguing room was a softer than our new one, probably needs a bit to bed in (pun not intended). Bloody comfy though. Don’t think you’ll find a standard 5ft king size on the website thought they do UK sizes not just the mental Ikea sizes.

scaredypants

We have a shiny one on our bed

Incontinence is a bugger, isn’t it ? 🙁

footflaps

We have a euro king size bed, which means mattress choice is very limited in the UK. There was only one option for a hard mattress I could find online, on matressnextday.co.uk, and it was something silly like £250, which seemed far too cheap. However, two years on it’s doing fine…

Jamie
    Free Member

I bought a John Lewis Ortho 1200 recently as a special buy, bit more* than your budget, tho.

On the plus side, there was a couple trying out the mattresses who had bought one a month ago, but didn’t get on with it, so JL were letting them return it and take another. Service like that might be worth factoring in.

*In true STW style it’s nearly 2x as much at £549, but they do the Ortho 800 for £399.

wallop

We have a John Lewis mattress, it’s lovely. The good thing about JL is the choice. Basically, you know that they’ll all be decent quality, so you don’t have to deliberate over which brand to buy. You can just go to a shop, lie on them all and make your decision based on which is most comfortable. Bosh.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jamie, our shiny (as in more expensive) one was a similar deal. Tiny nick in the fabric from the warehouse, many pounds off the price.

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie, our shiny (as in more expensive) one was a similar deal. Tiny nick in the fabric from the warehouse, many pounds off the price.

Wasn’t even damaged goods. Just some deal on the website, which they seem to do on certain items at certain points.

Special buy: We’ve committed to buying a large number of mattresses from our suppliers with specially selected fillings and increased spring counts. This enables us to secure lower prices in comparison to our year-round range, without compromising on John Lewis quality.

Strangely they wouldn’t match the price in store, so had to order online, which wouldn’t let me add the recycle old mattress option, so I had to ring them. Almost veered off into Catch22 territory.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Rest assured pocket mattress with inbuilt latex top, just the best night sleep I’ve ever had

ASC
    Free Member

Go to a good independant bed retailer, ask friends and relatives for their recommendations. I own one, so I’m slightly biased :wink:. I buy from the company that manufactures Jl and Next own brand Mattresses. Some Pocket Mattresses are unsuitable for slatted bases btw that’s something a decent retailer will advise you on,

natrix
    Free Member

I’ve been impressed with our local branch of Bensons for Beds, they have a firmness rating system and have always been really helpfull in giving tips on how to select a mattress.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I got a John Lewis one recently – a display one in the sale. Reason I wanted the display is because one side is firm (for me) and the other medium (wife).
    Dunno what the original price was but the sale ones were £600 – I got the display one for £300 delivered. Model was a Hempure 3000.

I’d seen it a few months before and went in and asked when the display ones were on sale – they said to come in in December and put dibs on it.

So, John Lewis have good deals if you don’t mind waiting

Waderider
    Free Member

Thanks folks, ordered one from John Lewis.

Grum wins the award for most socially inept comment displaying a small personality disorder.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Grum wins the award for most socially inept comment displaying a small personality disorder.

Very true, bet he’s never even been to Aldi or Lidl!

edhornby

Try loads out, I know that sounds obvious but me and Mrs Ed thought we wanted a firm and ended up with a medium that felt too soft until about 2 nights in and I quickly realised that it was a total winner. Ours was JL as well, We got a good divan base for it and I like that too because if you are 180cm or more a footboard can stop you properly stretching out when you sleep and really resting when sleeping

grum
    Free Member

Think you’ve revealed more about yourself tbh. I’m only basing it on my (admittedly not massive) experience – bought a mattress years ago for about £500 which was great. Bought one more recently for about £300 which has been really disappointing.

If you want to read more into it than that I guess you go right ahead.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Firm kingsize mattress’ is closed to new replies.