Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Firewood deliveries North Manchester
  • Harry_the_Spider

People of North Manchester,

My log store needs a refill. I’ve been quoted £60 per cubic metre + delivery. Is this about right?

Where do you get yours from?

Ta.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

eerrrr…. FREE. Dad works as a carpenter and does other general stuff so we get loads of it, windowframes, cut down trees, etc. Currently got stacks of the stuff.

Harry_the_Spider

Fabulous.

Dobbo

Sounds a touch high, I pay around £45 a dumpy bag although it’s not a full meter cubed, thats meant to be hardwood but I think it’s a bit of a mix thats if i buy 6 bags. Going to look at a Different suppliernext week who quotes £45 + del for hardwood dumpy bags.

Make sure it’s well seasoned as well, makes a big difference.

nbt

the only local supplier to us charges 70 and the wood isn’t properly seasoned 👿

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks Dobbo, but he isn’t going to deliver to North Manchester. 😉

singletrackjay
    Free Member

Harry

Not entirely sustainable for NW Leeds I know, but I have taken a large portion from these guys, yes:

http://www.certainlywood.co.uk

Kiln dried oak and ash in my bag. Really happy with this batch bearing in mind my local supplier’s so-called hardwood that came last year was a mixed bag of non- seasoned hard/softwood rubbish

Dobbo

but he isn’t going to deliver to North Manchester.

Sorry thought it was a general question, just giving an idea of what others pay! Seen your “People of North Manchester” now 😳

geoffj

I’ve been quoted £60 per cubic metre + delivery. Is this about right?

Depends on delivery charge, but that isn’t far off the mark. If you bare in mind the increase in leccy, petrol, diesel, gas and CH oil over the past couple of years, log prices should be rising too.

You might want to have a look here: http://firewoodsuppliers.arbtalk.co.uk/listing/alllocations.php

EDIT: I finished splitting and stacking the last of the April windfall scavange last night. Fully sorted for 2012/2013 now :mrgreen:

Harry_the_Spider

Boom! Just been quoted 4m³ hardwood delivered for £200.

Pyro

Hmmm, the problem of buying by volume.

There’s one fallacy above that i’d have to comment on – “softwood rubbish”. Not really, chemically you get near-as-dammit the same energy output per unit mass in either type, for a standard moisture content. Hardwoods are just denser, generally, so greater output per m3. That said, if you’re taking the extremes, balsa is a hardwood…

And like you say, the standard ‘volume’ measure is also a bit cobblers, since logs don’t exactly tessalate perfectly (we have a woodfuel seller around here who seems to think the Hilux is an SI unit…) So your metre cubed load looks pretty variable. If it’s a metre cubed of freshly felled wet hardwood it’ll weigh a metaphorical tonne and burn like a not-very-burny-at-all thing. If it’s a metre cubed of seasoned softwood, you’ve a lower potential output in total, but at least it won’t burn like a fresh turd and gum up your flue.

Best bet is to look for someone who sells by the tonne at a guaranteed moisture content – 25-35% is the norm for stoves etc. Ignore anyone who tries to sell an “oven dry tonne”, it’s a mythical construct of 0% MC, which is practically impossible to achieve and maintain. Kiln-dried also isn’t really worth the premium, you can air dry timber to 25% easily enough without extra energy input.

(Sorry, rant over. Used to consult on these things…)

derek_starship
    Free Member

Pyro – Hilux does sound like a possible SI unit.

But of light output, not hardwood volume!

Harry_the_Spider

His exact words were something along the lines of…

I can do you a 12’ trailer for 200 quid delivered. That’s about 4 m³. I’ll chuck in some kindling too if you can wait a couple of weeks. I’m a bit behind you see as it is really my lad’s business but he’s gone travelling in South Africa so I can only do it at weekends. We load up on Friday night and drop off first thing Saturday, or Sunday… yadda… yadda… yadda…[/b]

I’m guessing that selling fire wood isn’t an exact science. Neither is archaeology if you believe the baddie from Raiders of The Lost Ark… but I digress.

nbt

Harry, where’s that from? will he come south of the river?

Pyro

Fair enough Harry. We worked with people dealing to commercial and industrial woodfuel boilers though and it was a farce at times. 3hr guy in question told a major commercial customer “it’s X-quid per trailer load”, when they’d asked for his rough pence-per-kWh…

Harry_the_Spider

Pyro, this’ll last me a couple of years so it will dry out on its own in the log store. My main concern is that the guy will turn up when he says he will! If I was doing this commercially I’d probably do a bit more research.

NBT

DB Farming in Bolton. You can pick it up from him too if you’ve got a van/trailer. email me if you want his number.

Sunnybank Forestry in Urmston are quoting £175 (3.5 m³ approx) for a trailer + delivery. They may be a better bet for a delivery to the south side.

globalti
    Free Member

£60 is about right; I’m about to take delivery of a 1m3 builder’s bag of seasoned ash and beech for £50. At least the bloke says it’s seasoned and ready to burn…. I should have done this in March or April really so that I could store it through the summer.

You will know if it’s seasoned if there are drying cracks running radially through the logs and they ring when you knock them together. They will also not smell green.

rondo101
    Free Member

£49 + delivery for a dumpybag of mixed hard & softwood is the best price I found in Bristol.

I was offered “a trailer-full” of unseasoned hardwood for £65 in Feb, which the guy reckoned was 1.5-2m3, but the wife talked me out of it (as we’ve only got space for a cube). I’ll be better prepared next spring & build another woodshed.

Got my first gas bill through yesterday for a full year of woodburner use & they’ve refunded me £180, whereas I’ve usually paid off winter’s deficit.

nickf
    Free Member

Anyone any recommendations as close as possible to Watford?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

CONTACT philip land 07407360027
    manchester based

currently £25 for a half ton bag, delivered and stacked!

and he’s a biker too

his ebay ad

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220840129707?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

also

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIREWOOD-LOGS-/160646222227?pt=UK_HG_FireplacesMantelpieces_RL&hash=item256742d193

nbt

have you tried the wood personally? that looks great, will order a load and see how it goes!

Harry_the_Spider

Same here.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

not yet, just about to order now I have enough space.

geoffj

You’ve got to laugh at the wide boys selling 1 ton bags. There is no way you will get a 1000kg of seasoned logs in one of those builders bags. 👿

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

in fairness, it’s a 1 ton bag, not 1 ton of logs

geoffj

in fairness, it’s a 1 ton bag, not 1 ton of logs

You are right, but it is misleading.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

those bags don’t even weigh a ton with aggregate in usually, more like 900kgs

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Firewood deliveries North Manchester’ is closed to new replies.