Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • firewood
  • SaxonRider

As the (very) proud new owner of a Morso Squirrel stove, I am wondering about people’s favoured source of firewood. Having grown up in Canada with endless supplies of free stuff, I am loathe to spend the 100-or-so-pounds per cubic metre being charged by some of the companies online.

What do those of you with nice woodpiles spend? And what other sources would you suggest?

Smarty
    Free Member

mcmoonter will be along soon the show you his wood 😛

bassspine
    Free Member

Depends where you are based. I’d never even consider buying online. This year, I got a twin axle trailer load for £120, ash, oak and sweet chestnut, well seasoned.

Smarty
    Free Member

I am loathe to spend the 100-or-so-pounds per cubic metre being charged by some of the companies online

Jeeeeez…..If it cost that much per cubic metre I’d be taking mine out 😐

I pay £30 per cubic metre but I can’t tell you where I buy it…………………….it’s a secret 😆

2hottie
    Free Member

We have a Morso Squirrel 1412, stove, it’s fed on seasoned hardwood which costs around £70 per tonne.(northwest prices)We also add in some smokeless coal pellets to help keep the temperature up and the embers glowing.

chewkw
    Free Member

Very nice. I like.

😮

wotnobrakes
    Free Member

I get logs from local farms if I can afford it, but just lately I would rather get pallets from yards around where I work, they burn really hot but only last for roughly 1 pallet a day. Mix with some coal and it is loads cheaper than the very expensive logs..

maxray
    Free Member

Yeah I’m turning into a weirdo scanning skips and the like for burnable stuff. 🙂

SaxonRider

I’m in South Wales should anyone have specific regional suggestions, but what you have said already helps.

Now, at risk of hijacking my own thread, I just uploaded a picture of my new toy…

b1galus
    Free Member

i used to burn offcuts from a local sawmill which were free to uplift most of it was softwood which burnt hot and quick and used to stain the glass but it was free

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Nice brickwork on the hearth. The opening on mine is around the same size as yours, if I did it again, i’d take it right out to the sides like 2hottie’s above. I didn’t have enough time to rebuild the chimney breast. somebody else had already hacked it to bits before I got there, had to put a lintel in to support it.

I’m also burning filler pallets on mine, burns hot, but I have to fill it much more often

mcmoonter
    Free Member

mcmoonter will be along soon the show you his wood

You called? 8)

I used to get mine for £0 from my local sawmill. But increased demand means I now pay £15 per trailer load. Have you got a sawmill nearby, transport and a chainsaw?

richmars

Buy a wood.

Innes
    Free Member

Wood store envy! 😈

anokdale
    Free Member

Saxonrider i am in SouthWales or will be Tuesday night when i leave Libya 😆 i get most of my logs from a secret source £70 for a Toyota Hi Lux pick up bed full, also had wood like mcmoonters from Pontrilas timber not sure if you are near there but any sawmill will sell of bits and Pontrilas deliver off cuts of hardwood by the Metre bag, good stuff my mate says, i have two trees down as a result of this winter so the boss says so i have some firewood already sorted.

At our place in France you buy it by the steere cubic metre 55 Euros a pop and already three years old when you get it, the stuff in the UK always needs a year in storage for best results.

Trampus
    Free Member
    RealMan
    Free Member

mcmoonter are you preparing for a zombie apocalypse or something?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘firewood’ is closed to new replies.