Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 281 total)
  • Fire up the Fergie, time to build my new studio.
  • nonk
    Free Member

Get in ! A mcmoonter build thread these should go in the print mag yknow 🙂

properbikeco
    Free Member

hi mate, just interested as I am planning something similar!

regular build updates are what we want!!!

shaggy

Nothing to add, but just to say, I love this.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

After a bit of faffage going to the merchants this morning I’ve got everything on site to get the roof on before Wednesday’s forecasted rain. I managed to get about half of the purlins up in a couple of hours this afternoon.

If I could just get it watertight I could relax a little, maybe I’m a pessimist but I hope those last few good days weren’t our summer.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

What model is your Fergie, TVO or diesel?

mcmoonter
    Free Member

What model is your Fergie, TVO or diesel?

It’s a diesel, I fill up the take once every two years.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Not doing big miles then! I have a TVO that I run on home heating oil but I’d like to change it for a diesel. Cracking thread by the way, keep it up!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I mostly use it for moving the log splitter around and for lifting stuff with the loader.

I’ve got a petrol paraffin one too, but as I said earlier I really need to pull it out from the back of the shed and have another look at why it wont turn over.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

They are fairly reliable so I’m sure it won’t be anything major. I’ve great memories of my grand dad taking me to the sawmill sitting on the mudguard as a six year d while he was driving.

piemonster

More an Allis Chalmers man myself.

Got some very strong fond memories of restoring a little Ransomes crawler as a youngster. Lots of fun fabricating the rubber spacers for the tracks.

That poor Fergie could do with a lock of paint.

piemonster

Ahhhhhhhh, Fordsons. Them too

mcmoonter
    Free Member

That poor Fergie could do with a lock of paint.

😳

Suitably shamed, in my defence it lived outdoors in Orkney before I bought it. Orkney has possibly the worst salt bourne air imaginable. When ever something has needed working on, I have bits sand blasted and hand painted. it’s true it needs a lick of paint all over. It’s stored indoors now so it won’t get a lot worse.

piemonster

Must remember to visit my cousins collection next time I’m back in red neck country (Norfolk)

Barns and Nissen huts stuffed full of the things, couple of steam engines to boot.

Mind you, his neck is redder than Mars

rickmeister

Grandad was an inspector for Marshalls in Gainsborough. Quite a “track” record…

This:

To this:

to this:

I had a great time playing on them all…

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I love those green Field Marshalls, never seen a tracked one before.

piemonster

He’ll of a kick back on the flywheel if you get the crank start wrong.

Ba dum ba dum ba dum

jam-bo

Sharki – can come and build one of those sheds at mine if you like. Been clearing the perfect spot for it…

rickmeister

Those early tractors with flywheels used to power threshing machines using long leather belts, H&S would probably have a coronary..

piemonster

The ignition system on Field Marshals still makes me smile

piemonster

Single cylinder tractor, Genius

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Superb shed!

And if I should ever have any money I may have to get you to paint a nice piece of Hoy for me 😉 I have a couple of Jane Glue’s on the wall at the moment which are great, but I just think that the place is kinda calling out for a more dramatic approach!

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Those early tractors with flywheels used to power threshing machines using long leather belts, H&S would probably have a coronary..

Rick I remember after going to the sawmill with my granddad him hooking the fergie pulley up to a completely unguarded circular saw with a long belt to cut the sticks he bought. None of that now!!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I got an early start today trying to get the west gable window frames in and the apex above them clad. It was surprising time consuming. It only left my brother and I enough time to get half the roof on before he had to pick up the kids after school.

There is another part sheet to slide under the log pile stoop. Fingers crossed that tomorrow’s forecast isn’t as bad as I fear it could be. I could probably fit the windows into the area that is under cover.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Not the greatest pictures in fading light with my phone.

I finished framing the east gable and we clad it, then had just enough time before the school bell to get the last roof sheet on. It just needs the ridge and one or two loose ends to complete the roof. I can’t believe we dodged the rain, but we had a bitterly cold easterly wind carrying a fine mist. Maybe tomorrow I can frame up the windows.

[img]https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/537706_10200787974406879_1605212134_n.jpg[/img]

footflaps

Very nice progress.

Are you going to insulate it at all?

paulmgreen
    Free Member

Fantastic.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Are you going to insulate it at all?

I was pondering that too. The window glass will fill a bit more than half the vertical height of the walls, that leaves about 3 1/2 feet from the floor to the window sill. There will be a four inch gap that will be worth insulating. The glass was recycled from bus shelters. It’s thick stuff 6-8mm, with no air gap it would lose a lot of heat. It might be possible to put some insulation in between the purlins, but it would be a faff. The tin itself has some sort of membrane that is supposed to catch condensation drips. We’ve used some foam strips to seal the ridge and the bottom.

Would it be worth isolating the gaps between the floor joists?

I’m going to put a stove in it, I’ve got a lot of wood so I could be quite extravagant with the heating. I’ve got my eye on one of these for it. It’s only a shed at the end of the day, I need natural light to work by, so it’s a bit of a compromise.

Total build costs so far are £800 for timber and nails, £600 for the roof. The floor will be another £200. With the stove the total should be around £2200. one could so easily spend a whole lot more, but I think this build/budget will do all I need it for.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Would it be worth isolating the gaps between the floor joists?

The never ending battle between failing eyesight and spellcheckers. 🙁

That should read insulating.

footflaps

I’d guess that as heat rises, insulating the roof would make most sense, but not idea how well it would work if the walls and floor are uninsulated.

properbikeco
    Free Member

Do a floating floor if you are going to insulate – drop down ply or OSb, then sheet insulation, then ply on top

For the roof if there is no membrane you are pretty much committed to using kingspan if you want it insulated – overboarding with OSB is a good enough vapour barrier

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I quite liked the sound of isolating the gaps. Was going to suggest perhaps leaving a gap around the gaps!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I only had half a day today, torrential rain from the east turned the ground to a slip and slide mudfest

I sorted out the framing at the west side and clad it in weatherboarding. I just managed to get three sheets of glass in before darkness fell.

findo_gask
    Free Member

Hi mcmoonter. Always enjoy your build threads. Very envious.

I was checking out the links to your paintings on that other thread. Really like the look of your work. I was particularly drawn to the couple of seascapes I saw (I’m an island boy, so that must’ve resonated with me).

Do you have an up-to-date listing of your work for sale somewhere?

Cheers. Nice progress on the deluxe shed btw 🙂

rickmeister

Ever thought of your own Go-Ape for the kids ?

jodafett

^^^^^^^^
    Your just trying to instigate another build thread……well done!

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Do you have an up-to-date listing of your work for sale somewhere?

Most of the work I do goes directly to the gallery or is to commission, thankfully the gallery sells most everything I send them. I’ve got a couple of things on the go which I could send you pics of before they go to the gallery. Might be a month before I get them finished.

Send me your email address and I’ll send you some pics when I have them framed.

Once this project is complete I will get back to work in earnest.

boblo
    Free Member

You don’t muck around do you? 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Rickmeister, something along these lines?

Boblo, I like a project that can be dreamt up, and be realized quickly before I’d lose interest or be overwhelmed. I’ve got a friend who started this huge garden project, he’ll probably die before he sees it finished. Short and sweet is where it’s at for me.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

The weather today was awful, only sun and snow were missing from the meteorologist’s lexicon.

I managed to frame up the east, north and south sides in readiness for the weatherboarding I picked up this afternoon. I’m going to try some glass in the north side too while I have it, it would silly not to at least try it. It means I will have to get creative with shelving. I had intended to make a tool board on that wall. Still, it might be nice to see through the building.

swiss01
    Free Member

i don’t envy you if you’ve been out doing this today. i never noticed this thread when it went up or i could’ve had a burl down to help/hang about. back to work now but if you need a pair of hands next week (and it’s not raining) give me a shout

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 281 total)

The topic ‘Fire up the Fergie, time to build my new studio.’ is closed to new replies.