Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Fire road upto Granada (Skyline Afan)
  • sonofapitch
    Free Member

Of to Afan Saturday :)and after the last time I was there an old guy suggested trying this route.
    Has anyone done this route? and do you ride along the cycle track back past skyline cycles to pick up this fire road ?
    Any locals here,

diawl2
    Free Member

If you download the map from MBWales you should be able to work it out, plus all the other bits you can link or miss out.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Looks like the Red and Black line on the map. 🙂
    How’s that compare to The Wall climb?

diawl2
    Free Member

One’s a fire road and one isn’t. 🙄

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Op asks about a fire road and I belive The Wall is also a fire road.

diawl2
    Free Member

75% of The Wall climb is singletrack.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

^ well that’s some of the widest singletrack ive ever rode 😉

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Bump. Anyone?

Nipper99
    Free Member

a good outing is from GC down the cycle path to the wall ascent and up to the w2 link. accross this to the energy section on whites. through this, left from the end of energy up forest track to the hill up past the black on whites to windy point. straight on from windy point to heartburn on skyline. on to the forest road after heartburn up to the junction with bridleway, miss out granada, and along bridleway and then onto skyline as normal. grand day out.

snaps
    Free Member

Not thought of doing it but This fireroad is the one you want
    Might try it next time I’m up there.

wrecker
    Free Member

^ well that’s some of the widest singletrack ive ever rode

+1
    Two big fire road climbs, no techy climbing at all.

pdw
    Free Member

Because the one thing that Skyline needs is more fire road climbing?

diawl2
    Free Member

Eh? Must’ve changed since I last did it then.

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Cheers snaps.
    Will try that Saturday and report back with a Garmin conect route.

rickon
    Free Member

^ well that’s some of the widest singletrack ive ever rode

+1
    Two big fire road climbs, no techy climbing at all.

It’s now singletrack from the Rhyslin car park up to the left hand bend up to the Tramway.

Earl_Grey

Yup, never used to like The Wall but like Rickon says, it’s now got a lot more singletrack and is much better for it.

hugor
    Free Member

There is the new part of the climb called the elevator which is singletrack but its pretty short. Its just after the park after the road underpass. 75% or more of the Wall climb is still fire road though.

rickon
    Free Member

Still fireroad, but still the best quick blast in the Afan valley 🙂

chvck
    Free Member

Am I in the minority when I say that I actually prefer fireroad climbing to singletrack climbing? I’m not against singletrack climbing per say but I do usually find it much more tiring and that it takes longer than fire roads! Then my preferred style of riding is to mindlessly grind up the hills and then hoon down them on good descents.

cheers_drive

I’m the opposite, I always get dropped on the fireroads – my mind wanders because of the boredom and I just can’t get into it. However if a singletrack climb is twisty or techy enough I get in the zone and I can keep up (or at least keep the others in sight).

sonofapitch
    Free Member

Cracking ride thanks for the pointer Snapps.
    ride to the end of the cycle path, straight across the the road,turn left at the house with the new porch,then first right. Simples 🙂
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/156553682

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Fire road upto Granada (Skyline Afan)’ is closed to new replies.