• This topic has 22 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Fire-pits..talk to me
  • tymbian
    Free Member

Opinions please..

Ashey? Smokey? Worthwhile?

Any home-made ones???? I love a project!

organic355
    Free Member

Ashey? Smokey? Worthwhile?

yes
    yes
    no, go inside when it gets cold.

had one of these and sold it, too smokey. ones with chimneys may be better.

CaptainSlow

If it’s windy the ash will get blown out. Chimnea may be better in that regard.

ronjeremy
    Free Member
    P20

We have that Weber one pictured. Love it. We did manage to smoke the entire house though

pacerc200
    Free Member

Use an old washing machine drum, cheap and shouldnt rust.

Saccades
    Free Member

I have a washing machine drum in a steel stand with built it heat deflector.

works a treat, plus we use the top bit to szizzle kabanos and chorizo through the night.

Saccades
    Free Member

will sort a photo later if you want.

Drac

Sounds interesting I have an old washer waiting to go to the scrap man.

tymbian
    Free Member

cant wait to see the above…

MrNutt
    Free Member

yes, photos!

captain-slow
    Free Member

CaptainSlow – Member

If it’s windy the ash will get blown out. Chimnea may be better in that regard.

just like to point out that this captain slow would never recommend anything so poncey as a chimenea – what’s wrong with a bonfire? 😉

matt_outandabout

We ‘liberated’ this one from a remote ‘bothy’ that a bust hotel owned – it was a Landy 110’s worth of litter and junk I removed while waiting for DofE groups…This is the only thing that did not head for the tip.
    It is ace for sitting round, s’mores, burning waste etc.
    I would not pay as much as it should be, I would get a lower one (better sat round), and I would get the grill for it if it was not £120…

IMGP3025 by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

matt_outandabout

Washing machine drums?
    Fill yer boots

samuri
    Free Member

What a rubbish view you have from your house there. 😉

matt_outandabout

I know. We are leaving – anyone want a nice 4 bed house with that view 🙂

Saccades
    Free Member

Sorry for the delay – PS3 is poor at uploads and photobucket has gone to the dogs.

The ground is before I got around to landscaping – so not a real reflection of the fire pit.

Get dry wood and there is bugger all smoke – we use peat a lot which is smokey – but very nice with whiskey (and woodford reserve).

God knows what has happened to the pictures – I used to be able to link in 30 secs.

Saccades
    Free Member

bump for the interested crowd.

Drac

Cool right then next lot of shifts off I will dismantle the old washer.

Drac

Done was pretty easy to rip to bits just need to work out legs for it.

Hareydan
    Free Member

Drac, a mate of mine has made a few washing machine drum fires, he leaves the gubbins including the concrete weight attached, that way you can spin them with the fire going (which looks cool!), but also means you don’t need to worry about sorting out legs etc. Apologies if this info’s a bit late for you…

thepurist

Drac – We left the axle fitted to the back of the drum and refitted the drive pulley, makes a perfect stand.

Drac

Yeah I was a bit hasty and brain dead with having no sleep for 36 hours, I smashed the axle off then had the brainwave of using it as a stand. Cheer though. 😳

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Fire-pits..talk to me’ is closed to new replies.