Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Finland with work. Worth taking the bike?
  • kevj
    Free Member

It looks like I am going to have a week in Finland for training with a company I have just got a job with.
    Not sure where I will be staying yet, but obviously the lure of the trails on a ‘free’ week away seems enticing.

So, is it worthwhile taking the bike over or should I not bother?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Depends where I guess. I was in the north, lots of lakes and pretty, not sure if it would be that interesting for road biking, no idea re trails, though I doubt it would be amazing mtb country.

kevj
    Free Member

That’s pretty much what I’d found out. Google doesn’t return many results and there are not many videos on YouTube.
    I was hoping it was different and that it was an mtb mecca!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    zimbo
    Free Member

Mid/Southern Finland’s pretty flat, but beautifully quiet and serene. Normally not much to test the uphill muscles but you could cover big distances on a road bike. They have an amazing cycle path network for a country where roads are so quiet in the first place.
    Many roads are unmade and there are plenty of forest tracks, so you should be able to find some half decent MTB routes, and, dependent on where you are, maybe even a few hills.
    Hope you enjoy it – it’s a great place! (Did I mention I’m half Finnish?)

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Its a very nice place to go quite flat though. Lots of lakes and trees, also lots of midges! Take some avon skin so soft etc.

Pigface
    Free Member

Lots of tight twisty technical trails but as most of Suomi is as flat as a pancake don’t expect lung bursting climbs. Most towns have cycling lanes so take the bike just to explore, Finns are pretty chilled until you put beer in them 😀 then all hell can break loose.

Its a difficult language but all Finns can speak English they are just a bit shy to do so, learn some Suomi: Kitos =thanks Moi = Hello weirdly Moi moi = bye bye Hyva (Hoover) = good, well done.

Finnish girls are gorgeous. Support Jokipojat of Jokerit in ice hockey 😉

zimbo
    Free Member

Kitos =thanks

Kiitos…the extra “i” is important! Pronounced “keetoss” (roughly)!

Pigface
    Free Member

Kiitos Zimbo 😀

zimbo
    Free Member

Olkaa hyvä! Pretty chuffed someone else on here knows some Finnish!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Finland with work. Worth taking the bike?’ is closed to new replies.