• This topic has 139 replies, 43 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Mark.
Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 140 total)
  • Pillock in a jag (Unbelieveabe content)
  • Ro5ey
    Free Member

And MikeC knows Sammy Davis Jnr…

“(some of my best friends are black/gay/Jewish).”

😀

boblo
    Free Member

Mikec knows Padde Bra, Fred Dibna and life in the ghetto but shhhhhhhh….. 🙂

scaredypants

Sammy Davis Jnr was black ??

mikeconnor
    Free Member

Is there something in their beliefs about dogs or is it my son who’s scary?

I know what you’re on about. It’s a cultural thing, I’m told. Jewish people haven’t had dogs as pets like other European groups, so many aren’t comfortable around dogs. None of my Jewish friends have dogs; none grew up with dogs in the home either. i’ve noticed the same sort of reaction from Asian people towards dogs too; again, it’s not part of their culture to have dogs as domestic pets really. I dare say the same is true of other immigrant groups. So a lack of understanding breeds fear, it seems.

So after all that you’re now saying that Orthodox Jews have the same amount of car accidents !

I have absolutely no idea of the statistics of car accidents according to culture/race/religious belief. I was merely pointing out personal opinions based on observation and experience. I think what you’re doing is reading something and interpreting it in your own way according to your own agenda, rather than in the manner it was intended. That seems to be a common issue on this forum.

If you are young, male and have a ‘sporty’ looking car, you are much more likely to get stopped by police than other groups. Is this ageist and sexist? Or are the police simply acting on observation, experience and knowledge that people of that particular demographic are more likely to drive too fast, be uninsured, be in possession of drugs etc?

I shall be mindful to act without prejudice on my journey to Stamford Hill later. Wish me luck.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

the dog ting with orthodox jews is indeed cultural, also some more pragmatic jews see them as a waste of money, but its mainly the fact that dogs were associated with the oppression of jews during pogroms and more recently with the holocaust.

Montalbano makes reference to poor road skills, ‘driving like a dog on drugs’ .

Junkyard
    Free Member

I think what you’re doing is reading something and interpreting it in your own way according to your own agenda, rather than in the manner it was intended. That seems to be a common issue on this forum.

you have read the critical mass thread too then 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I have absolutely no idea of the statistics of car accidents according to culture/race/religious belief. I was merely pointing out personal opinions based on observation and experience. I think what you’re doing is reading something and interpreting it in your own way according to your own agenda, rather than in the manner it was intended.

My “own agenda” ? What agenda ? I haven’t got an agenda !

You informed everyone that orthodox Jews are apparently bad drivers, and according to you “facts support such claims”.

Well quite unsurprisingly I was fascinated by such claims – I had never previously heard the suggestion that some religious groups might pose higher risks on the roads. So I asked a few questions – there was no “agenda” other than I was intrigued by your allegation !

Then I became intrigued, again unsurprisingly, by your claim that you never suggested that orthodox Jews were bad drivers – your U-turn was really quite spectacular !

And now apparently your inconsistencies are all my fault because I have “an agenda” ! 😀

rudebwoy
    Free Member

like two bald men fighting over a comb…….

mikeconnor
    Free Member

You informed everyone that orthodox Jews are apparently bad drivers, and according to you “facts support such claims”.

no, what i actually did, and you’ll learn this if you read my earlier posts carefuly, was state that:

My girlfriend lives in an area with a large population of orthodox Jews. Many of them are terrible drivers; the dents and scratches on their cars is (old) testament to this. We are always very wary of cycling in her area, as the standard of driving is so bad. they simply don’t look where they’re going, and God/Yehova/Yaweh help you if you are on a bicycle.

Which is quite different to your interpretation that I claim all orthodox jews are bad drivers. Just many of the ones i see in Stamford Hill. This is a common topic of conversation amongst residents of that area, many of whom have had accidents or near-misses with cars driven by orthodox Jewish drivers. This is observation, experience and knowledge. At no point have i claimed that any particular religious groups are bad drivers; it just so happens that the majority of bad drivers I witness in that area happen to be orthodox jews. That’s an observation. I have no idea what makes them such bad drivers, and have at no point claimed that their bad driving is down to their religious beliefs. it could simply be purely coincidental that a large number of bad drivers in that area also happen to be orthodox Jews. however, my observations and experience tells me to exercise caution when cycling in that area. If you lived in or near that area, i’m sure you would do the same. Maybe it is a form of ‘cultural profiling’, but exactly the same in principle to police stopping young males in sporty cars. Is it ‘racist’? No more so than assuming brown-skinned people in a predominantly Muslim populated area won’t want to drink alcohol or eat pork. all the football hooligans i’v ever seen have been white men; I make no claim that all white men are football hooligans.

My “own agenda” ? What agenda ? I haven’t got an agenda !

What, other than the one where you seem intent on claiming i have labelled all orthodox Jews as ‘bad drivers’?

In other news, I have witnessed evidence ot the contrary that ‘all black people have a wonderful sense of rhythm’, ‘all Irish people are drunken alcoholics’, and ‘all Asians run corner shops’. I have however met some black people who are wonderful dancers, one or two alcoholic irishmen, and the corner shop down the street is run by asian people.

you have read the critical mass thread too then

I have indeed; in fact it was there I noticed the propensity of people such as yourself, to spout ill-informed ignorant rubbish about something they had no knowledge or experience of.

Rubber_Buccaneer

This thread is reminding me of the (not so) old days of big hitter pointless arguments. I’m still not a fan.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

mikeconnor– as i said before, i think you are wasting your time with some people, there is nothing like a mind set against itself.

yossarian
    Free Member

This is all poddy’s fault. 😀

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

…you seem intent on claiming i have labelled all orthodox Jews as ‘bad drivers’?

Mate, I copied and pasted what you posted. The word “all” is purely your invention, I haven’t used it.

You have clearly labelled orthodox Jews as bad drivers, ie, you have suggested that there is a connection between being an orthodox Jew and being a bad driver.

And in case you hadn’t noticed, I haven’t argued against your claim – I don’t feel there’s any need to.

Rubber_Buccaneer

This is all poddy’s fault.

He just didn’t predict the effect his actions would have did he 🙁

McHamish
    Free Member

Great thread.

Excellent example of internet arguing…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This thread is reminding me of the (not so) old days of big hitter pointless arguments. I’m still not a fan.

Agreed.

mikeconnor
    Free Member

You have clearly labelled orthodox Jews as bad drivers, ie, you have suggested that there is a connection between being an orthodox Jew and being a bad driver.

No I haven’t, read this bit:

At no point have i claimed that any particular religious groups are bad drivers; it just so happens that the majority of bad drivers I witness in that area happen to be orthodox jews. That’s an observation. I have no idea what makes them such bad drivers, and have at no point claimed that their bad driving is down to their religious beliefs

I hope that clears things up once and for all. Feel free to carry on arguing, i’m off to Grodzinsky’s for some bread, because I won’t be able to get any tomorrow. I may pop in to Getters and pick up some chrayne too. Have a nice weekend.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

[Rubber_Buccaneer – Member

and I thought he mentioned Hitler and so we would have been saved from any more drivel by Godwins law and can move onto something more productive/amusing…

yossarian
    Free Member

He just didn’t predict the effect his actions would have did he

He knows what this place is like too.

Mark

Enough

Viewing 20 posts - 121 through 140 (of 140 total)

The topic ‘Pillock in a jag (Unbelieveabe content)’ is closed to new replies.