Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 123 total)
  • Fined for spitting
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Not me, a colleague just now.
    He’d nipped over the road to Sainsbury’s local to get lunch, and like a lot of us (me certainly) he’s got a bit of a cough/cold. He coughed on his way out and spat on the floor. He’s not the sort who spits constantly, he’s a well mannered decent bloke with a cough.
    Now I didn’t even know these people existed but these two “enforcement officers” followed him back to the shop, marched in and asked for his details. He provided name and DOB but apparently he wasn’t on their system, so they started getting arsey, at which he refused to give them any more info and said ‘just because I’m not on your system doesn’t mean I’m lying’ which is a fair point, he also didn’t like giving his details out to someone who wasn’t the police, another fair point I thought…..As was that he was diabetic and need to go for his lunch.
    So they got the police out to force him to give his details.
    Are you jeffing kidding me?
    From what I understand these are the equivalent of private parking companies enforcing 100 year old
    laws on the behalf of the council. I just stood there gawping in amazement.
    £80 fine……
    Be careful out there everyone.

EDIT.
    I hope they don’t follow me on the bike. I’d be £160 a mile for me the amount of snot I produce.

Jamie
    Free Member

Be careful out there everyone.

Or don’t gob in the street.

I understand there might have been extenuating circumstances with your friend, but it’s a nasty habit which seems to be on the rise.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Any law against nasal snot rockets? I may have racked up a few hundred quid in potential fines on my way in to work this morning/

martinhutch

Well, I wouldn’t hawk up on the pavement, that’s a bit grim, but it’s not really in the same league as dog mess, is it?

perchypanther
    Free Member

I just stood there gawping gobbing in amazement.

This would have been funnier.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

If you are pregnant, can you ask to gob in a policeman’s hat?

djglover
    Free Member

Bit of a difference between lauching a snot rocket into the verge mid ride and hacking up a greenie in the doorway of Sainsbury’s

martinhutch

Interested whether they have any powers to detain him while they wait for the coppers?

nude ride

That is covered by different public order legislation, I think.

EDIT: You’re quicker on the edit than me!

Ro5ey
    Free Member

There was a very easy solution to this problem.

Swallow the greenie … he wouldnt have got done for splitting and had a nutritional snack …. Win win

rone

Bit of a difference between lauching a snot rocket into the verge nude ride and hacking up a greenie in the doorway of Sainsbury’s

In that case though isn’t it up to Sainsbury’s to enforce?

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Agreed, I wouldn’t gob on the street in a town. I find it abhorrent. Unfortunately it always seems to be a cool thing to do for kids who like footballing and that saddens me.

Drac

Box of hankies is around £1.

Jamie
    Free Member

Agreed, I wouldn’t gob on the street in a town. I find it abhorrent. Unfortunately it always seems to be a cool thing to do for kids who like footballing and that saddens me.

For me, it seems to be the bailiwick of the ethnics.

perchypanther
    Free Member

a cool thing to do for kids

‘s not 🙂

somouk
    Free Member

Interested whether they have any powers to detain him while they wait for the coppers?

They don’t have the power to detain as they are effectively council employees. A lot of councils contract it out so they aren’t even council employees.

jekkyl

what he refuses to pay and asks for evidence?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve just asked him, Sainsbury’s door is straight onto the pavement, he spat it between the bin and the wall just round the corner.
    We’ve all done it.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Why didn’t he just spit in the bin?

Cougar

They’ve almost certainly not got the power to demand he prove his identity. The police don’t have that power even, unless they’re formally detaining him. Which I suppose they could do, but I can’t imagine they’d want the paperwork for someone who’s essentially just sneezed.

Reckon my response would have been “arrest me or foxtrot oscar” and a note of their badge numbers.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ewe, your “colleague” is gross.

Hope they made “him” clean it up.

scotroutes

We’ve all done it.

Well I haven’t. But anyway, what “system” wasn’t he on and why did he bother going back to the shop?

molgrips
    Free Member

My wife was sick in the street half an hour ago. Good thing she was nowhere near Sainsbury’s.

Drac

No more speeding fine folks, we’ve all done it.

Klunk
    Free Member

IIRC (probably not though) is the fining for spitting in the street come from trying to prevent the spread of TB back in the day ?

Jamie
    Free Member

My wife was sick in the street half an hour ago. Good thing she was nowhere near Sainsbury’s.

1. I hope she’s ok, and 2. I think that’s a bit different. She is obviously unwell, and not even a giant hanky would have helped.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Why didn’t he just spit in the bin?

Point missed.
    Yes he knows he did a bad thing but what a jeffing waste of police time and resources. That’s the point.
    As I said to the cops who came, I could have some fun and get done for 90mph on the way home for not much more. How do people like this sleep at night?
    I’m honestly amazed. I didn’t even know these people existed.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Hope he coughed all over them.

devash
    Free Member

Nothing turns my stomach more than spotting a big green pile of phleg on the pavement.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Couldn’t you just let it dribble down your chin and shake your head to flick it off? Like a saint bernard dog! Technically that wouldn’t be spitting. maybe.

footflaps

Yep, zero sympathy, he deserves to be fined for a disgusting and anti-social habit.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

He coughed on his way out and spat on the floor.

That’s disgusting, specially if it’s discoloured green or yellow infected phlegm. And all the more so if it’s done near the entrance of a supermarket.

he’s got a bit of a cough/cold

So then he almost certainly had a hankie which he could have spat into.

Apart from the deeply unpleasant sight of infected phlegm spat outside a retail food outlet can you imagine if a small child accidentally touches it as the result of a tumble or such like?

It’s hardly surprising that it’s illegal.

Jamie
    Free Member

Point missed.

Bin as well 😉

RustySpanner

Is there a scale of fines for this?

I’m tempted to go and wipe a bogey on the wall outside the local Police Station just to see what happens.

Edric64
    Free Member

Spat on the floor, of a shop ? Or do you mean the ground outside ?

tinybits
    Free Member

OK, whilst I have zero sympathy for the cretin who got a fine, I am a little confused as to whom these people were. Surely they identified themselves a bit – and what is this ‘system’? Is this the start of a privatised police force? Off the the Jeremy Corbyn thread….

matt_outandabout

I have a friend who is environmental and antisocial behaviour enforcement officer for a Scottish council (ergo, our laws may differ some).
    Yes you do *have* to give him details if he so requests them with reasonable reason.
    Yes the police will help re-enforce his work.
    Yes he does have body cam on.
    I just texted him about this – he said he has more important things to worry about on the job…likely would have asked you to refrain from hockling up.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I think the key thing here is where exactly did he spit “on the floor”

I wouldn’t give my details to any “enforcement officer”. I’d be tempted to go to court for this assuming he didn’t spit inside the store or on the pavement immediately outside, I think it unlikley it would be pursued. Not good PR for Sainsbury’s

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I have a friend who is environmental and antisocial behaviour enforcement officer for a Scottish council

he said he has more important things to worry about on the job…

I can well believe that 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

I think it unlikley it would be pursued. Not good PR for Sainsbury’s

Yeah. They need to keep hold of that all important ‘gobbing on the floor vote’.

terrahawk
    Free Member

He deserved the fine, the grotty git.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 123 total)

The topic ‘Fined for spitting’ is closed to new replies.