Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • FINE, let them live in kennels then…..
  • missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Jeez, just rename this a Staffie rescue thread!

We got ours 2 years ago, Molly, and she came to us via the RSPCA with a bit of history – a work colleague of mine had approached me to take her, at the time Mrs MFL said a point blank no, but eventually relented when the family had to approach the RSPCA.

The reason that Molly “had” to go was that she had apparently growled at my work colleagues toddler grandson, not a staff like quality at all, so despite our son being a fairly boisterous 8 year old at the time we agreed to take her, as we’d had staffs in the family before without any problems. Lo & behold, she’s a doll, well mannered, calm, as predictable as any dog can be, is perfect with Josh, bit territorial about her garden (birds, squirrels & cats watch out!!) but other than that great company. I’ve spent 12 months-ish out of the last 18 months off sick from work, and she has been somethign to give me a reason to get up, look after, get out the house etc.

@ the OP there is a SBT Rescue organisation locally, the owner of which is a bit eccentric, we took a dog from her a good few years ago, house trained, 8 years old etc. I was working when wife went to pick it up, came in from work to be met by a geriatric, blind, incontinent mutt. She’d “bent” her placement rules about home visit, meeting the dog etc as she already knew us, but be careful about showing too much keeness to take a dog, you might end up with a Friday one!

As a footnote, my colleague eventually let slip quite soon after we took her that Molly’s previous owners were trying for another baby, and surprise, within a year they had another baby. My feelings are that they couldn’t be arsed looking after toddler, dog, & baby, and the easiest one to re-home was the dog rather than the toddler.

iDave
    Free Member

I have no interest in a Staffy

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I don’t blame you. We’re t minus ten days from our new arrival. I feel guilty that she’s not coming from a rescue centre.

Have you tried your nearest Dog Trust iDave? They have a pretty good website.

iDave
    Free Member

Yeah been to the dogs trust yesterday. They were great but had nothing suitable. Any left in that litter of borders?

spokebloke
    Free Member

Weirdly going through the same as you iDave.
    First choice Parsons, second Border, third lurcher.
    Seem to be millions of lurchers but not much else, and lots of websites updated quarterly…

iDave
    Free Member

I believe I have found my dog. Off to see him tomorrow, weather permitting. Not saying where in case spokebloke gets there first…

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

iDave – Member
    I have no interest in a Staffy

Didn’t think that you did, Dave. Main point of my post was to suggest you take the dog you are happy with, rather than a dog that an unscrupulous rescue wants you to take because it has a pre-existing problem.

anagallis_arvensis

lurcherlink website might be worth a look if you’d like a lurcher. We didnt get a rescue as we knew we wanted a kid soon and werent confident of getting the right sort of dog.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I believe I have found my dog. Off to see him tomorrow, weather permitting. Not saying where in case spokebloke gets there first…

Best of luck! Go on, give us a hint. 😀

iDave
    Free Member

Coarse haired Parsons Jack Russell, 1 year old, will answer to the name of Spud or Pig – if I said any more I’d have to dig up the patio…

spokebloke
    Free Member

Good luck mate. If you see a blue VW van following you, it’s not me……

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Our last set of next door neighbours had a coarse hair PJR called Jonesey. He was lovely. But they were horrible to him…never trained him properly or took him out for walks. Just let him bark his head off out the back garden all day. He went to the Dogs Trust eventually. Always hope he’s found a better home. We now have three fat shitheads next door with a Belgian Shepherd (Tyson 😯 ) that never gets taken out either.

Spaceman
    Free Member

eddie

We have course haired PJR called Eddie, (Guess where we got the name from, any Frasier fans out there?) see the links, I can’t get the image function on here to work.

He’ll run all day and as soft as, he gets very excited if any little furry things appear. He went off after a deer at GT last week, don’t know what he thought he’d do if he caught up with it.

Eddie

iDave
    Free Member

Cool little dog spaceman, I had a step-dog PJR, fantastic all rounder, but hated the postman. Would run for hours, brilliant with kids, and everyone really. Except the postman…

z1ppy

Absolute PITA butI wouldn’t change a thing. I guess I got lucky though as the Staff is not everyone’s first choice. Don’t know why, though!

Due to the many idiots who have spiky metal collars on them, trying to look hard. M8’s gran had one when we were younger, fantastic loving dog, some friends have had one for a couple of years now too, such an affectionate dog. They’d found it tied to a skip! They tried to give it to a dog home, as major cat herd owners, but the homes just said they were full of them & it would most probably be put down. Shame the idiots of this world see them as a fashion accessory to make you look tough

Inbred456
    Free Member

Try the Retired Greyhound Trust. This is ours Merlin named by our 8yr old son. They are in desperate need of homes. Sensible people that know what they are doing. He’s Cat friendly and can be left for long periods when needed. Some dogs can spend many hours in crates when racing.

donks
    Free Member

We right now I would happily take both of our wretched old flea bags to the canal in a sack and chuck them in….pissed on the christmas prezzies we carelessly left on the floor for 5 minutes. We have had about all the fun we are ever going to get from them…14 and 15 they smell, piss and crap everywhere puke at almost anything you give them….perhaps i’ll take a few bricks as well just to crack the ice first. 👿

iDave
    Free Member

spokebloke, i’m sorted now, but worth contacting taylorplayer, I believe he may be able to assist.

spokebloke
    Free Member

Glad you’re sorted mate – could you email me contact details?
    Can’t find a member called taylorplayer.

Cheers

cchris2lou

tried to get a dog last year and it was impossible .

Battersea were not very helpfull despite visiting our house and telling us it was all fine . after a few visits to their kennels in london with the whole familly , it worked out cheaper to buy a dog .

trout
    Free Member

don’t get me wrong here but it seems to be a fashionable thing to rehouse a rescue dog .

I take our parsons to work most days and get the Oh di you get him from a rescue centre
    from the customers. who then lose interest when I say no we bought him As a puppy.

robdob
    Free Member

THERE IS NO DANA, ONLY ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

ROFLMAO!!! 😆

Dolcered

dont know about it being fashionable, there are a lot of dogs out there in rescue centres through no fault of their own. I might be biased mine was a rescue! (4yr old GSD- owner posted abroad, couldn’t take her) Saved us going through the toilet training then teenage moody phase.

The puppy market seems to be rather unscrupulous for a lot of breeds, don’t know about other breeds, but many of them put no thought or effort into the pairings to the detriment of the dogs health, hip and elbow displasia in GSD’s as an example.

spokebloke
    Free Member

fashionable thing to rehouse a rescue dog

That may be the case Chris – I can see your point. I was all for getting a puppy until a mate who’s a vet with the RSPCA in Bristol told me some stories.

Re-homing for me.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

8 week old thoroughbred black lab for us cos we iz wew midduw klarse and posh. Brilliant dog.

robd

Spokebloke, I have a 1 year old female lurcher called jessie I am fostering at the moment who needs a permanent home, mail me if you want some info.

iDave
    Free Member

I don’t follow what is ‘fashionable’ in the area of dog ownership, I just felt that a dog would be better here being appreciated and looked after than in some heartless kennel environment.

iDave
    Free Member

spokebloke – may be of interest? http://www.dogsblog.com/molly-109/

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘FINE, let them live in kennels then…..’ is closed to new replies.