Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Finding the right fork for a 29er.
  • Davesport

Right, I need help please 🙁

I’m looking for a fork for a Solaris build. I want 120mm travel, Tapered steerer, 15mm axle. I’ve found a Fox fork at Winstanleys but I’d have to sell a kidney to buy the thing & I’m not partial to the 30hr service intervals.

Recommendations please 💡

Thanks in advance, David.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Reba

25 hour service intervals on RS though IIRC. It is a very quick job though, I do my Lyrics once a month to keep them super sweet, just pop the lowers off, wipe the inside of the seals, soak the foam rings in oil, grease under the seals, foam rings back in, lowers back on, invert, 15cc in each side, bolts back in. Some people dont bother serviceign RS at all and they last years but:
    a) it seems 50/50 between ‘my forks were FUBAR’ and ‘my forks were fine’
    b) my lyrics feel the same before/after a 25 hour service, if I leave it for a few months then there’s a noteable improvement after the service. For the ammount they cost I’d rather they work 100% even if it is one extra job per month!

Marzocchi wont have a service interval, but carry a weight penalty as a result of all that extra oil.

Magura don’t either but IMO the forks arent that good.

nuke

Reba

Agreed with this…but where from??? Nobody seems to stock 120mm Reba 29ers

singlespeedstu

If you want the best by a country mile 29er fork it has to be the Fox 34 Float.
    You can drop it down to 120 with a spacer.

Pisses all over the 140 Rev I have on another bike. Which in turn feels better than the 120 Reba on another…

Edit.
    Reba’s only available in 100mm now though.

MrTall
    Free Member

As Stu says above, Reba’s only come in 100mm flavour now. You’ll need the Revs for anything more.

Classifieds and some patience is now your friend. Plus, thinking about it, most of the 120mm Rebas (if not all) were 20mm in thru axle versions.

On One had some cheap ones earlier in the year and i missed out on them by days and ended up tracking some down from 29squadron for my Honzo.

Wish i’d stumped up a bit more for Revs though (especially as there was (is) such a problem with offset legs on the 20mm maxle Reba versions (so you can’t run 2.4″ tyres in them). My older std steerer 120mm versions are also 20mm.

Manitou might offer something but again, i’m not sure in a 15mm option?

Are your hubs interchangeable for 20mm as well as 15mm? Most newer hubs are (Hope certainly are and they’re very popular on here).

Davesport

Are your hubs interchangeable for 20mm as well as 15mm? Most newer hubs are (Hope certainly are and they’re very popular on here).

Aye, Hope Hoops 8) I can run a 20mm axle. 15mm was a starting point as I didn’t want 9mm drop outs.

I’ve got 36’s on another bike & it’s a great fork….now that its bedded in & fitted with the low friction seals. It’s the initial cost of the 34’s that’s putting me off. I should MTFU & push the button. If Mrs Davesport finds out though she’ll kick ten colours of sh*t out of me 😆

Gotama
    Free Member

The new Magura 120mm forks picked up some favourable write ups recently. At the cheaper end the Manitou Tower forks are very highly rated on mtbr. I have the ‘zocchi 44 micro 29, tis alright, wouldn’t rush out and buy another.

FieldMarshall

Reba’s only available in 100mm now though

I was wondering that, as cant find any anywhere. But note that 120mm are still listed on the rock shox website.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

May be OEM only the Reba

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Finding the right fork for a 29er.’ is closed to new replies.