Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Finding out what vinyl LP's are worth?
  • scud
    Free Member

I “inherited” a large number of vinyl LP’s from a neighbour who is moving to Germany as he knew I was a music fan, there are a number of old funk and soul LP’s that I will keep, but there are a great number that I don’t really have an interest in, my neighbour just said to give the rest to a charity shop, but I offered to sell them and split the monies.

There are a huge number of original Bowie, Clash, Parliament, Joni Mitchell etc.

Just wondered how I go about finding out what they are worth, instead of just taking them to a 2nd hand record shop?

chakaping
    Free Member

Have a look at Discogs website, perfect for your needs.

Recommended, the buyers largely seem a decent bunch.

wwaswas

If you’re prepared to catalogue them then sending the list to a number of dealers will give an idea on what they’re prepared to offer?

Ebay quite a good place to get an idea on asking prices for any rarities too.

I’d be wary of selling as a ‘job lot’ if you think there’s anything valuable in there…

scud
    Free Member

Thanks Chapaking, looks spot on.

slowjo
    Free Member

Was somewhat surprised to see the value of this I have a mint copy of the original 1971 pressing.

Sadly, not all my vinyl is as valuable.

plyphon
    Free Member

Was somewhat surprised to see the value of this I have a mint copy of the original 1971 pressing.

Sadly, not all my vinyl is as valuable.

Whilst that is awesome, Discogs is known for people charging quite frankly stupid amounts for their vinyl in the hopes someone with too much money will buy.

While it is useful as a gauge, the true market price is often no where near Discogs asking price.

By true market price, I mean what someone will actually pay for it.

slowjo
    Free Member

Damn….and there I was thinking about how to spend it! 🙂

I quite agree with you but it is fun sort of pretending I own something valuable!

scud
    Free Member

I’ve no interest in charging loads, but more that it goes to a good home and i get some money to place in my daughters savings account

ScottChegg
    Free Member

While tidying my loft on Saturday I found a 1963 pressing of the Beatles Please Please me.

Unfortunately it has not been stored considerately. Shame.

rewski
    Free Member

In my experience, and I’ve sold 1000’s of vinyl records over the past 10 years, unless you have anything really rare then selling is pretty tough these days, even on discogs and especially in this current market. I’d be happy to give a rough value if you have a list of the funk and soul records.

BristolPablo
    Free Member

my father sold all his vinyl a few years back, he had a lot of motown and prog rock and there was very little worth anything. Only a few special editions were worth taking to a dealer, the rest wasnt worth anything as it was the format of choice back then so there is still a lot around of the popular stuff. Dont get your hopes up simply because its vinyl

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Finding out what vinyl LP's are worth?’ is closed to new replies.