• This topic has 28 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by redx.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Finding lost things.
  • Harry_the_Spider

Last week my son lost the back pack off his (well… mine actually) Boba Fett action figure. This morning I found it in the gutter about 50m down from my usual parking spot outside my daughter’s nursery. It is a bit scuffed and is covered in muck after the recent foul weather but apart from that it is intact.

At the first HTN my wedding ring fell off whist marking the course. 6 hours later Terrahawk found it in the mud. The course was a 9 miles long bog and he found it about 5 miles in. Unfortunately this was after I had confessed to the missus that I had lost it, so my euphoria was tempered by the fact that I had partial hearing loss thanks to the ear bashing that she had given me. I’ve also lost and found it in the sand pit at the park.

I’ve also found my brother in law’s Oakleys on the trails a week after he had lost them.

What have you lost and found?

Fig 1. Fett, Boba

Fig 2. Mud, HTN style

Fig 3. Sand pit

Fig 4. Ring of Power

Cougar

I lost my mobile phone at the Leeds festival one year. Put it down on the ground next to me when I sat down and totally forgot when I stood up.

When I realised, I rang it, and it was answered by a good friend of mine who also happened to be at the festival. She’d found it completely by chance, I’d no idea she was at the festival.

konaboy2275
    Free Member

Lost my phone whilst sledging a couple of years back, only realised when I got home. I borrowed a mates phone and went back to the field and rang it, it was buried in the snow about 6″ from my foot!

Still can’t find my spare set of car keys that I think my son posted through the floor boards when we had the skirtings off!

Moses

I lost am 8mm allen key adaptor when faffing around in Leigh Woods. I couldn’t find it for baggery.
    Next week, I paused at the same spot & there it was winking at me from some moss.

BadlyWiredDog

I dropped my house-keys somewhere on a 20-mile cross bike loop around the Hayfield end of things. Went back next morning, rode it in reverse quite slowly paying attention to the bumpy bits and miraculously spotted them sat on the track that runs up from Highgate Lane to South Head.

Mostly fluke with a bit of educated guesswork, but it made me disproportionately happy 🙂

Drac

My virginity but it was returned once I got married and had kids.

Northwind

A mate of mine lost his glasses down in the pit during Amen at Reading festival one year… First band we went to see, he was not amused. But afterwards we started looking for them, or the bits, and ended up recruiting an army of about 20 other folks to help. Found both lenses and the very squashed frames, spread across an area about 50 feet across, and managed to rebuild them with gaffer tape :mrgreen:

rocketman
    Free Member

mrs rocket once left her camera on a bus while we were on holiday in Spain.

We looked at each other aghast as the bus drove off and turned right at a corner to go around the block and back the way it had come.

I legged it down a parallel street to head off the bus, ran out in front of it to stop it, leapt on board, retrieved the camera and jumped off again with a cheery ‘gracias’ to the driver.

It was a great moment mrs rocket was almost in tears when I returned with her camera.

stumpy01

Mate of mine got back to the car park after a cold, wet muddy ride & (rarely) swore as the zip on his saddle had split & his car key had fallen out.

We rode round the route in the opposite direction & found it sat on the trail. Cue relief all round!

I lost (dropped) my wallet while shopping in Peterborough & a kind soul handed it in.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Lost my leatherman in a tile factory in Spain. (long story)

Found it 2 weeks later on my desk at work.

(I’m guessing it got found on site and put in a flightcase and returned to the UK, then one of the whorehouse boys recognised it as mine and dropped it on my desk. Still kind of spooky…)

beefheart
    Free Member

I once lost my car keys after a day spent doing somersaults off sand dunes and playing in the sea.
    Only realised they were gone when I got back to the car.

Retraced steps and random digging found them buried in amongst miles of dunes.

fasthaggis

Lost my mind over a girl. She returned it eventually 🙄
    IGMC

passtherizla
    Free Member

was it a full action man sized Bobba fett? That was my best toy when I was growing up, lost it and never found another one I was gutted.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Of all the things I’ve lost in life I miss my mind the most…..

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I have to hide everything from my mrs otherwise she tidies it away and erases the location from her mind. Everything just goes in the nearest drawer or cupboard so the place looks tidy.

I found my GPS in with the hats last night.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

There’s not much that’s sweeter than finding a 10 pound note in the pocket of a pair of jeans you’ve not worn for a while

irelanst
    Free Member

Lost a Sky remote once and turned the house upside down without finding it. It showed up a few months later in the glove compartment of the car.

yossarian
    Free Member

Lost a cabinet key somewhere in the house a few years back. Turned the place upside down looking for it, no joy. But did find an old pair of divining rods in a drawer. For a laugh I formed a mental picture of the key and walked round the house. Yes, they crossed and when I looked down the key was on the floor by my feet.

Lost my wedding ring quite a few years back. Wasn’t actually that bothered as I thought it was likely we would separate. Whilst on hoilday we sorted everything out and got things back on track. We decided to go for a drink to celebrate. I put my hand into my pocket to see what change I had for the drinks and pulled out my wedding ring.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I have to hide everything from my mrs otherwise she tidies it away and erases the location from her mind. Everything just goes in the nearest drawer or cupboard so the place looks tidy

it’s a technique to make you be tidy

did you strava your walk up to the tower? 😉

bigyinn
    Free Member

OH dropped car keys on the beach on Christmas day a few years back. Spent the next 45 mins slowly walking back at dusk to find them. Phew!

DaveRambo

At a festival a few years ago I lost a contact lens while taking it out, after a beverage or 2.
    I was sat in the car with the door open at the time and spent an hour trying to find it as I didn’t have a spare.

Gave up and went to bed.

In the morning went to the car to get something and saw it on the floor by the car door. How on earth it wasn’t walked on is beyond me and how I saw it with no lenses in is equally unbelievable as I can’t see beyond a few inches with out assistance.

portlyone

Left a work related poster on a train while traveling to another office to do a presentation, I remembered just in time to see the train continue on its journey across the country. Went to the office, did the presentation and went back to the station to catch my return train a few hours later.

My reserved seats were on the same coach I went down on; the poster was in the overhead space waiting for me!

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

I had a motorcycle crash in the Isle of Man during TT race week, I ended up lying in the road and my mate came over and popped my visor off and threw it in a field (It was a tinted one and they were a bit naughty back in the day)-then checked if I was ok!

I went back a few months later for the Manx GP and visited the crash site (Kates cottage), where I found my visor sticking out of a cowpat.

Gave it a polish and attached it to my new Arai.

spooky_b329

We stopped in a layby after a nagging feeling, to find that our horse trailer was still securely locked to the towball but the keys had failed to make it back into the van with us.

Retraced our steps to where we had loaded but before we got there my wife spotted them sitting between a group of manhole lids on the other side of a traffic island. Considering we were doing 50mph on a busy A road this was a small miracle.

I’d left them on the rear step of the van and they had made it several miles before falling off. They had been run over but still worked. Horse was not amused at the delay and two reversing manoeuvres 🙂

tommyhine

Lost my sunglasses (nice Raybans) on a mountain opposite Snowdon a few years ago and didn’t realise until we got back to the pub at the bottom.
    Browsing photo’s that night noticed them flying off the top of my head when we were mucking around tossing the kaber (smallish log really) around, hoofed it up there with headtorches and there they were. Nice

PiknMix
    Free Member

My mapping buddy’s hand lens (loupe) she dropped it on a pebble beach (a very large pebble beach) I found it and saved the field trip.
    My sister also had a watch that you could screw the bezel off of the change the colour. She lost the black one at night in France. I found it within mins!
    I would have been there all night if I had too. I’m good at finding things.

The best thing I ever found will have to remain untold as its neither in the spirit of the forum or technically legal for that matter!

pictonroad

The ex lost a ring on Aldeburgh shingle beach at a evening drink bbq. Sat down during a beach walk the next summer and there it was in the stones. Must have moved 200m over the winter.

IHN

My glasses fell out of my shirt pocket whilst walking across some fields in Hungary. I didn’t notice until about an hour and a couple of miles later. Cue mild panic (we had been and were going to continue to be away for months and I didn’t have a spare pair) and a retracing of steps.

About an hour later, in the middle of one of the many fields we’d walked back through, I stepped to one side to let another couple pass. Looking down, my glasses were at my feet and had I put my foot an inch further left I’d have crushed them…

redx

My phone out of my (badly zipped shut) camelback on a night ride round Whites Level. Did another lap that evening but couldn’t find it.

For some reason I went back early the next morning and started running round in the opposite direction. Found it next to the trail near the start of the Darkside, which was a godsend as if I had ran any further I would have died…..

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Finding lost things.’ is closed to new replies.