Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Finding a tradesman's mark
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

“Filled up in the year 1891 June 14 by Robert ……Aged 24”. I found this on some panelling around the WC in the shop yesterday.

It’s a pity I cant make out his surname, I might have been able to find him on an online census.

For some reason the pic posting icons aren’t appearing above so here’s a link

supremebean
    Free Member

Does that not say ‘fitted up’?

I have seen many old signatures in my time, oldest was from 1887.

Found a perfect condition newspaper from 1828 buried in a lathe and plaster wall before too.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

You might be right, I think the strokes across the tts are hidden in the grain.

twicewithchips
    Free Member

It’s Bruce – he trained as a chippy before pursuing the great cause. 😆
    His other projects included a time machine.

maccruiskeen

You’d want to hope he was boasting about fitting up the panelling rather than filling up your cludgie.

globalti
    Free Member

It would be good to be able to see the surname. Friends of mine restored a cottage high up on the fells near Gisburn and up on the hilltop behind the cottage, carved into a chunk of bedrock, they found initials and a date in the 1600s. They think they are the initials of the builder of the cottage.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I ripped my kitchen out 18 months ago, on the back of one of the units … installed by John Doe 01/01/89 …. Good luck !

I liked that … Good Luck !

I’ve kept that back panel and traced the gent (think he was the home owner) he lives couple of mile away. I kept meaning to return it to him and show him what I’ve now done.

And I’ve left a similar “Good Luck” message myself for someone in 30/40 years

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’ve left a few messages under floors – I hope I’m long dead by the time they’re read again. 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

You get a different sort of “mark” when your tradesmen are scousers and it’s derby day….

Sorry for the lowering the tone mcmoonter..!

revs1972
    Free Member

You get a different sort of “mark” when your tradesmen are scousers and it’s derby day….

Sorry for the lowering the tone mcmoonter..!

I thought this may have been a thread about workmen unloading a timber in the pan and not flushing 😆

maccruiskeen

My dad taunting me from beyond the grave

“there is no message today”

allthepies
    Free Member
    Marin
    Free Member

Always sign a wall when papering in a corner usually behind a door. My dad used to let us do it to walls or in concrete when we were “helping” him when we were kids.

maccruiskeen

I stripped the wallpaper in in an old glasgow flat – one wall had never been stripped back to the plaster since it had been built – quite interested pealing back 150 years of papers including one layer decorated weird evil looking kittens dressed as sailors riding bicycle – s that had been hung print side to the wall, Then back through various hand-printed papers to the plaster.

Once back to the plaster there was a little charcoal portrait of a man… that was the absolute spitting image of our landlord. Who was old, but not that old!.

At around the same time a friend was stripping his house of similar vintage and found a similar charcoal drawing, which looked pretty earily like him too – except this portrait was hanging from a gallows.

pocketrocket
    Free Member

As a bit of a different take on a signature when papering a wall, I made the family stand against the wall and drew their outlines.
    The missus was 8 months pregnant so she had to stand sideways. I even got the dog involved and drew around her.
    I often wondered what the new owners made of it, especially as my outline was pinching the wife’s bum!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Thought this was a euphemism thing like ‘sunk to the makers name’ 😉

stu170
    Free Member

Any one that has been around RAF tornados, I’m sure would have seen “dave yelles is a big jobby” scrawled behind components.
    No idea where that comes from, but seen it once or twice

redthunder
    Free Member

redthunder
    Free Member

or Chad 😉

alexpalacefan

Try a rubbing with grease-proof paper and a V soft pencil or wax crayon. You may pick up the surname.

APF

alexpalacefan

Try a rubbing with grease-proof paper and a V soft pencil or wax crayon. You may pick up the surname.

APF

slackalice
    Free Member

I have left and leave a Cho Ku Rei symbol on particular projects where I’m leaving a legacy, or something that will outlast me. In my realm of experience, you’ll find the symbol on any oak framed buildings or wooden boats I have built or repaired.

The energy and intent stays with them for as long as they exist.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Finding a tradesman's mark’ is closed to new replies.