Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Finding a reputable dog breeder
  • Pieface

Planning on getting a dog (beagle) in the summer but no idea how to go about getting one. Rescue dog not an option as daughter is only 4

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Rescue dog not an option as daughter is only 4

What’s your daughters age got to do with getting a rescue?

Pieface

Rescue centre unlikely to let you take them as the dog has unknown history AFAIK

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Not true. That’s not how dogs & potential owners are assesed.

Each case is done on a turn by turn perspective as no 2 owners & dogs are alike.

You are aware that you can get puppies from rescue centres?

Pieface

I’ll look in to that then

mattbee

Having had a beagle for 16 years, my sister having 2 of them & knowing a few others I’d strongly recommend spending a decent amount of time with one first.
    Cute as hell but wilful, completely food driven & liable to disappear if ever given the chance.
    I’d certainly not get one as a first dog, assume it won’t be yours?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Rescue rescue rescue

Pieface

We’ve had dogs before, but not recently. We intend to train it, which should help somewhat?

johndoh
    Free Member

What’s your daughters age got to do with getting a rescue?

You’ve never tried getting a rescue when you have young children (or other dogs, previous experience, safe and secure land, someone around all day etc then have you)?

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Not all Beagles are soft, cute and docile. Just like any dog they can have a nasty streak and something that their strong mindedness can make worse.

While they can be great dogs, there is good reason why so many of them end up in rescue shelters.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

You’ve never tried getting a rescue when you have young children (or other dogs, previous experience, safe and secure land, someone around all day etc then have you)?

No….

But I do help retrain rescue dogs….& I know it’s not impossible to rehome a rescue with a family with young children.

For clarity: training & Rehoming are 2 separate areas in the rescue I am involved at.

There’s nothing more we want than a dog to have a new home, but we must be as sure as we can be.

If we must err on the side of caution then we will.

mattbee

You don’t so much train a Beagle as provide life advice. They are masters of post-truth operations.

IHN

Yep.

Rescue.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Because it annoys the hell out me when I post a stw thread asking for an answer or where to find some info and then get told I’m wrong for my opinion and question in the first place….

When I got my ridgeback I attended the regional show for the breed in particular and met some owners/breeders there and then waited for a particularly strong and healthy dog (good owner) to be bred with a similar bitch and drove all the way to Scotland for her. Try contacting the particular club for that breed to find a list/register of their breeders. You may have a fairly sizable wait on your hands this way so it’ll be a test of your determination to own the breed.

johndoh
    Free Member

But I do help retrain rescue dogs….& I know it’s not impossible to rehome a rescue with a family with young children.

It is not impossible no, I agree. But when we were looking last year the vast majority of dogs would not be rehomed in a household with young children. Can you not at least accept that is correct?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Finding a reputable dog breeder’ is closed to new replies.