Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Finding a light 26", 1/1"8th 9mmQR fork
  • MoreCashThanDash

So, the eBay fairy has provided LittleMissMC with a nice 2009 Commencal Normal. There is a great frame in there somewhere. But I suspect that it will be a cycling money pit to unleash it.

First problem is that the forks are ceased, making it a very heavy rigid bike. Rather than replace with similarly weighty coil forks I thought I’d try and find some air forks to lose some weight for her.

Seem to have just missed out on some bargain shop soiled Rebas on CRC – has anyone any ideas of models to keep an eye out for on ebay, or seen any bargains out there? She’s only 10 so they don’t need to be overly tough.

And if anyone has any XT wheels or decent part used tyres in 26″ flavour cluttering their spares box….

5lab

on-one had a sid in stock that meets your needs

edit -> here ya go http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FORSSIDRLTSA/rockshox-sid-rlt-solo-air-100mm-fork

martinhutch

How big is she? Will she get any travel out of a 26 air fork? I ended up sticking a cheapy carbon fork from on one on my daughter’s bike because I couldn’t find a light fork that actually worked

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes as the air can be reduced and the oil viscosity as well if damping is an issue
    She wont be lighter than my kids on old 28 mm air sids and they work fine

Scamper
    Free Member

I have to say my dual air QR Reba’s are pound for pound the best forks I’ve owned. Most reliable, nice and plush, tunable with the dual air, and easily changed from 100/110/120mm.

MoreCashThanDash

That Sid meets our needs but costs twice as much as the bike did!

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I managed to find some RST First Platinum forks on eBay for my son, not had a chance to use them yet.

poah
    Free Member

Suntour 100mm air fork or rst one would fit the bill. You can get the cheaper RS units I. Your fitment but they are heavy. The tune on the forks arnt suited to kids though, I got Lewis’s SIDS worked on by Jtech

mcnultycop

As Scamper says above, my Reba Dual Airs were ace and super-tunable, I set them up for a kid on the street to try who weighed nothing and they were superb (and for my 120kg weight also). I sold them for just over £100 (from memory).

andyg1966

I’ve got some Marzocchi MX comps for the cost of the postage.

26″, non tapered, 100 (120?) mm travel. QR. Disc (or maybe V, need to check)

Not superlight.

MoreCashThanDash

Cheers andyg but already have some MX Comps in the family, was looking for something lighter for her.

kayla1
    Free Member

Suntour Epicons are great, around 1700g I think, and are adjustable from 80mm to 140mm internally.

mattyfez

Yeh the new epixon have magnisium alloy lowers, pretty light, much lighter than the XCM they replaced, and feel a lot better, take 2.4 tyres as well

http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/bike/forks/Epixon-Epixon-9-26-5354.html

kayla1
    Free Member

But they’re not Fox/RS/other badge!!!!11!!!1!!! 😯 How will people know how much money you earn? 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

I have some Pace RC39 80mm forks on my old race bike, among the lightest forks made. I was thinking of trying to replace them with 100mms. They would fit the bill for you but not sure how much they are worth.

MoreCashThanDash

Suntour or RST will be fine if they work and are light enough. We’re actually Skoda family after all.

Cheers molgrips, but forgot to say 100mm travel in my extensive wish list.

mattyfez

The lower end suntours XCT, XCM, XCR weigh in at a faily hefty 2.5kg

The Raidon is a bit heavier than the epixon at 2kg,and has a few cheaper parts
    http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/bike/forks/Raidon-26-5371.html

jonnyboi

+1 for the older dual air rebas, cracking forks.

kayla1
    Free Member

I’ve had Raidons and Epicons on a couple of bikes and the Epicons are loads better than the Raidons if that helps at all.

phil56

MCTD – have you found anything yet?
    I’ve a set of 2004 SID’s at the back of the garage – they’re 2004 world cup blackbox – the ones with the carbon crown and steerer and weigh about 1.3 kg. They have the lockout cable, but I’m not sure I have the switch. Straight steerer and qr.

email in profile if you’re interested or would like pics

Phil

phil56

MCTD – just been in to the garage to check and I’ve also got a pair of Manitou SX Ti’s that also fit your requirements.

Phil

MoreCashThanDash

Cheers Phil but I’m sorted. I had a thread running in the WTD forum and someone jumped in wanting anything left over.

fooman

Another to consider for light riders is the Manitou R7 it’s under 1.4Kg, lasts well & plush action feels similar to Fox.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Phil, what sort of money are you wanting for them SIDs?

phil56

Sorry, only just seen your question re the SIDs
    I’ll email you a pic of them so you can see what they are.
    I wasn’t expecting much for them

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Finding a light 26", 1/1"8th 9mmQR fork’ is closed to new replies.