Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Find me the perfect place to live… Several conditions attached!
  • brassneck

Andover might just fit, but even there I reckon you’ll need £150K more for a 4 bedder. Good road riding, decent mtb nearby, Swinley up the road.

EDIT: Found one under budget!

Bit lacking in garden mind…

molgrips
    Free Member

Newport 1hr 55mins. House prices low, riding good.

Umm guys, Newport and Bristol have train links to Paddington, which isn’t central London. You won’t make it door to door in an hour and a half from Bristol, no chance.

epicyclo

scotroutes – Member
    If someone told me to move somewhere 1.5 hours from Central London I’d tell them to get stuffed.

I’d extend that to 7 hours… 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IHN

Umm guys, Newport and Bristol have train links to Paddington, which isn’t central London.

But the OP said…

If someone told you to move to somewhere 1.5 hours from Central London by train door-to-door (to the main terminals like Waterloo, Paddington etc),

egb81
    Free Member

A two bed terrace a mile or so away from Temple Meads station in Bristol will set you back £250k nowadays. Silly money.

mark90
    Free Member

4 bed houses in Bristol for £200k

If you can find a 4 bed in Bristol for 200K it’s probably not an area you’d want to live in.

molgrips
    Free Member

But the OP said…

Oops yes so he did 🙂

But point stands – 1.5 hours from Paddington is potentially less useful than 1.5 hours from Waterloo.

Anyway – Swindon might be scruffy but it has tons of superb road riding, and the mtbing whilst being very much non-technical is fantastic for endless adventure rides. In the dry.

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Aylesbury. Train into Marylebone in under an hour.

Whilst this is true the 1.5 hours door-to-door is a bit of a struggle unless you live next to either one of the train stations and work within a 5 min walk of Marylebone. Houses in Aylesbury have also gone up a lot over the past 5 years; if you find a 4 bed one for £200k, there will likely be a catch – although there are a lot of new builds with shared ownership options.

However, leaving early in the morning Tring is only a 15 minute drive and has trains that get into Euston in 40 minutes.

Don’t bother looking for a 4 bed in Tring, it would be well above £200k. You might in Milton Keynes or Luton though, both of which have stations and trains into London. MKC to Euston is around 35 mins I think and there is plenty of riding not far away, it’s probably the OP’s best bet.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Ryde, Isle of Wight?
    House prices would work but the 1.5 hour commute might be a little stretched if the ferry and trains don’t mate up.
    Road and off road riding is good there.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I’ve made my peace with a 2 hour door-to-door to get to work if my moon-on-a-stick is found. Once I’m at the terminal I’m pretty confident I can run/bike to work under 30 minutes, hence the 1.5 hours to the terminal requirement!

Man, a 15 minute drive in the morning would suck though. It would have to be biking or running distance to the station.

scotroutes

2 hours each way as a commute? On top of your working day?

IHN

Man, a 15 minute drive in the morning would suck though. It would have to be biking or running distance to the station.

You could ride from pretty much anywhere in Swindon to the station in 15 minutes.

danradyr1
    Free Member

You live in chepstow and be ‘posh Welsh’.
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-42034512.html

Fantastic riding nearby and Paddington 90mins away.

nickc

Peterborough? [shudders]

curiousyellow
    Free Member

What is posh Welsh?

IHN

What is posh Welsh?

You’d have an inside toilet

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Well look at IHN here with his fancy inside toilet.

IHN

I am quite the dandy.

danradyr1
    Free Member

Posh Welsh – oxymoron (or people who live in Chepstow)

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Anyone mentioning Home Counties to you is off the mark, particularly Aylesbury or MK in Bucks – unless you can get shared ownership option. Luton or Dunstable is your best bet maybe but you are talking sub 50 minute trains and this means £200k for a flat in most places in the home counties tbh.

You’d be better off up north or parts of south, Kent or Essex.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Well, that was a comfortable few hours of whimsy. However, it has given me some fuel to find somewhere new.

So, the 200k figure is what it would take to be mortgage free. 90 minutes door to door is the acceptable commute for me based on going into the City a couple of times a week.

That commuter map site is pretty awesome! Thanks for sharing that.

qwerty
    Free Member

Stroud, Gloucestershire hits the nail, but i think you’ll struggle to find anything 4 bed with garden & garage for 200k within 1.5hrs of London!

Stroud: £225k but no garage = http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-44418822.html

A little further away is Cheltenham: 200k no garage = http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-62919320.html

It can be done in Melksham: £200k with garage = http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-43805265.html

Strouds great, a nice mix of affluent, chav & hippy dippy. Great MTB from the doorstep (muddy in winter), great CX / road from the doorstep, FoD & Cwm Carn 1:15hr drive away, Stroud – Paddington = 1:30. It sits at the centre of 5 small but concentrated valleys. Lots of ex Londoners here. No bad schools. Pop over & i’ll show you round (email in profile).

I lived for 40 years in Enfield, spent a weekend in Stroud (son was 5yrs old) and thought fu*k it. We moved soon after. Only been back for 2 funerals.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@qwerty I may take you up on that!

piemonster

scaredypants

Well look at IHN here with his fancy inside toilet.

silly modern ways – it’ll never catch on

br
    Free Member

Houses in Aylesbury have also gone up a lot over the past 5 years;

Yep, just searched for the house we sold in 2012, gone up £150k…

rt60

Luton, yes it’s a bit rough, but it’s 23 min to St Pancras and the cheapest place north of London that’s reasonable to commute regularly from.

Reasonable riding from the door and 20 min to Chicksands.

Still won’t get 4 bed detached in an area you would want to live in for less than £250k though!

CountZero

Just had a quick look around Chippenham, 4-bed detached houses that I know, close to where I live on the west-side of town are around £330,000-400,000…
    😯
    http://www.zoopla.co.uk/for-sale/details/42530129?search_identifier=80bd91cd7cf981f8fd057f2d25711ace

shermer75
    Free Member

Stoke on Trent

1hr 30 mins from Euston

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Find me the perfect place to live… Several conditions attached!’ is closed to new replies.