• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by nach.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Find me a mothers day present…semi slick tyres!
  • ahsat

My Mum is rather cool and despite one replaced hip and awaiting another, she still gets out on her mountain bike. These days though it is more country lanes and old railway lines, easy bridleways, lake shore paths etc. She finds her old Trek 4400 heavy and is going to get a new bike, but in the meantime, I thought I’d buy her some faster rolling tyres for mothers day as we have plans of her trying to do a 30 mile ride with me in May, so this should help her ‘training’.

Any suggestions? 26″ obviously (!) and needs to still have a bit of grip for when she does head onto tracks so she doesnt feel unconfident.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Not really semi-slicks but charge splashbacks are going for £20 a pair on various sites and have a fast rolling tread. I’m going to pick some up for my work commute bike.

rp16v
    Free Member

Conti double fighters are a good allrounder

ahsat

Those double fighters look interesting – cheers. And a good price on wiggle atm (well compared to a Nobby Nic!)

Not sure Mum would go for the amber walls on the Splashbacks!

acidchunks

1.9″ landcruisers roll very well on road due to the solid centre tread and perform well on mild off road as well. Large volume for comfort too. Can usually pick up a pair for less than £30.

takisawa2

Wilkos or Tesco do cheap semi slicks…

stumpy01

I put some Specialized Hemisphere on my Wife’s bike as she was moaning that the tyres on it were too draggy.
    They are pretty good. Roll well and are fine on a bit of offroad-lite.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Michelin Country Rock are fast rolling and cope with most things except mud.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I have a set conti travel contacts on my *cough* gravel bike *cough* which is really just a commuter taht I take offroad sometimes.

legolam
    Free Member

I had Land Cruisers on the Frankenbike for quite a while (went through a couple of sets over a few thousand km) and they were perfect for the local sustrans tracks and Kielder lakeside way etc. The road cruisers that are on the commuter at the moment are absolute cack in comparison – heavy and very slidey on damp tarmac.

igm

Depends on the tracks but how about Big Apples? More of a slick with tread, but fast rolling, grippy and highly puncture resistant. And with huge amounts of tyre on the ground perfectly good for light off road.

I commute 20 miles on them (in 29er form) and I heard that Bikemonger chappie used to do some southern downhills or enduros or something on them.

Of course that might say more about southern downhills, but very very good tyres.

Stevet1
    Free Member

What are those conti double fighters like on cornering on wet tarmac? Seems to be my downfall (literally) when commuting.

MoreCashThanDash

Land Cruisers pretty good, and quite puncture proof.

I’m commuting on Sammy Slicks at the moment, they might fit the bill?

nach
    Free Member

I used to commute on Schwalbe Hurricanes and then Sammy-Slicks. The latter were really light, high volume, and I somehow never punctured on them. Non-folding Hurricanes were much cheaper though.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Find me a mothers day present…semi slick tyres!’ is closed to new replies.