Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Find me a lightweight spanner/multitool!
  • spooky_b329

Two bikes, one with 15mm axle nuts on an Alfine, one with 13mm nuts for slidy SS dropouts. Looking for a trail tool to cope.

A small adjustable spanner doesn’t cut it and just rounds the bolts, and I can only find one stubby ring spanner that’s 13×15 but it’s £17! The bolts have to be tight on the singlespeed so the tool needs to be able to handle a bit of welly.

I would prefer a ring spanner to open ended. Any alternative products I’ve missed?

Thanks

Drac
    trail_rat
    Free Member

And what was your small adjustable …. Cheap and shit it sounds

Get an 6 or 8 inch bahco wrench and worry no more.

Or if your feeling flush a 6 or 8 inch knipex pliers wrench . They are awesome.

Personally i carry a 12 inch stanley adjustable in my carradice on the commuter.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Those cone spanners ( they are cone spanners not pedal spanners ) are absoutely shockingly shit.

nickjb
    Free Member

Just use a single ended ring. Take the one that goes with the bike if weight is a big issue. In fact you could get one made from drillium for ultra weight saving.

Drac

Those cone spanners ( they are cone spanners not pedal spanners ) are absoutely shockingly shit.

Aye sorry cone spanners they’re the same as the ones I’ve had and used without issue for about 18 years now.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You had hope hubs for 18 years ?

They were not a very good fit from new , damaged soft alu cone nuts on my tt wheel and were then binned. Certainly wouldnt fancy trying to undo a tight hub nut with em .

Nickjbs option looks good

Drac

You had hope hubs for 18 years ?

No, the spanners.

Yeah the sensible option is one spanner.

Moses

How about buying a new pair of nuts to fit once of the bikes, with the same threading as before. Then you’ll only need one spanner.

gogg
    Free Member

How about buying a new pair of nuts to fit once of the bikes, with the same threading as before. Then you’ll only need one spanner.

We have a winner. most sensible suggestion of them all.

TiRed

I cut the end off a 15mm ring spanner. It fits in a small B’Twin tool bottle with ease. I have not had any trouble undoing track nuts using my foot for leverage. And yes, get a new set of track nuts in 15mm. Pedal spanners will chew up the nuts or fold when you stand on them!

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Get a decent adjustable!

drlex
    Free Member

PDW 3wrencho was my choice for Alfine use.
    Handle shaped so that one can tread on it to tighten/loosen
    Coated to act as a tyre lever
    Also acts as a bottle opener.

Tucked under saddle with the puncture kit.

spooky_b329

Thanks guys…yes, some new nuts for the singlespeed with 15mm heads sounds good, a decent adjustable is also good, just in my head an adjustable is a bit like mole grips ..rarely the best tool for the job.

If I can get the bigger nuts that 3wrencho looks great…just about to take a peek at the price 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Find me a lightweight spanner/multitool!’ is closed to new replies.