Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Find me a CX bike
  • mattsccm
    Free Member

My Cotic X rough stuff bike is getting on a bit and I want to use discs for the road as well. Done plenty of research and narrowed things down but what have I missed. Price? Say sub £1500. Fancy those new TRP cable/hydro brakes and that brings me to 2 bikes only, the new Giant TCX SLR2 and the Whyte Saxon Cross.
    The former manufacturer only do limited sizes, ie nothing below 56cm TT and I want 52. The Giant is 105 spec and I would much rather SRAM kit. Also not about for 6 weeks or more and I want it NOW.
    Any body seen anything else with this spec? Obscure is good. Alloy frame /carbon forks likely to be the most common material.

DezB
    Free Member

Are JEJames lying when they say they can get the Whyte in 14 days?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Dunno.
    I wrote it off as they don’t do any TT lengths below 56cm.

shortcut

Easy.

Kinesis Pro6.

wwaswas

2nd the Kinesis – seems to be on offer in a few places at the moment too.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’d check the sizing on the Whyte too, my 2013 is a Medium (which has always been fine for the other Whyte’s I’ve had) but it’s a big Medium.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Now there seem to be few Kinesis about when you look harder and the ones you do see have Tektro Lyra brakes which are an abomination. I’d rather drag my feet!
    Keep ’em coming.

bol

The Specialized Crux Sport might be worth a look. A bit more expensive, but with SRAM hydraulic brakes. They look lush in the flesh too.

jim
    Free Member

Buy something with cable discs that fits/has the spec you want/whatever and then swap the brakes?

mattsccm
    Free Member

Latter is the obvious way but costs more. I am torn between the Giant with 105 or going SRAM and BB7’s.Probably the latter.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Van Dessel Gin and Trombones- fantastic bike perhaps a little over budget but not by much.Get in touch with Bearded Man Shop and they will talk you through various builds etc.

smokey_jo

I’m running Lyra road discs with Sora 8 speed sti and OK they aren’t BB7’s but if set up with care are at least as good as BB5’s.

benji
    Free Member

Kinesis frame and build it up, that way you can get it on budget, bought my sram group from merlins, the apex group is fine for cross, works and is cheap enough to crash.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Find me a CX bike’ is closed to new replies.