Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Find a review, Maxxis Beaver 29, WTB Moto 1.9/29, how to search the back issues?
  • mudfish

Hi tyre lovers
    It’s mud time here on the South Downs. Getting up the climbs is becoming a walking event. My Spesh Purgatory fnt and new style Ground Control rear are fab tyres but its just too slimy now.
    I’ve tried a Purgatory 23 rear and Bonti Big Earl Wet TLR ARC 235 front on the 26bike but you still can’t get up some parts, well, I can’t.

ST Issue 77 has a nicely comprehensive 29er tyre test but comes at slightly the wrong time for me as there are no muds. They do mention testing the above two recently though. Id like to read that.
    Now, as a Digi subscriber you’d think I’d be able to search the back issues but I’m not managing to find a way to do that. The missus’ impression of my sanity isn’t helped by my occasional searches through great piles of the back issues I usually manage to keep hidden. There has to be a better way?
    So, anyone got a bright idea on how to search the mag archive for an old test?
    29er tyres for Stanmer in Winter? Big Dog fans? It’s pretty slimy in there now with a decorative cover of sloppy leaves, fun to ride but a little too much walking involved with those tyres 🙂
    Thanks

clightfoot37

mudfish,

You beat me to the post. I found the obvious WTB mud tyre review (as it’s in the review section) but I’ve tried searching the web page and on my kindle to no avail for the Maxxis Beaver review mentioned; so I can only assume they were not fully reviewed but merely shown in the Fresh Goods Friday posts?

I think the next step is just to ask the editorial team at STW on specifically where these reside in the back issues?

Cheers.

clightfoot37

Just found Mud Tyres Group Test in Issue 69 but not all that recent and no Maxxis Beaver or 29ers!

mudfish

Yeah, where are those pesky beavers hiding.?

Paceman
    Free Member

I’ve been running 29er Beavers for a while for riding the South Downs and Stanmer Woods, they grip well and clear mud no problem, and were also fine a few months ago when the conditions were changeable from wet to dry.

thomthumb
    Free Member

mud-x and geax gato for me.

the gato is a 2.3 winter all rounder rather than an out and out mud tyre.

i reckon that a gato up front, mud x rear might work, but i’ve not tried it as they are attached to different bikes.

IA

All you need to know is get some beavers, ace tyre.

mcboo
    Free Member

Beavers are terrific but I wouldnt reccomend trying to use them tubeless. Nothing I did would get them to work, pity.

pete68
    Free Member

Much prefer the beavers to mud x. Roll so much better. Bit tricky to get up tubeless, but not impossible. Used them like this on Stans crest rims. Once up they stayed up.

40mpg

No luck on the search feature then? I was trying to find helmet tests earlier.

mudfish

Thanks for the tips, very useful, as the Ground Control is so super slidey on the back and I find the MudX a bit low volume – I’ll check out the beaver for the rear I think. I’m managing with the Purgatory on the front but I guess the beaver might overshadow it, we’ll see.

It would have been nice to see the Beaver review they mentioned in the latest Singletrack mag 29er tyre test.

I see all that PR about digital subscribers getting access to all the 1777 product tests and 308 bike tests reviews, but without a back issues index or search facility it’s hard going to fine anything.

happy trails

bedmaker

I’ve got 29er beavers on for the winter in the exc dual compound. Great tyres fo all round winter use. Better than any other mud tyre I’ve tried on roots/wet rocks where other muds are sometimes a bit sketchy.

Tubeless on Flows with no issues.

clightfoot37

mudfish,

Found lots of good reviews from riders for the Beavers so have just got a pair from Next Day Tyres. Price seemed OK and they did indeed arrive the next day!

Cheers.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Beavers are great! Sealed first time on Arches with 2 scoops of No Flats

nashwaymule
    Free Member

I have run beaver 29er tires now for a few months good tire grips well and copes with roots no probs, only downside is the thin sidewalls sadly I have now runied a tire due to flints slicing the tire to bits.
    Next day tires good price good service.

Gotama
    Free Member

Specialized Storm now available in 29er size. Only had one run out so far and its seems pretty good. Only 30 quid and tubeless as well. Evans have them in stock.

andyl
    Free Member

I love my Beavers!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Find a review, Maxxis Beaver 29, WTB Moto 1.9/29, how to search the back issues?’ is closed to new replies.