Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Financial accounts held jointly – recent experience
  • cinnamon_girl

Recently opened a joint account with another differently-named person who also had a different address. At no time was online access requested for this account.

It just so happened that I had some accounts with this same financial institution that I managed online. The new joint account showed up in my online accounts with my name only, not the joint account name.

I’ve had a moan about this but surely it’s some kind of security breach?

torsoinalake
    Free Member

How is it a security breach?

It’s your account. It shows up in your online banking.

scotroutes

I’m unclear as to what security has been breached as long as you can only see your accounts and the joint account and the other person can only see their accounts (if any) and the joint account.

cinnamon_girl

No, it’s a joint account that specifically needed both signatures.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Both signatures to see the balance online?

cchris2lou

I have a joint account with my wife and it shows up in my accounts summary but I can’t see her accounts. It is the same for her, she can see the joint account with her other accounts but can’t see mine.

cinnamon_girl

Was only used for paying in and writing cheques. Never set up for online banking. Surely this account shouldn’t have appeared with other accounts in my name only?

Edit: for clarity the joint account was a one-off, not held with my partner.

jambalaya
    Free Member

As @torso says you don’t need join signatures to see the balance. It shouldn’t allow you to withdraw money (unless that’s explicitly allowed for online access in the T&C’s)

@cg you nmay have ticked a box to setup online banking or it may be the default, ideally banks want us to do everything online as it saves them money

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I still don’t get your objection. What harm can seeing the balance of an account you manage in your online banking do? The account number must be visible, so the name is not the only identifier.

soobalias
    Free Member

i understand the objection,

go into the joint account, move everything to your personal account. done.
    change name and stw login and ask cougar to delete this thread.

nemesis
    Free Member

If the online site allows you to do something with the joint account in a way you shouldn’t be able to (eg transfer money without approval of the second signatory) they yes, it’s a breach. If it just shows you that the account is there and the balance then no it isn’t.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Turning it round, you’re more likely to see if your co-account holder was up to no good with the shared money.

scaredypants

cinnamon_girl

Love that pic!

What’s annoying is that we actually went into the branch to open the account, how quaint is that?? The Manager didn’t offer tea and biccies, boo. 😉

Just been speaking to a friend who’s worked in banking and reckons that it wasn’t set up properly even though we wanted both signatures on cheques that were written. Human error it would seem.

wallop

Cheques? Now that’s quaint!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Unless it was specified to have no online access then it’s probably just in the T&C’s that you read and signed to say you read. 😉

climbingkev
    Free Member

“Edit: for clarity the joint account was a one-off, not held with my partner.”

So your partner with who you share log in details with has caught wind of your other financial arrangements?

I see your concern, but unless you (or the other account holder) can move money around without the others authority I can’t see the security breach.

climbingkev
    Free Member

Not making accusations, it was the first thing that popped into my mind as I log in as the wife. Interestingly (Santander) joint credit card can’t be seen on my log in as I’m an additional card holder rather than a joint account holder in their eyes. Hence I log in as her…. It does frustrate me.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Financial accounts held jointly – recent experience’ is closed to new replies.