Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Finance tracking app?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

Looking for a app for tracking finances.

OnTrees seems pretty perfect, but annoyingly don’t have an Android app, just a website.

Any other good options – which work on Android and in the UK?

Want it to automatically categorise my incomings and outgoings, allow me to re-categorise when necessary, and have multiple bank accounts.

On a related noted – am I an idiot for being willing to give my bank details to a 3rd party company?

Duane.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Deleted, never read op properly!

jam-bo

I looked a while back and all the good ones only seemed to work with US accounts.

TheFlyingOx

A lot of folk seem to love YNAB (I’m on mobile, Google it). I had a look, and it makes sense, but very very similar to how I manage my money anyway so didn’t think it worth the £30 for the desktop app – this is central, the mobile app complements it. Sometimes available on Steam Sale for a fiver, so may yet give it a go if I manage to catch it.

simon_g

YNAB is good within what it’s designed to do – budgeting. You have money coming in, guess how it needs to be chopped up, tweak as you go through the month (but going over in one thing means trimming off another), refine for next month. It’s good for getting you to plan quarterly/annual costs out of your monthly budget and I like it for being able to know what’s left for frivolous bike stuff after all the important outgoings are taken care of.

It’s not good at keeping an eye on savings, investments, that sort of thing – the focus is to concentrate on weeks/months, live within your means, build a surplus for rainy days. You can put that stuff in, but you’ll be updating it all yourself.

What Duane seems to be asking for is something like Mint in the US, which just pulls in transactions and tries to take a guess at what they’re for (the old Microsoft Money used to try to do the same thing).

In short, no there’s not – most UK banks prohibit you from doing so, and many now do 2 factor authentication that would stop anything like that working anyway.

http://www.sortmoney.com/blog/why-no-uk-mint-stay-clear-financial-aggregators/

Duane…
    Free Member

Simon – OnTrees is very similar to Mint (mentioned in that article), and works fine in the UK, but only has an iOS app.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Finance tracking app?’ is closed to new replies.