Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Finally Tubeless! But have I done it right?
  • chrishc777
    Free Member

Finally set my wheels up tubeless, Using stan’s strips and sealant.

Rims are sun ringle inferno 27 and spank oozy 26, tyres ardent TR and Chunky monkey.

They’ve gone up fine and have stopped spewing soapy water out the bead and sidewall. I got them up to 60psi and they seem fine. However I didn’t hear the clack of the bead seating on either. Will I die or do they not always do that?

rickon
    Free Member

You won’t hear a cracking noise if you’ve really soaped up the bead. To tell if they’re OK, let them down, if they come off the shoulders quickly, then theyre not properly seated. If they come off when almost totally deflated, then they’ll be fine.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Every tyre i’ve used has a little ridge close to the rim.

When that equally distant from the rim all the round you’ll know.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Cheers, let them down, the chunkey monkey went right down no issues, the ardent started letting sealant out of the rim near a ding around 15psi. ding straightened and reinflated until the ridge on the tyre popped out to be equally distant from the rim. Stil lets sealant out near the straightened ding but at extremely low pressure, now left so the sealant sits down at that spot. Should be fine right?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Some tubeless rims are not rated to mega pressures (stans for example) so the massive pressure isn’t always clever.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I did actually have the wheel in the shed and the track pump outside just in case!

rickon
    Free Member

Sounds all good to me 🙂 go ride!

goodgrief
    Free Member

I don’t go over 40psi and watch it pretty closely during inflation, I had a tyre blow off once and wouldn’t want it to happen again!

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

Blimey, I’m considering to go tubeless for the first time but may just run tubes to save the aggro and cost.

chrishc777
    Free Member

hopey, that has been my reasoning until recently, I’ll report back whether it was worth the hassle! If it works I’d rather an hour and a half hassle setting it up at home than the hours spent trailside fixing punctures

77ric
    Free Member

Equaliser 27 rims, high rollers, stans strips and fluid, no bead pop gave up on the inflating at 60psi dropped the pressure down to 40 and schooled the wheels etc left them checked them the next day and went for a ride, 3 months down the line and I’m still not dead yet.

I think you’ll be fine.

hopeychondriact
    Free Member

I accidentally ordered 2 free Schwalbe inner tubes to go with my 29er build kit so think I’ll try tubes to begin with then if I feel the need, I’ll go tubeless.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Finally Tubeless! But have I done it right?’ is closed to new replies.