Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Finally sussed the secret to cycle camping!
  • seosamh77
    Free Member

Bungee chords!

first try at this set up, easy wee route just to start building up the fitness, roads and easy fire road camped at loch venacher and then headed down to ballach on the sunday.

Had intended to camp 2 nights(left before the rain hit on monday), so had more clothes than i needed to. but general set was, sleeping bag behind the saddle, tent under the top tube. and tools, inflatable roll matt(really small) and assorted other stuff in the back hanging over the stem. all i had on my back was clothes(which would get halved for a 1 night trip).

Overall cracking setup, could cycle for days like this and on the few off road bit I did try, the bike handles brilliantly. Only issue was over stocking on provisions when we jumped into callander(horrid town btw, too many people!) but i reckon for proper remoteness, I could cut that down significantly (we didn’t scrimp and ate and drank well, and I could get a water pump for starters to save on water weight! :))!

route here, easy enough, just intended as a start to build up my fitness for a longer trip at the end of july. few one nighters to coming inbetween!

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/215421159

Previously, I’d one of those saddle attachments that hangs over the back wheel, rubbish things, limited the amount of stuff you can get on them, so it was somethings on there and rest on my back more or less. plus the bike never did feel right with all the weight on the back.

This is a revelation for me! 🙂

Anyhow, just thought I’d blether a little about this! any comments, inprovements you reckon? I’ve a few ideas about how else to attach a few other things aswell.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

A dry bag for your sleeping bag would be my first recommendaction. 😯

seosamh77
    Free Member

haha, aye that’s on the way home, no rain forecast, so didn’t bother putting it back on!

trail_rat
    Free Member

your in scotland plenty water for drinking once you get out of any major population centre 😉

tasty water too 😀

seosamh77
    Free Member

aye I’ve done it a few times, filled up my bottle, dunno if I’d like to live on it mind you, rather that just one bottle fill. Suppose the other option is plenty of tea bags and some milk!

glupton1976
    Free Member

I would rather live on water off the hill than the muck we get in the cities here. Tastes much better. Plus – it’s not as if there’s many bugs in it to kill you.

roger_mellie

it’s not as if there’s many bugs in it to kill you

only a bit of sheep wee 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

if only you knew what happened to half your food before you got it 😉

steezysix
    Free Member

only a bit of sheep wee

That’s just regular Irn Bru isn’t it?

matt_outandabout

Is that Drunkie? ace 8)

nick1962
    Free Member

any comments, inprovements you reckon?

😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

Nah that’s Venacher, passed by Drunkie, which does look better for camping actually. Saying that mind, it’s all a bit on the busy side around there though, be heading a bit further into which ever hills i decide to head for next time, where cars can’t go!

matt_outandabout

it’s all a bit on the busy side around there though

Depends which bit of Drunkie you are on.
    Head up another valley north to Voil and the place is empty before you get to Balqhidder…

matt_outandabout

no rain forecast

Beginners mistake… 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Member
    no rain forecast

Beginners mistake… haha, nah I’m well versed in reading the weather, far from a beginner there!

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

“Bungee CHORDS????!”

Bet you could get a good tune out of one of those.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Finally sussed the secret to cycle camping!’ is closed to new replies.