Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Finally signed up to do the Coast 2 Coast ride in September – tyre choices???
  • andyt1054
    Free Member

Hi all,

Ive just signed up and joined single track. Being more of a runner than a biker i bought a new mtb (Trek EX8 2011) when i was injured and now enjoy biking as much as my running!

A few lads from work are doing the coast to coast whch im told is around 150 miles on more or less hardpack / gravel footpaths and walking trails. Ive signed up for it as i think it will be a good tester for my mtb fitness, however at the moment im running 2.35 highrollers front and rear (i love trail centres and “proper off road!”)however my mate whos well into his biking reckoned i would be better off getting a quicker rolling tyre for the rear if not for both wheels for the trip. He suggested a maxxis Aspen 2.25??

Just wondering what peoples thoughts are re these tyres and whether it would be better to change both or just one tyre for the trip. Im still running tubes too! 🙂 Any other tyre suggestions would be well appreciated too.

Thanks in advance for any help/comments. Really looking forward to using this website and improving my biking. Who knows i may even sign up for some biking races this autumn!

Ta, Andy

danti

Maxxis High Roller 2.1 XC or Advantage 2.1 – CRC have them cheap at mo in wire version.

Wouldn’t want anything wider than that for lugging 150 miles!

jackthedog
    Free Member

If it’s the C2C you’re doing, I did it a few weeks ago on skinny cyclocross tyres.

I’d buy some skinny, fast rolling commute tyres if I were you, you won’t be needing much tread.

Mounty_73

We are doing it in a few weeks, a mixture of on and off road, mostly on road, so I will be running S-Works x2.0’s.

As above, thick nobbly/wide tyres will just add resistance and slow you down.

jfletch
    Free Member

These

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/btwin-leisure-tyre-tr-26×2-0-111796201/

Admittedly I did do the C2C 15 years ago but I did on MTB slicks, wished I’d had slightly more grip but knobblies would be hell.

If your feeling flush these would do the same job!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=18822

Inbred456
    Free Member

These are superb for the type of riding you will be doing. Don’t even think about using a standard MTB tyre for the CtoC.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-land-cruiser-mtb-tyre/
    I have the Continentals and I think they don’t have enough grip for some of the loose stuff. These are 9.99 each.

allthegear
    Free Member

Slicks. And pump them up as hard as they will go.

Rachel

andyt1054
    Free Member

Wow thanks for all the responses! Looks like i will be changing tyres after all!

Just hope i can get round the course now! 😆

allthegear
    Free Member

andy – you say you’re a runner? I’m presuming reasonably fit, then. I managed the Sustrans C2C in a (long) day and I’m not that fit. You’ll be fine.

Rachel

mafiafish
    Free Member

I did it on fire xc pros 2.1 but would have liked something much less knobbly. Skinny, hard compound high roller, on the front and something less grippy on the rear I’d say. You still want to enjoy the descents! Oh and if you have a computer, take it, it’s amazing how fast you can get when you drop over the Pennines (I clocked a very scary 50 coming down hart side!)
    Another top tip is to take some recovery drink/ bars. There’s nothing like getting up, sore all over with the prospect of 50 miles to ride!

popartpoem
    Free Member

Andy,

It depends which C2C version.

Classic N England is StBees to RHB &, even with this, there are multiple choices. I did the Woodcock version at Easter with a mate, with a couple of add-ons, which was 230+ miles. I used Panaracer Fire XC Pro & my mate used Kenda Nevegal’s … on the hardpack & Tarmac sections the Fire XC’s seemed to roll better (we both rode Trance X’s, so a comparison was relevant). On the majority, off road, sections there wasn’t a lot of difference … however, it was quite dry for the full so a full comparison wasn’t made.

If you’re doing 150 miles C2C, it sounds like the Sustrans route, which is a lot of Tarmac and hardpack, I’d pick something that really rolls well to make life easier.

Good luck with the jaunt 🙂

popartpoem
    Free Member

Oh, I forgot to mention … take plenty of fluid & Assos cream is a godsend :mrgreen:

blanche
    Free Member

Maxxis Ikon 2.2’s are a good long distance tyre. They roll very well, are reasonably resilient and grip in most conditions bar full on mud, where clearance would be a problem anyway. They’re good on tarmac, too.
    Some bloke did a massive non-stop double coast to coast in Wales and he used the Maxxis Ikon without any problems. So they fit the bill perfectly.

andyt1054
    Free Member

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the replies, all are duly noted! I really cant wait for the trip now, just keep blastin up and down the trans penine trail to prepare!

Thanks again!

Andy

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Finally signed up to do the Coast 2 Coast ride in September – tyre choices???’ is closed to new replies.