Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • finally got the audax bike as i want it. including home made wheels ;-)
  • firestarter
    Free Member

finished it off today with new headset and home made wheels 😉
    happy days. just the job for my sponsored ride lol

trail_rat
    Free Member

looks like a nice audax machine BUT you do realise youll never be accepted into the audaxing clique without a brooks saddle ….

the looks we got at our first audax nearly killed us … no mudguards – no saddlebags the size of a small house – no racks – no brooks – no beards ….

ps is that the low profile tortec rack for traffic dodging ? how is it ? stable enough for panniers and can yo uget rixen and kaul fittings opposite each other when fitted on that ?

jonb
    Free Member

looks nice, how much does it weigh? What exactly is it capable of that a road bike isn't? is it strong or just a more relaxed geometry for longer days in the saddle?

racefaceec90

nice one dude!!! 😀

trail_rat
    Free Member

more relaxed geometry – higher front end – takes full mudguards and a rack as well as a fatter tire if needs be

can definantly see the appeal as a light weight tourer or for someone doing alot of audaxing. done a couple now and could see why people use mud guards and big saddle bags ….

firestarter
    Free Member

yes as trail rat says mate a bit more relaxed and more upright very comfy indeed

trailrat as for brooks ive not tried them i luv the arione ;-)i sure didnt fit in then i had my ksyrium es wheelset on it lol these new ones are much more sensible for it

ive only used the one pannier and its very stable and not overbalanced either as its on the angle . you can fit both panniers tho mate as its got two rails and enough space for the fittings

i wanted the tubus fly one but alas funds would not allow 100 quid for tubus or 20 for the tortec 😉

weight wise i dont know but its not particularly heavy at all tho its not racebike light lol

Sam

really really nice Mick – you just need to have the fork painted to match the panels 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

cheers sam. and that would be nice . or a nice set of ti forks to match the frame would prob work out cheaper and better 😉

cyclistm
    Free Member

Mick, stunning looking bike.

trail_rat, I am sure your comment was tongue in cheek but I find audax's are really friendly and one of the most approachable aspects of our sport.

trail_rat
    Free Member

very tongue in cheek .. i enjoy audaxes . done more audaxes this summer than any other event! i use on old giant OCR

AdamM
    Free Member

Mick, that's lovely. The Sabbath September or the Enigma Etape are top of my 'dream list' for a road bike.

[ RANT ]
    Of course, what I really want is a frame with 'proper' road bike geometry but that still has clearance for mudguards and 23c tyres… you'd think someone in the UK would make one given the weather! I don't get why mudguards automatically equals slacker head and seat tube angles. GRRRR.
    [/ RANT ]

firestarter
    Free Member

adam the seat angle is the same as the silk road but the head is 1 deg slacker also the stays are a bit longer but they ride very similar indeed i test rode both a fair bit but the september was the best option for what i wanted it for 😉

GJP
    Free Member

Mick, looks much better (more classy) with those hand built wheels than the Kysrium ESs – horses for courses I guess. Gary

GJP
    Free Member

Adam M, I friend of mine got Enigma to build him a steel Enigma Elite with mudguard clearance. Pretty sure that had a race geometry and tubing etc but with the extra tyre clearance – this was before they introduced the Ethos.

AdamM
    Free Member

Hmmm, Mick, that's interesting. The chain stays do need to be a little longer to give a little more clearance, as do the fork legs, but there's nothing else that should need to change to fir 'guards in. The Sabbath may be back to the top of my ideal road bike list.
    😀

firestarter
    Free Member

it does doesnt it gary , and it was fun making them 😉

they really are very good adam

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Of course, what I really want is a frame with 'proper' road bike geometry but that still has clearance for mudguards and 23c tyres… you'd think someone in the UK would make one given the weather!

Eh I think they do see below. Kinesis Racelight T or Racelight TK. Takes 25mm tyres, full mudguards and has rack mounts. No idea if its "proper" geometry but it sure rides like a road bike to me.

Smee
    Free Member

Audaxes and the people that do them are great. Although how someone can ride from London to Edinburgh and still look fresh amazes me (L-E-L is on just now)

cyclistm
    Free Member

Good luck to those on the L-E-L, mental the lot of them.

Smee
    Free Member

1400km in 5 days – yes they are mental.

I love the suggested training pattern:

January: 2x 100km events
    February: 1x 100km 1x 200km
    March 2x 200km
    April 1x 300km, 1x 400km
    May 1x200km 1x 600km
    June 2x 200km, 1x600km
    July: 1x 200km + LEL 1400km

Daffy

Mick, Have you got a Silk too? What's it like?

firestarter
    Free Member

no mate i just test rode one lots i kept trying one then the other as i couldnt make up my mind. The silk was slightly more racey feeling but there wasnt much in it so i opted for the sensible to uk option of rack and guard mounts 🙂 spa cycles at harrogate have lots of silk roads and septembers upstairs if you ask for a look mate

glenp
    Free Member

I've got a Racelight Tk, and the steering is nice and light. Not super-twitchy, but that means you can at least take your hands off without holding your breath. Certainly you don't need the kind of steering response that you might have in a criterium bike – would be a liability on the open road, esp if you're a little tired.

Usually mudguard clearance means slightly slacker head angle, partly to get a little bit more toe clearance.

AdamM
    Free Member

The Racelight was about the only one for a long time, but I'm a bit of a tart and wanted something nicer.

The 2010 Gary Fisher Cronus is more what I had in mind: carbon frame, mudguard clearance, almost invisible 'guard mounts when not in use:

Of course, given how perfectly suited it is to UK use, the UK importers apparently are not bringing them into this country. 👿

glenp
    Free Member

I know Kinesis are keenly-priced, but in the flesh they really are very nice.

Can't believe they aren't importing the Fishers – they look spot on for here. Really like the crossers too – clearance for 29er tyres so you can use sensible grippy pressures.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I do like this bike. 🙂

To my taste the chainset is a bit of a horror still, but I'm not sure what I'd want instead.

What is the rack? I assumed it was a tubus fly.

hora
    Free Member

Hi Mick, how much did it all cost? Bits etc? Looks great BTW.

firestarter
    Free Member

cant think of a chainset id prefer , maybe one that replacement rings were not so dear lol

the rack is the new tortec velocity slimline rack it was about 20-25 quid rather than big bucks tubus. (might have tubus on my christmas list tho)

BigDummy
    Free Member

Thanks!

firestarter
    Free Member

very good it is too mate

daveh
    Free Member

Very nice. I considered the September but in the end couldn't pass up the lovely curved stays of the Silk Road. As and when I need mudguards I'll have to go with the strap on type. I'm liking the SR very much, so much so that I've only been out on the mountain bike a handful of times this year!

john_l
    Free Member

Adam – that Fisher is gopping! or maybe it's just the background – either way, it's making my eyes hurt ;o)

Mick – the Tubus Fly's only £50 isn't it?

AdamM
    Free Member

I agree the pic ain't the best, but the graphics on it are a LOT better than Fisher's have been for a long time. Perhaps because they look a lot like the Focus graphics? In any case, I want one!

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i have that tortek and the wife has the tubus (she wanted an airy but they were like rocking horse poo)

the tortek is almost as stiff but seems to be wearing out a lot quicker (well it is aluminium i guess)the paint has worn through quicker on mine although i have done more off road/muddy stuff than her. we have the same panniers and both racks work well with R+K fittings. No room for a top bag though, tent poles fit nicely on top

firestarter
    Free Member

hora i darent add it up lol too much. And yeah the fly is 50 actually it was the airy i meant 🙂

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘finally got the audax bike as i want it. including home made wheels ;-)’ is closed to new replies.