Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Finally got my downhill bike built!
  • alexxx
    Free Member

Top of the list of getting unpacked in Scotland was to get my downhill bike built up. I’ve not ridden one in anger since a massive shoulder operation so hopefully I can put this through it’s paces. I thought I’d share it since you don’t see many cropping up.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

Wow.

kimbers

thats ace

bring on the gearboxes!

(my rear mech launched itself into my shiny new back wheel last week and took out a load of spokes)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cookeaa

Ooooooh a Zerode…

What’s that come with as a “gearbox” these days? Alfine 8?

Nice colour too.

_tom_
    Free Member

Looks awesome 🙂 I’m toying with the idea of getting a proper DH bike again, an AM/enduro seems like a bit of a compromise when I already have a hardtail for the smoother bits..

RealMan
    Free Member

Jealously levels set at max.

My dream bike..

Looks like you need some bar plugs though.

MSP

The bb height looks very high, is that just an optical illusion?

buck53

That is a very cool looking bike, paint it matt black and I imagine it’s what Mad Max would ride!

I’m trying to get me head round such things, does the gearbox/chain set up mean no chain growth?

Wozza
    Free Member

Sweeeet 😀

cookeaa

Oddly I’ve always though of the Zerode as a sort of cousin to the (Now sadly defunct) Lahar DHV-M9…

Obviously the Zerode looks much more like a Bike where the Lahar looked like a sort of Carbon-fibre Cyborg stick-insect, but they share a lot in common, High pivot, with a low slung linkage to drive the shock and both use an Internal gear Hub used as a gearbox…

Both companies are Antipodean in origin too…

alexxx
    Free Member

Glad you like it guys 🙂

It still comes with an Alfine 8… but they now run a x9 shifter modified with a new index plate to shift the gears… much better than the standard plastic chunky shifter!. This is actually one of the later g1’s they are onto g2’s now which has a square downtube (more like the old balfa bb7) and it’s a little longer and slacker.

I’ve got angleset cups in to slacken my g1 giving a more similar geometry to the g2. The g1 does come up a little small it feels like a medium but I’m 5f11 so it’s spot on. Feels like a bike you can flick around but then it’s got so much square edge damping it’ll take the rough stuff in a very controlled manner.

The bikes not properly setup in that picture so you’ll notice the 2nd chain going to the backwheel has a bit of sag in it and if you look carefully you’ll see a chain tensioner at the back holding it up. The large chain has growth but the small chain does not.

I’ve just fashioned up a plastic rear guard for the gearbox so I expect to be maintenance free.

The bottom bracket looks higher as it runs a 32t front ring – but it’s actually quite average in dh bike terms.

Northwind

Want

tomhoward

This is everything the GT IT1 should have been, but very wasnt. I know, I owned one.

daftusername
    Free Member

Why not just put the alfine on the rear wheel and save the weight?

Strength or weight distribution?

tomhoward

Strength or weight distribution?

weight distribution. While my IT1 weighed as much as an oil tanker, the way it cornered was sublime.

gibbonarms
    Free Member

Nice! I had a look round Sean McCaaolls at this years NZ mega, which he then went on to win the event on 😀

TiRed

The large chain has growth but the small chain does not.

Any bike with two (or more) chains is fantastic. I’m the least competent DH rider mincer known to STW, but I do like that.

thepodge
    Free Member

I want the zerode trail bike they keep showing every now and again

ir_bandito
    Free Member

mmm…

JimSu
    Free Member

Down hill event 31st August to test it out maybe?
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/775679669119007/

alexxx
    Free Member

The trail bike will be amazing! I’d also like to get my hands on one!

Thanks for the offer but it’s a bit South for me – I’ll be heading to Innerleithen to test it asap 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Finally got my downhill bike built!’ is closed to new replies.