Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)
  • Finally getting round to it – PPI
  • frankconway

@cooligan: policy clearly not appropriate or applicable so I would say you have very strong grounds for a claim.
    £10/month for 19 years plus…..£2,200 just for refund of premiums paid then factor in lost interest/opportunity cost – call it whatever you like even ‘compensation’.
    Get your claim in now.

DezB
    Free Member

My personal opinion is that if you had PPI, you were miss sold, no one in possession of all the facts would ever buy it

Interesting thread – I was made redundant last year, discovered I had a PPI for the past 5 years and claimed against the policy. It paid my mortgage for 8 months without me having to use my redundancy money.
    That’s what the mortgage company sold it to me as and that’s what it did.
    I reckon I got back pretty much what I paid into it, probably more.

They did act like complete tricky, slimy scumbags when I told them I’d found a job and was no longer “actively looking for work” (there was a delay in my starting the new job) but a small amount of shouting down the phone resolved that.

cooligan
    Free Member

I’ve given them a ring Frank, the call handler submitted a complaint form (no particular details taken other than my personal details) and said I’d hear back in 48 hrs.

Any advice on how to play it? Where to act dumb/vague etc?

frankconway

@cooligan: I suggest you use the linked I posted to Money Saving Expert for loads of information.

P-Jay
    Free Member

DezB – Member

My personal opinion is that if you had PPI, you were miss sold, no one in possession of all the facts would ever buy it

Interesting thread – I was made redundant last year, discovered I had a PPI for the past 5 years and claimed against the policy. It paid my mortgage for 8 months without me having to use my redundancy money.
    That’s what the mortgage company sold it to me as and that’s what it did.
    I reckon I got back pretty much what I paid into it, probably more.

They did act like complete tricky, slimy scumbags when I told them I’d found a job and was no longer “actively looking for work” (there was a delay in my starting the new job) but a small amount of shouting down the phone resolved that.

If made the full payments (rather than just covered the interest and stayed the principle) than you’ve done well, your Mortgage Co actually sold you a decent product. Most didn’t, they sold them as “covering the payments” in most cases they just covered the interest and paused the payments.

Bear in mind though, that under the terms of the bailouts in 2008 the Government agreed, or rather strongly reminded all lenders of their obligation under threat of further regulation in regards to looking after their customers when things go wrong. In your situation without PPI you would have called your mortgage provider, explained your situation, completed an income and expenditure form and they would have been duty bound to accept a repayment you could afford without penalty. You would have an ‘arrangement’ marker put on your credit history, but it’s removed as soon as things return to normal. That’s not fiction, that’s how it works – but they don’t like to be honest about that, their MO is to scare people into paying what they can’t really afford.

Even assuming it made the full repayment, I guess you must consider if the other ‘side of the coin’ was explained to you, and knowing that information would you have considered the price you paid for PPI to be fair? Moreover, do you feel that you had all the information to hand to make that decision.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Never had the slightest idea about whether or not I’ve ever been mis-sold a PPI.

Saw an advert in the online Independent in passing for “The Claims Guys” so I gave them details of my last two banks and mortgage company and I’m letting them get on with it.

Don’t care about their percentage, it’s all free money AFAIC…

molgrips
    Free Member

In your situation without PPI you would have called your mortgage provider, explained your situation, completed an income and expenditure form and they would have been duty bound to accept a repayment you could afford without penalty.

When I was out of work I called Nationwide, and they cheerily said ‘oh yeah don’t worry you can pause for three months, no bother’; I don’t think I’d even finished my sob story. No problem at all.

rkk01
    Free Member

Timely thread. I generally refused PPI on any loans, but have been informed that many credit card companies include an amount for PPI within the minimum payment – with or without the card holders knowledge or consent…

Have often thought about pursuing a claim, but have never had the time / necessary info / trust in claims companies.

Will give it a go

theotherjonv

I used a claim company mainly because otherwise I’d have had to write 30 letters ( 😯 – that’s what rate tarting does for you). Got paid out by one, another account with the same bank (MBNA FWIW, Visa card and Mastercard) refused as i should have realised sooner according to them.

The one that really surprised me was the amount of ‘credit’ I’d had on items I never realised were credit agreements. Example, insurance:- if you pay your car insurance in full each year that’s one thing, but if you opt to pay by instalments did you realise that most Ins Co’s don’t just split it by 12 plus a handling fee, they actually sell your debt to a credit firm, get their cash up front and you repay the credit company (which may itself be an offshoot of the Ins Co). And some of those included PPI without you knowing as part of the handling fee. My wife and several friends got repaid through that route……

To those saying that if you didn’t spot it at the time you don’t deserve to get refunded; that’s like saying if you accidentally left your door unlocked you deserve to get robbed. It was still theft, whether you agreed to it on misunderstanding what it was or whether it was added without your knowledge.

Andy_B

Don’t assume that because you declined insurance that you didn’t have PPI. It seems that it can be buried in the product anyway and then PPI sold on top as an extra.

I used an agency to chase it but I wouldn’t recommend using one now that I know a bit about it.

Get your credit history – noddle is good if you’ve used your free month from Experian – and do it yourself.

If you really can’t be bothered to do it yourself at least haggle your rate with the agency.

CountZero

I mentioned PPI in passing during a conversation with my account manager at Lloyds, and that I’d had a form but couldn’t really make sense of it, I didn’t even know if I’d had it or not.
    She offered to do the form-filling for me if I got the forms, and gave me the number to ring.
    I got the forms and dropped them into the bank and forgot about it. A bit later she phoned about an unusual item that had popped up on my account, and by the way my PPI had come in, and would I like to pop in.
    She asked me how much I thought I might get back, I didn’t have a clue, said I’d be happy if I got a couple of thousand back, at which point she giggled and gave me a printout.
    I got back £11680.
    Bugger giving a share of my money to some parasitical claims company to do what my bank did for free.

DezB
    Free Member

If made the full payments (rather than just covered the interest and stayed the principle)

Well, the policy was taken out when my monthly mortgage payment was a lot bigger than it is now, so yes, it easily made the full payments.

In your situation without PPI you would have called your mortgage provider, explained your situation, completed an income and expenditure form and they would have been duty bound to accept a repayment you could afford without penalty.

I’m shit with money matters, but I don’t understand how that’s better than having the mortgage payment made for me…

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

How far back can you go with a claim?

When taking our first mortgage out with RBS between 2004 and 2006 I remember being told we had to take out their mortgage protection and house insurance through them by an in branch advisor. Being 24 and it was our first mortgage I took their word for it and took both policy’s out.

I’ve never bothered to claim as I assumed it was too long ago. I still bank with them now if it helps?

FuzzyWuzzy

For those that have used a claims company what information do you need to give them? If I can just give them my name and NI number or something and they go out and check everything that would be worth paying a percentage for IMO but if I have to give them all my account numbers, credit card details, loan agreement details etc. then not only is that a lot of work but I also don’t have a lot of that information readily available anymore.

cooligan
    Free Member

I was pondering this a little more last night, I distinctly remember the mortgage broker describing the second policy as “life cover” and saying that I had to have it in order to get the mortgage.

I just assumed I had a life insurance policy running alongside my endowment which is why I kept it running. On my last bank statement, the DD name had changed to “COUNTRYWIDE PRINCI FINAL PAYMENT” which alerted me to it. It was only when I phoned them that they told me it was redundancy cover.

The biggest problem is that I was (mis)sold it in 1997 so it predates regulation… 😕

njee20
    Free Member

I vaguely remembered being sold it on a Barclaycard in about 2003. I just wrote to them saying “I’ve a feeling I had this, and certainly didn’t want it”.

They wrote back and said “nah, you never had it”, and that was that. Lost nothing. Unless you have myriad accounts and can’t remember who they were with I don’t see why you’d involve a management company.

Interesting to hear of someone actually using it though!

footflaps

I think I had PPI on a car finance deal HPI thing in ’93, but have absolutely no paperwork for it and it was sold by the dealership rather than a bank, so have basically ignored it…..

frankconway

@cooligan: your concern about start date shouldn’t make any difference but you may have to work on countrywide.
    You’re still paying so even if you compromise a bit on the start date you’ll still be a winner.
    Just go and do; get some ‘free money’ and compensation for lost interest.
    Lenders are still relying on borrowers inertia – don’t play their game.
    It’s your money and you’re entitled to it.

cooligan
    Free Member

Thanks Frank, I’ll see what they come back with…

scaled
    Free Member

As a sensible person, when I took out a small loan and was offered PPI, I considered the likelihood of me needing it – what would I do if I suddenly had no income, and decided I didn’t need it.

It’s still worth checking if you had PPI.

I took out a bank loan and didn’t take them up on the PPI at the time. Two weeks later it was added to the loan, their records showed that i’d been back into the branch and asked for it to be added on!

Got about 2.5k back from that.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I distinctly remember the mortgage broker describing the second policy as “life cover” and saying that I had to have it in order to get the mortgage.

I had that relatively recently (as in a few years ago not nearly 20) from an independent mortgage advisor. Luckily I was clued up to know that wasn’t the case; when I phoned him to tell him we’d be taking our business to a different advisor he got VERY defensive and suggested we’d misunderstood him.

gonzy
    Free Member

i had PPI on my Capital One card for about 7 years before i cancelled it. i tried to claim it myself only to be told that there was no chance of getting it back because i had signed for it on the application form. i did query it after i got the card to be told by Capital One that i should have it on there.
    i then got a PPI claims company involved and straight away i was offered £97 which a declined as it was nowehere neare what i had paid duiring those 7 years (more like 7 times that amount). the claims company took it further for me but had to send some papaerwork to the FOS on my behalf. they never bothered to send me the paperwork to sign and didnt tell me that i had 6 months in which to do this otherwise they couldnt pursue it any further. Capital ONe alos knew this and stayed quiet too.
    in the end the claim could not go any furhter so all i’ve got to show for spending over £700 in PPI is a smelly £97

DO NOT USE STANTON FISHER EVER!!!

spacemonkey

I’ve pooled a load of account details together from the last 15yrs or so and am now collating a list of PPI-specific claim links/addresses for each lender.

You might find some of these handy.

MBNA

Morgan Stanley (now Barclaycard?)

Goldfish

Barclaycard

Capital One

Co-Op

Marks and Spencer

Alliance and Leicester (Santander)

Am assuming that finance agreements on car purchases and such like are also fair game. Worth checking in with any dealers you’ve bought from.

jam-bo

Turns out I did have a PPI policy with Egg back in 2000. Had a nice phone call with a man from Barclays today. Should get a decision in the next couple of weeks.

cb

jambo – did you have account numbers or exact dates of holding the Egg card? I had one back in the day but would not be able to provide dates or numbers.

jam-bo

Not at all. I just filled out the form linked at the top of the page about two weeks ago without much detail. They contacted me today and told me I had had this policy back in 2000.

Edit

This one

https://www.barclaycard.co.uk/personal/make-a-ppi-complaint

molgrips
    Free Member

EDIT I promise to read better next time.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Barclays binned off my claim for my Egg card saying I opted in by clicking the box on the online application.

Interested to hear how you get on.

legend
    Free Member

Balls, just remembered that my Egg application could well have been online back in the day too

jam-bo

Just been doing some research on this. Apparently the egg site back in that era wouldn’t allow you to complete an application without the PPI tick box checked, which has been successfully used to appeal as miselling.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Just bumping this to see if any folks have been contacted yet..

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I’ve never had any PPI and as a consequence am feeling a bit left out, where can I seek compensation for this emotional distress?

BoardinBob

Bugger it. Fired off letters this morning to Tesco, Barclaycard, Egg and Lombard. Had loans or credit cards with them years ago. No details any more but I’m certain the Lombard loan had PPI. For the price of a few stamps it’s worth inquiring. Covering letter and a copy of the FOS PPI questionnaire for each.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

How far back can you go with a claim?

When taking our first mortgage out with RBS between 2004 and 2006 I remember being told we had to take out their mortgage protection and house insurance through them by an in branch advisor. Being 24 and it was our first mortgage I took their word for it and took both policy’s out.

I’ve never bothered to claim as I assumed it was too long ago. I still bank with them now if it helps?

I’ve just had a claim upheld for a loan I took out nearly 30 years ago so 2004 should be okay!

The compound interest on claim has made it a not inconsiderable amount.

If anyone still hasn’t bothered (and has a feeling they should) I wouldn’t bother with a 3rd party company. I filled in an online Lloyds web form and submitted it. I got a letter a while after saying they couldn’t see any products that I’d ever applied for that might have had PPI on them and they were closing the claim down, so I assumed there was a time limit to the load I took out (maybe 28 years ago). I got a slightly apologising letter a week or so later saying ‘oops, we seem to have discovered the loan now’ and reopened it. Had to fill in another questionnaire again with basically the same stuff and return in prepaid envelope. Just had a nice lump sum appear in my bank account this week.

Check out the money supermarket website for what you should say. Just having PPI doesn’t mean it wasn’t a suitable product for you at the time but in my case there were ‘hints’ that if I didn’t take it I wouldn’t get the loan.

I didn’t have any details of the loan account number or anything (though I have always banked with Lloyds so possibly that helped in the search).

legend
    Free Member

Barclays apparently cant find any record of me having an Egg card 😡

bikebouy
    Free Member

Tell them to look harder ^^

Drac

Horrible letter from Barclaycard this am they’ve reviewed my claim it turns out I was entitled to the amount they sent. So they’ve sent me another £100.

jam-bo

Spoke with them the other day to clear up some confusion. Two days after being told I did have PPI with egg, I got a letter telling me I didn’t and they were closing my claim. Turns out they treat MasterCard and Visa claims separately.

Apparently should have a final descion by 28th December

cchris2lou

Our Our mortgage was with the Halifax in 2001/2002.

No records any more, do you just send them letter?

Had success 2 years ago with mbna and hsbc, but not with barclaycard.

BoardinBob

I don’t get the no success bit. I thought they have to refund you if you had it?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Finally getting round to it – PPI’ is closed to new replies.