Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Finally finished my new build! …XC racey bike content…
  • MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Finally finished my new XC build. It's been a long time in the making, as I've been collecting bits (mainly off here) since I was about 6 months pregnant (sprog is now 3 months).

I'm really pleased with the build and pleasantly surprised it's come out pretty much as estimated at 20lbs on the head… not bad at all for the price (spent less than £1500).

I'm not normally one for pretty flowers and butterflies, but somehow this frame manages to pull it off?!

Just need to wack some proper tyres on it and it's good to go (those are just on as they were clean so make the bike look pretty to photograph!).

From initial impressions up and down the road I think it'll prove to have been well worth the wait!

Frame: Kinesis KM-210L
    Forks: SID race (2009)
    Cranks: XT
    Shifters & Mechs: XTR
    Wheels: American Classics on Stans Alpines
    Brakes: Hope mono mini pros
    Saddle: WTB Deva
    Stem: Raceface Deus
    Seatpost: Superstar Carbon
    Bars: Ritchey carbon WCS
    Pedals: Eggbeaters (old ones)

ianpinder
    Free Member

Nice and a very good weight for the price 🙂

Murray

Looks really great. Where do you get the time with a 3 month old?

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Where do you get the time with a 3 month old?

Good question! All I can say is I'm very lucky, she's a very good baby!

farmer-giles
    Free Member

top build – TIDY as they say round these parts.

my son is 3 months old today – where the flip to you find time to do that?

radoggair
    Free Member

nice bike, great components although i would expect it to be more around the 22lb mark. Still, 2 new babies within 3 months, great effort

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

I haven't cleaned the house for weeks! 😀

nice bike, great components although i would expect it to be more around the 22lb mark

Thanks. Yeah, I think the fact that the frame is so small (and suprisingly light) really helps, plus the little bits of weight saving really do add up. Having said that, once I put proper tyres on it, it'll be nearer 21 lbs.

saleem
    Free Member

Nice bike, you could get a lot of baby wipes mind you for £1500 😯

clareymorris

Very nice MM…………….very nice indeed 😀

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Glad you like it Clarey – I think it's the best women's specific offering I've come across to date, even if it is a bit 'pretty'! 🙂

rexated
    Free Member

That looks great MM -glad to see those brakes you bought off me are going to get some use on a properly lightweight bike!

By the way, what size frame is that? (been thinking of one of these for mrs rexated)

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Could of bought my Titus for £500 less ! 😉

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks rexated – yeah, the brakes are great, thanks again! Definitely one of my favourite bits!

The frame is a 38cm, so the second size up (they do 4 sizes) – I'm about 5'4" and it fits really well (I could pop a slightly longer stem on though as I have slightly monkey-ish arms). How tall is Mrs. R? So far, the frame seems great, and excellent value for money considering the really light weight and high quality finish. Still, I'll let you know what I think when I've taken it out properly… Can't wait!

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

stumpy – well not really as I'd already bought this one. (Just hadn't put it all together yet) The Titus would have just been a play bike that I really can't afford… I got a bit carried away with the idea as it looked so lovely, sorry. Still, better that it goes to someone who will get out on it lots and won't get into debt buying it, I'm sure you agree!

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

MountainMonkey – Member
    stumpy – well not really as I'd already bought this one. (Just hadn't put it all together yet) The Titus would have just been a play bike that I really can't afford… I got a bit carried away with the idea as it looked so lovely, sorry. Still, better that it goes to someone who will get out on it lots and won't get into debt buying it, I'm sure you agree!

not a problem MM ……. Nice bike by the way 😀

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks! It is nice, isn't it! 😀

Blinglespeed
    Free Member

Looks like a lovely build! Did you do all the work yourself?

Blinglespeed
    Free Member

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Ha ha, very funny Binglespeed… or should I say, Mr. MountainMonkey! 😀

Ok, maybe you helped out a bit! 😉

rexated
    Free Member

Thanks rexated – yeah, the brakes are great, thanks again! Definitely one of my favourite bits!

The frame is a 38cm, so the second size up (they do 4 sizes) – I'm about 5'4" and it fits really well (I could pop a slightly longer stem on though as I have slightly monkey-ish arms). How tall is Mrs. R? So far, the frame seems great, and excellent value for money considering the really light weight and high quality finish. Still, I'll let you know what I think when I've taken it out properly… Can't wait!

she's 5'2", used to ride a 14" kona kula…and yours works out as a 15" so probably about right with a 100mm stem….
    I'm well impressed yours came in at 20lb!

mamadirt
    Free Member

MountainMonkey – Member

I haven't cleaned the house for weeks!

Me neither . . . and my youngest is 18! Bike looks great!

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Ha, thanks Mamadirt! Glad you like it, it is a bit 'girly', but I like it anyway. One of my friends did comment that my liking it must be the result of Motherhood – apparently it's changed me! 😆

she's 5'2", used to ride a 14" kona kula…and yours works out as a 15" so probably about right with a 100mm stem….
    I'm well impressed yours came in at 20lb!

If she's 5'2" then I'd definitely go for (or at least) the 35cm for her. After all, I'm about 2" taller and there isn't tons of stand-over and reach wise I wouldn't go above 90/100mm even with my monkey arms (I'm running a 70mm at the mo)! I reckon she'd be much better off with the smaller size (and still not a long stem), but I guess it depends on her proportions and how she likes her bikes – I like them a bit 'chuckable'. Anyway, just thought I'd give you my opinion, feel free to ignore it!

rexated
    Free Member

that's cool, thanks for the info MM – seems like the smaller size would be the right way to go then.
    enjoy the bike!

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

that's cool, thanks for the info MM – seems like the smaller size would be the right way to go then.

No worries, I'd reckon the 35cm would be good, but she's more than welcome to try mine if you ever are up this way.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Finally finished my new build! …XC racey bike content…’ is closed to new replies.