Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • finally finished – fully renovated HL Turner 5-spot
  • campfreddie
    Free Member

Some of you may have seen my previous threads about restoring an old HL 5-spot bought through the classifieds on here.

The plan was to build a bike for my wife, but this went a little wrong when I realised that the standover on the frame was too great for her. Fortunately, my riding buddy fell in love with the build and bought it from me, allowing me to get my wife a size XS Trek Lush (which I will post up in due course, as this has also been a little ‘pimped’ from standard).

The final spec read as follows:-

2004 HL 5-spot frame – new powdercoat, new decals, new headtube badge, new zerts, overhauled bearings etc etc.
    Hope headset and seat collar
    DT Swiss EXM130 forks
    Fox RP23 BV Kashima shock
    KS i7 Supernatural remote dropper post
    Sell Italia saddle
    Thomson stem
    FSA Carbon Pro riser bars
    Shimano SLX 2×10 groupset with XT shadow+ clutch rear mech
    Formula RX brakes with Alligator cutter 180/160mm red rotors
    Shimano 540 SPD’s
    Hope Pro 2 Evo / Stans Crest wheels (tubeless)
    Continental Rubber Queen UST (black chilli) tyres
    Superstar 9 & 10 mm bolt through QR’s

thoughts?

kimbers

much nicer looking than the dw ones!

campfreddie
    Free Member

and another pic, alongside my yeti asr5

eyerideit
    Free Member

Very nice, what’s that cylinder under the saddle.

Really like the look of DT forks.

Nice van as well.

campfreddie
    Free Member

the seatpost is a 27.2mm diameter jobby so the damper is moved to the outside of the post. i think the larger diameter models have the damper internally.

takisawa2

Looks ace.
    🙂

Euro
    Free Member

Standover, schmandover. Blue is for boys, no wonder your wife didn’t want it. 😛

campfreddie
    Free Member

it was bright pink before!

the blue is actually technically green (RAL 6027) and is the same shade as used on the original gulf racing le mans porsches (the latest gulf colours are much more ‘blue’.

sefton
    Free Member

looks the bollocks mate!

campfreddie
    Free Member

it’s amazing how you can take an old frame, give it some new warpaint, fit it out with the latest-greatest parts and it look like a brand new ‘current’ bike. it goes to show how timeless the HL design really is (which i guess, as it is still used by a number of builders, it is still very current).

personally i prefer it to the DW link (I had a DW link flux before the yeti), but i will admit that when the time comes to sell the yeti, the new turner burner is very much in the frame (i’ve talked myself out of the ibis mojo now)

midlifecrashes

That’s nice. Top work there. My silver HL frame is starting to flake paint at seatclamp and other contact points, maybe it’s time to give it a makeover and bearing rebuild. They’re never going to build into the lightest of bikes, but with a decent shock and a service every now and again they’re a cracking ride that can keep you smiling for years. Like the black stanchions on the fork, might try to find a pair if the wear on my Fox vanillas gets much worse by the summer.

campfreddie
    Free Member

the DT Swiss forks are fantastic…. they absolutely trash the Fox forks on my Yeti in terms of plushness and adjustability.

i’m definitely going to hunt out a pair for my next build.

wilson5spot
    Free Member

Very nice indeed.

For anyone interested I will be putting my well used (but well loved) 2005 HL 5spot onto the classifieds in the next week or so. Frame is a medium & is silver/anodised all the bushings are in good order, but the frame would benefit from new decals etc. It is currently fully built with black DT swiss forks, 3 x 10 SLX, hope wheels & brakes.

deluded
    Free Member

Nice theme of colour coding. Good to see an older frame given a new lease of life.

eyerideit
    Free Member

wilson5spot: I could be interested in the forks if Magura are being D1cks and not supplying FCRs anymore.

That’s if you’re splitting the bike and they’re 140mm travel and have enough steerer. Quite a few conditions really but I’d be interested all the same.

CF out of interest why’ve you talk yourself out of a Mojo?

Vortexracing

That looks superb, it makes the tubes look chunky, being a smaller frame

PiknMix
    Free Member

That is the first turner I have ever wished I owned. Good job and glad you found it a home.

1981miked
    Free Member

Both bikes are disgusting and look like they will be dangerous for you to ride…. I will do u a favour and buy either seeing as I missed out on the Anthem last week.

Cracking looking bikes mate. Have fun!

campfreddie
    Free Member

eyerideit – i’ve always lusted after a Mojo, but ultimately, it is just a carbon fibre dw link frame. i’m not going to buy new, so i won’t benefit from the warranty on the frame, so it’s a gamble.

the new turner burner is in my eyes, the very best of all worlds. i think 650b is the way ahead, and i love the service provided by turner (Greg @ turner gave me LOTS of help and free stuff for this 5-spot renovation, even though there was absolutely no benefit for the company).

granny_ring

Good job Sir.

tmb467
    Free Member

That is a very nice bike

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘finally finished – fully renovated HL Turner 5-spot’ is closed to new replies.