Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Finally – bike depreciation rates on a graph
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks to Uncle Dave at NSMB…

Should be required reading for all classifieds sellers.

slowjo
    Free Member

Being boring….ultimately, the value of an item or service is the price someone is willing to pay.

Methinks there is more than a healthy dose of tongue in cheek on that graph. Made me smile!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Did you sell your Orange Chakaping? I saw it and thought, that’s a good buy for someone.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

what price the bike you love to ride and get hours of enjoyment from? That never depreciates

chakaping
    Free Member

Did you sell your Orange Chakaping? I saw it and thought, that’s a good buy for someone.

Given up ’til the new year.

I was only about 10% over going by that graph anyway!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

🙂 I think that’s the way it’s gonna go for me aswell….

elliott-20
    Free Member

What that graph doesn’t take into account is ‘retro’ resell value.

I’ve seen retro frames go for considerably a lot more than you’d expect. I sold a 15 year old, DX rear mech for not a great deal less than I bough it for back in 1995. Bike components reach a plateau, and don’t continue to nose dive as that graph suggests.

I know it’s all tongue-in-cheek but we do get hung up on resell. Ride the bloody stuff, replace the stuff that wears then sell the worn stuff on a few years later. Simple.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I know it’s all tongue-in-cheek but we do get hung up on resell. Ride the bloody stuff, replace the stuff that wears then sell the worn stuff on a few years later. Simple.

So how come you still had a DX mech 20 years on………..

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

because DX never wore out. Shimano cottoned on to the fact people weren’t replacing stuff and started to make stuff that did…

(still have some ’94 DX Thumbies on a same-vintage Kona used as a town bike).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Finally – bike depreciation rates on a graph’ is closed to new replies.