• This topic has 43 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by LoCo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Final two descent sections on Cwm Carn Twrch
  • kayak23

Awesome! 😀

pjm84
    Free Member

Yep pretty good. Was up there last Friday and was zzzzzzzzzzzz until the last two sections.

joshbosh12
    Free Member

I love the second section, but just cant seem to feel the love on the first bit. I feel like i’d only enjoy it if i was on carbon demo 8!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

They are brilliant, yes. I would recommend anyone who’s doing the DH course to spend a couple of runs turning left at the road drop to sample it. Great fun, but don’t mis-time the fades, you’ll end up in the car park a lot sooner than you’d hoped 🙂

alfabus
    Free Member

rode it on saturday… mucho fun:

Dave

mboy
    Free Member

Rode it for the first time in a couple of years yesterday. Then made the mistake of looking at the Strava times for the final descents when I got home…

I thought I rode the final section pretty quickly (1:09), but then you look at the fastest ladies time (1:05) and have a bit of a reality check. Then you look at the times the Mojo boys manage, and think about giving up! 😕

Still great fun mind…

alfabus
    Free Member

i strava’d it, but wrecked all my times by stopping for a chinwag in the middle of all of the downhill segments – didn’t realise the last segment would expect you to go from the start of the road – I stopped at the drop in (where I took that photo above), but that is mid-segment.

gonna have to go back and do a clean run… what a shame 😉

Dave

Trimix
    Free Member

Are these new sections then, I was there late last year. Have they changed ?

molgrips
    Free Member

I have not yet taken Strava to Cwmcarn. I’m a bit scared to actually, it may well put me in A&E!

kayak23

Yeah it’s a brilliant fun section, and the rougher section above too. Cutting the crested-corners is great for a bit of cheeky air and the racing line too 😀

If I could add one thing it would be some sweet little kickers…

kayak23

Trimix – Member
    Are these new sections then, I was there late last year. Have they changed ?

Don’t think anything has changed no, they are just fun…I’d forgotten how much and how fast you can go.

mboy
    Free Member

i strava’d it, but wrecked all my times by stopping for a chinwag in the middle of all of the downhill segments – didn’t realise the last segment would expect you to go from the start of the road – I stopped at the drop in (where I took that photo above), but that is mid-segment.

Oh yeah, I stopped there too to wait for my GF. The section I’m on about is called “From the Bridge”.

I love the second section, but just cant seem to feel the love on the first bit. I feel like i’d only enjoy it if i was on carbon demo 8!

You see I don’t get that at all, I can enjoy that bit on a hardtail easily as much as on a full sus. It’s rocky yeah, but you just float the bike over it to some extent, or pick your lines wisely.

alfabus
    Free Member

Oh yeah, I stopped there too to wait for my GF. The section I’m on about is called “From the Bridge”.

oh right.. I see it – that was a ‘hidden segment’ for some reason.

I got 0:57 on it, which puts me 56th/1188 – not too shabby 😀

Dave

GaryLake
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s depressing! I’ve got 9 seconds to find to match Tim from Mojo, I have no idea where to find those! I’m 44th at the moment.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Gotta love Stava + Trail Centre Red grade willy waving. If I was only 4 seconds behind the top female times (or even Ms AD’s times on most trails) then I’d be pretty happy.

It’s a good trail, both those descent sections feel quite different. The DH run is OK too, not too jumpy, some nice corners and avoidable features. Looking forwards to the new stuff being built soon.

LoCo
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s depressing! I’ve got 9 seconds to find to match Tim from Mojo, I have no idea where to find those! I’m 44th at the moment.

#Attaches massive target to his back 😉

FuzzyWuzzy

I can confirm falling off in the rocky top section hurts…

Trimix
    Free Member

Do we have a strava time for the whole course ?

missnotax
    Free Member

I’m going to have to get into this whole Stava thing…..!

I love Cwmcarn, it’s probably one of my favourite ‘quick’ trail centres. I even really enjoy the climb 😳

trickydisco
    Free Member

yep

LoCo
    Free Member

Huw ought to do another lap that’s an old time. 😉

GaryLake
    Free Member

@Loco, I’ll give you a bell next time I’m coming over, you never know, the planets might align and all that 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Give I’ve got little chance of making any actual races this year, I might target the Strava leaderboard instead. 56 mins is my best time, set in 2009, haven’t really done a proper run since. I think I could beat that now, that was done on the Patriot. Low 50s is reasonable I think.

EDIT just looked at the page – the women’s top spot is there for the taking! And I’ve just noticed my mate has posted a 56. It’s game on folks.

LoCo
    Free Member

@garylake Cool, that sounds like a plan sure I can arrange a ‘testing session’ 😉

Trimix
    Free Member

Dont think I will bother with Strava then – it will be far too depressing.

Id be happy to just do the bloody climb in 42 mins, never mind the whole thing.

missnotax
    Free Member

EDIT just looked at the page – the women’s top spot is there for the taking!

Hmmmmm. I am in fact going to Cwmcarn with friends this Sunday too….!

(Not that I will probably get close to the top time, but the competitive side of me will give it a bloody good go 😆 )

GaryLake
    Free Member

Give I’ve got little chance of making any actual races this year, I might target the Strava leaderboard instead. 56 mins is my best time, set in 2009, haven’t really done a proper run since. I think I could beat that now, that was done on the Patriot. Low 50s is reasonable I think.

I’ve only set one time, 1:04 but on 32lb FS 29er and it was a second lap. Not sure how much difference taking the 28lb bike, doing a lap while fresh, and generally being a smidge fitter would make though. High 50s would be good though…

sure I can arrange a ‘testing session’

Would still love to do the feature on you, and to sort my CTDs out… I’m sure we can pass this off as ‘work’ somehow 😀

LoCo
    Free Member

media and testing 😉 (fame at last! , best dig out my gold spangly bib shorts 😯 )

chrismac

Whilst I have no problem with Strava etc I do hope it doesnt turn in trail centres in to race tracks with riders barging past slower riders trying to find a couple of seconds.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Whilst I have no problem with Strava etc I do hope it doesnt turn in trail centres in to race tracks with riders barging past slower riders trying to find a couple of seconds.

Tbh, the kind of people that would do that were doing it anyway. I love to Strava bomb as much as the next guy but I won’t cut trails and if I get traffic, I’ll abort the run before I dare to ruin anyone else’s day. Dickheads on Strava were dickheads before Strava…

alfabus
    Free Member

Dickheads on Strava were dickheads before Strava…

amen

qwerty
    Free Member

I think I’ve managed 1hr15min or 1hr30min before. I was strarving after, nice cafe.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not that I will probably get close to the top time, but the competitive side of me will give it a bloody good go

My name is molgrips and I approve this post.

joshbosh12
    Free Member

I did it in 40:34 once but forget to press start on Strava… 🙄

mboy
    Free Member

God I regret even having mentioned Strava now! 😕

I only use it mainly to keep track of where I’ve been riding, and as a reference to see if I’m getting any quicker myself or not. Occasionally it’s interesting to see how you compare on a descent to others, but some people take it way too seriously!

Anyway… Alfabus, that’s quick mate. I can see where I could have gone maybe 5 or 6 seconds quicker (I unclipped twice accidentally, took the first corner a bit tentatively too), but that was quick!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m so adicted to STRAVA I’m considdering buying a proper XC bike 🙁

missnotax
    Free Member

I have just downloaded (uploaded?) Strava and I hold you all entirely responsible for the fact that I shall now need resussitating on Sunday 😆

kayak23

I don’t have/use Strava but a mate I was riding with does.
    We did it in 1:12, though I think that was moving time, not overall..

Apparently our top speed was just over 30mph… Sweet. 🙂
    It felt quick too.

But, most importantly kids, we had fun…and that’s what it’s all about.. 8)

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve only been to Cwmcarn once – it was my first ever trail centre visit, back in November 2010. I remember that final descent being great fun, though I also remember being a bit rubbish at my first experience of bermed corners. I wasn’t using Strava back then but I did have a GPS tracking my rides, so they’ve been Strava’d retrospectively. 1:10s on that particular descent segment.

Have a roadtrip planned to FOD and the S Wales trails centes in July so will see if I’m 10 seconds quicker after almost three years’ progress riding a better bike!

LoCo
    Free Member

The new trails due to go in soon are going to be amazing, from what I’ve heard too 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Final two descent sections on Cwm Carn Twrch’ is closed to new replies.