Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Films you missed the 'power' of at the first time of watching?
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I have just re-watched The Iron Lady, it seems a lot more powerful than I remember it from the first time I watched it, what films have you re visited that caught you the same way?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Jaws

jekkyl

Idiocracy

P-Jay
    Free Member

Pulp Fiction, the first time I watched it I was too shocked by the violence and a bit confused by the way it jumped around to get the story. When it came out the papers portrayed it as some sort of ‘video nasty’ but it’s got a great story.

prawny

Idiocracy hilarious and depressingly accurate.

jimdubleyou

Platoon.

garage-dweller

2nd votes for pulp fiction and platoon.

I was much too young to “get” Platoon first time round. Cracking film.

And a new one from me 2001: A Space Odyssey

andysredmini
    Free Member

Another vote for pulp fiction. I was too young to understand it when I first watched it and was confused by the story jumping around. Now it all makes sense and I wonder if anyone fully gets it first viewing. Films don’t get much better than pulp fiction.

boxelder

The Big Lebowski……

paulneenan76
    Free Member

Me too on Big Lebowski

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

The Internship
    The Social Network

TBH anything with The in the title.

Anchorman 1&2 (I repeat all the catchphrases much to everyone’s amusement)
    Fast and Furious 1 – 57
    Transformers 1-5 (Inspirational monologues)

Zombie Beach Bro Workout
    Cowboy Zombies vs Aliens
    Hunt for Zombie Red October
    Zombie Gulag Cookery Showdown
    Nazi Zombie Passive Aggressive Day at the Zoo
    Sub Tropical Zombie Jungle Meth Factory Mayhem
    Subterranean Zombie Sausage Fest 19
    Zombies in Space
    Honey I Shrunk the Zombies
    Microbial Zombies vs Marvel Assemble
    Zombies Got Bills Too
    Zombie High School Reunion
    Brokeback Zombie Apocalypse 10
    Sometimes It’s Hard Being a Zombie Mom
    Aliens vs Predator vs Zombies vs Marvel vs DC Comics vs Teenage Vampires vs Demons in underwater, time travel, space, desert, ice, jungle, floating island, maze Faceoff.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

‘The Witch’

Thought it little more than a curious tale. Then later that night woke self by moaning loudly in terror from a nightmare of being forcibly drowned in moonlit muddy pool by soft, caressing, invisible hands. *

Aliens vs Predator vs Zombies vs Marvel vs DC Comics vs Teenage Vampires vs Demons in underwater, time travel, space, desert, ice, jungle, floating island, maze Faceoff.

😆

*Mrs just put me straight on it. I was (in REM sleep) going ”psh-psh-sh-sh-shuh, psh-psh-sh-sh-shuh!”, over and over like a demented fish. This woke her so she put her hand on my shoulder to calm things down. At which point I went ‘WooooOAAAAAAaaaargh!’. Presumably I was swimming and splashing about happily until bewitched by a kind hand. Deep.

senorj

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs.

votchy
    Free Member

Another vote for Pulp Fiction, completely missed the plot etc which is unusual for me. Still noy got round to watching it again although I have a copy of it. Might watch it tonight to see what all the fuss was about lol

Pigface
    Free Member

No Country for old men, first time I came out thinking WTF, went back and was blown away, great film.

Matrix didn’t get it at all, second time around was better but still don’t see what the fuss was about.

rone

Can’t think of any I missed the intended affect of but there plenty that got better on reflection.

jon1973
    Free Member

Brother where art thou?

P-Jay
    Free Member

chestercopperpot

I know you went a little odd at the end there, but was this a serious suggestion?

I only ask because I think like a lot of people I saw it at the Cinema, went “oooo ahhhh” at the 3D as it was the first of the ‘new’ 3D films I ever saw and thought it was great – I couldn’t wait to see it again on Bluray, but when I did watch it the second time I was bowled over by just how crap it was.

teethgrinder

Tremors

AlexSimon

+1 for Jaws, although I’m sure part of that was my age when I first watched.

I often use it to talk about how mainstream films don’t seem to be able to build up slowly enough any more.

Phycho (again, perhaps an age thing).

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Gone with the Wind.

Harry Potter.

Disney cartoon movies.

mike_p
    Free Member

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy – should have been right up my street. I fell asleep. Not watched it a second time yet

Blade Runner – Seen it loads, alt. endings and all, v. stylish and all that but I still don’t get it!

Usual Suspects – I’ve found that gets better with repeat viewing

Pulp Fiction on the other hand I got from the off, but its been copied and aped so much that these days it’s lost some of its impact. In it’s day it was a truly awesome, ground-breaking film

Northwind

Robocop. No seriously, first time I saw it, as a kid, I thought it was a straightlaced action film and missed the entire joke.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Top Gun.

mefty
    Free Member

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy – should have been right up my street. I fell asleep. Not watched it a second time yet

Wouldn’t bother – just watch the old TV series.

Alvin & the Chipmunks – it was only on the second viewing that I appreciated what a caustic indictment it was of the modern manufactured music industry.

P-Jay
    Free Member

mike_p

Blade Runner – Seen it loads, alt. endings and all, v. stylish and all that but I still don’t get it!

I think Blade Runner is one of these films that come with so much baggage it can leave you looking for more than is there.

It’s a very good film, lavishly made with a great story pinched from a book. There is a question over whether Deckard is android or a human, but most of what there’s there is all on screen for you.

headfirst
    Free Member

Shawshank Redemption, meh.

If you can’t do the time, don’t do the crime.

CountZero

I think Blade Runner is one of these films that come with so much baggage it can leave you looking for more than is there.

It’s a very good film, lavishly made with a great story pinched from a book. There is a question over whether Deckard is android or a human, but most of what there’s there is all on screen for you.
    I really don’t think there’s any question at all, not now. Questioning whether Decard is a Replicant or not is a bit like expressing surprise that the ship sinks at the end of Titanic.
    Of course, when it first came out, it had been edited in such a way that there really was a question, but no longer, especially with the new Bladerunner film in the offing.
    Saw 2001 when it came out, I was still at school, and my mind was officially blown! Of course, I had no chuffin idea wtf was going on, or that it was going to become such an important film, with hindsight the sfx were truly groundbreaking.

colournoise

teethgrinder – Member
    Tremors

Seriously. One of the greatest films ever made. Certainly the best B movie ever.

Memento.

Starship Troopers. Like the poster above who didn’t ‘get’ Robocop first time round, I missed the entire point of this one on first viewing.

Full Metal Jacket. Too overwhelmed by the whole thing to make sense of it on first viewing.

jimjam
    Free Member

Northwind

Robocop. No seriously, first time I saw it, as a kid, I thought it was a straightlaced action film and missed the entire joke.

I came here to post this.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Films you missed the 'power' of at the first time of watching?’ is closed to new replies.