Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)
  • Films with sad endings.
  • Harry_the_Spider

I watched 28 Weeks Later last night and it doesn’t end well, especially if you are French.

What films do you think would benefit from a sad ending?

I’ll kick off with Return of The Jedi. It would have been much better if Boba Fett had lived, Vader had sliced Luke in half and the Stormtroopers had rounded up the Ewoks and turned them into fur hats.

Kit
    Free Member

A.I. should have ended when the wee boy robot finds the angel at the bottom of the sea and gets trapped there. It would have been a classic. But all the following alien rescue guff is pure Spielberg schmaltz and not how Kubric would have envisaged it.

clubber
    Free Member

U-571 would have been vastly improved

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0141926/

Speshpaul

I really admired No country for old men, for its totally uncomprimising sad ending. Nice work.

As what should have a sad ending- anything on the Disney channel. (Hanna Montana for a start.)

mtbfix

and the Stormtroopers had rounded up the Ewoks and turned them into fur hats.

Where did the Ewoks get all those logs traps and various crushing devices from. The attack on the Bad guys seemed pretty ad hoc yet the little mechandise freaks/Ewoks appeared to have had lots of time to cut trees etc.

nickc

I watched 28 Weeks Later last night and it doesn’t end well, especially if you are French

And this is a sad ending because..?

ahwiles
    Free Member

the constant gardener:

he loves her, she loves him, she dies, he finds out she never loved him and was only using him, he finds out she really DID love him, he falls in love with her memory, he dies.

quite simply the most depressing film i've ever seen.

simonralli2
    Free Member

Betty Blue – he's in love with her but ultimately has to kill her in a mercy killing 🙁

nickc

Of Zombie films though. The re-make of Dawn of the Dead doesn't end particularly well…

Harry_the_Spider

Kill'em all!

rkk01
    Free Member

Das Boot

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

The end of the Dawn of the Dead remake is by far and away the best bit in it. I love that film just for the last 5 minutes or so.

binners

Despite being absolutely bloody hilarious all the way through, the end up Withnail and I is really sad and poignant

cynic-al
    Free Member

Love Story.

muggomagic

ET. when the feds got hold of him, they should've got the anal probes out and carried out loads of tests on the wrinkly little bastid. Let's see how they like?!

grievoustim
    Free Member

people are just posting the names of sad films

re-read the OP people

Nick

Sad endings

Atonement
    English Patient

Walk the Line was quite sad throughout I thought, would have been a blubfest if they had finished with 'Hurt'

DezB
    Free Member

Thelma and Louise
    Eden Lake
    Open Water

3 fab films with quality endings. Probably "downbeat" rather than "sad".

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The Amerivan remake of The Vanishing (Jeff Bridges one) – a great film spoiled by the American hero ending – better off watching the original Dutch version.

disco_stu
    Free Member

henry – portrait of a serial killer, bleakest ending to a film i've seen

TheFlyingOx

Miracle on 34th Street.
    The court finds Chris Kringle mad as a sack full of badgers.
    No Christmas ever again.

Actually, that wouldn't benefit the film. It'd be hella sad though.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Bambi.

derek_starship
    Free Member

She experienced a moral learning curve with the tin man, the lion and the scarecrow and was duped by trickery but finally made it back to Kansas where, I think Dorothy and Toto should have ended up under this.

mtbfix

How about The Great Escape? McQueen hit by machine gun fire and his bleeding corpse left hanging mournfully on the barbed wire?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The Great Escape is based on a true story so they couldn't really change it surely?

jon1973
    Free Member

the last Bourne film.

twinklydave

Logan's Run – the first time I watched it, it was introduced by Mark Kermode, who advised turning off ten minutes before the end. I did and it was a great film.

I made the mistake of watching it right to the end years later and was dreadfully disappointed!

As for films with 'sad' endings already – I loved Invasion of the Body Snatchers, particularly the 1978 remake – top notch ending 😀

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

But all the following alien rescue guff is pure Spielberg schmaltz and not how Kubric would have envisaged it.

i was under the impression it was the other way round! the schamltzy ending was in fact kubricks originial idea. it was on wikipedia anyway, referenced from here http://www.movingpictureshow.com/dialogues/mpsSpielbergCruise.html so could well all be nonsense.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

"People pretend to think they know Stanley Kubrick, and think they know me, when most of them don't know either of us. And what's really funny about that is, all the parts of A.I. that people assume were Stanley's were mine. And all the parts of A.I. that people accuse me of sweetening and softening and sentimentalizing were all Stanley's. The teddy bear was Stanley's. The whole last 20 minutes of the movie was completely Stanley's. The whole first 35, 40 minutes of the film – all the stuff in the house – was word for word, from Stanley's screenplay. This was Stanley's vision."

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Ian's actual end was not quite as simple as the movie "Control" implied.

Atrocity Exhibition, indeed…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Can't see the point in films with sad endings, I watch films for escapism and enjoyment, not to be left miserable at the end.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Million Dollar Baby. probably the most gut-wrenchingly, desperately sad ending to a film ever.

But well worth watching cos it's 100% of ace and has got the lovely Hilary Swank in it.

OMG

MrWoppit
    Free Member

grievoustim – Member

people are just posting the names of sad films

re-read the OP people

"Groundhog Day".

My fantasy ending was – they dance happily through the snow to the restaurant.

Bill asks "What's the special today?" and waitress says:

"Blood sausage"…

Jezkidd
    Free Member

The wrestler

terrahawk
    Free Member

Oh yes. I've just re-read the OP.

I prefer a list of films with sad endings though. Sorry 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

in respect to the OP asking for films that SHOULD have had sad endings I recommend the Shawshank Redemption what a preposterous American Hollywood Shmaltzy unrelaistic ending ……..feel sure this will be a poular choice as that ending just ruined the film

Blower
    Free Member

my dog skip
    the fountain

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I once ruined a "happy ending" film for the rest of the cinema.

"Sleeples In Seattle".

The bit where Meg Ryan's character makes it to the top of the Empire State Building as Tom Hank's character and his son are on the way down. She walks onto the observation platform and I go (loud enough for everyone to hear):

"Backpack".

terrahawk
    Free Member

Independence Day. Massive alien spacecraft look like they're going to annihilate the human race but they missed the fact that THE USA HAVE GOT WARPLANES, AN EX-FIGHTER PILOT PRESIDENT AND WILL **** SMITH.
    God bless 'em.

It'd have been much better if the film ended with a very big alien weapon followed by a large cloud of dust and molten rocks.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Titanic should have had a sadder ending. Then it wouldn't have needed "My Heart Will Go On" as the credits rolled.

I am a fan of Blood Diamond, but the ending is too upbeat. We leave the fatally wounded hero fighting off the dead-eyed EO troops, and then we see that his friends are actually creating a happy ending. We don't need to see that. It needs to stop at exactly the point that For Whom The Bell Tolls does.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Films with sad endings.’ is closed to new replies.