Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • Films that make you say "My God, there are still great films being made"
  • aslongasithaswheels
    Free Member

my votes

Oldboy
    The Mist (ok it was a bit cheap but it was more about the people than the monsters)
    The Dark Knight

and by all accounts Moon and District 9 although i've not seen them yet, all reviews have been promising

vdubber67
    Free Member

Lives of Others

peachos
    Free Member

district 9..really??! looks crapola.

z1ppy

Got disagree, looks ace but will probably turn out to be crappola.

The dark knight & batman returns are all I can think of.. Very sad state of affairs really

eth3er
    Free Member

Redbelt is a very good film, Inglorious Basterds is most excellent.
    Off to see "The Hurt Locker" on Friday and "District 9" next week I am most excited.
    It's not all too bad; do you hear that Michael Bay!

MrAgreeable

In terms of films that are all about blowing shit up, I'd say we are in a lull. Most of the films that have really impressed me recently have been documentaries – Grizzly Man for example.

racefaceec90

i like the look of the new tron film.has anyone seen it,is it any cop?

Shandy
    Free Member

Gran Torino

trailbreak-martin
    Free Member

and by all accounts Moon and District 9 although i've not seen them yet, all reviews have been promising

Moon is just brilliant. It's the first film I thought of when I saw the thread title.

peachos
    Free Member

Shandy – agree on Gran Torino

Mr Agreeable – blowing shit up films?? you missed the new Terminator & Transformers films?

atlaz
    Free Member

Transformers 2 was 2.5 hours of constant blowing shit up. If you like blowing shit up, you couldn't ask for a higher percentage of shit being blown up.

BitterBaldingFatty
    Free Member

wristcutters

tyger
    Free Member

Gran Torino gets my vote too!

MrAgreeable

Peachos, the last Terminator film I saw was the third one I think, and it just didn't stick in my mind at all. Can't say I see that many films at all these days but action films in particular seem pretty tired. Visually they all seem to be generated on a computer, and plot-wise they rely either on well-worn cliches or knowing post-modern smirkiness. Blow shit up by all means, but do it with a bit of originality, conviction and style.

Another point is that there are plenty of great films out there already, and I'm not going to be spoon-fed the latest thing when access to amazing movies made over the previous 75 years has never been more easily available.

Surfr
    Free Member

Sin City
    28 Days Later

willard

As a comic purist, Sin City was a little bit of a let down. Combining so many Frank Miller stories into a single film is asking for trouble and confusion. That said, it was _very_ well done and I enjoyed it.

I'd still like to see a film version of Hard Boiled though.

I'll get back to you with a recent decent film.

elliptic
    Free Member

JCVD. A neat ironic take on a "real" action movie.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

No Country For Old Men (albeit a strange ending). Just captivated me.

tomzo
    Free Member

Little Miss Sunshine. Started watching it and was like wtf is this…but thoroughly enjoyed it.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Watched District 9 t'other day and wow, best film I've seen in ages!

xc-steve
    Free Member

Eagle v Shark, didn't have a clue what it was about but it left me with a smile…

Beagleboy

Spongebob Squarepants the Movie, it made me cry.

peachos
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable – Member
    Peachos, the last Terminator film I saw was the third one I think, and it just didn't stick in my mind at all. Can't say I see that many films at all these days but action films in particular seem pretty tired. Visually they all seem to be generated on a computer, and plot-wise they rely either on well-worn cliches or knowing post-modern smirkiness. Blow shit up by all means, but do it with a bit of originality, conviction and style.

Another point is that there are plenty of great films out there already, and I'm not going to be spoon-fed the latest thing when access to amazing movies made over the previous 75 years has never been more easily available.

i couldn't agree more in respect of access to loads of great films mate. LOVEFILM is ace and has allowed me to get around to viewing all those goldies that i never saw!

as far as blowing shit up films though – have they ever been original?

mrsflash
    Free Member

Juno, In Bruge, Little Miss Sunshine just off the top of my head.

sq225917
    Free Member

The Reaping a few nights ago, great horror

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

Not much modern stuff I can say has left a lasting impression, so:

2001: A Space Odyssey
    Aguirre: The Wrath Of God
    Alien
    Bladerunner
    Das Boot
    Belleville Rendez-Vous
    The Thing
    The Unforgiven
    Les Mans
    Anything with Jacques Tati

Off the top of my 'ead.

[In no particular Order]

MrAgreeable

as far as blowing shit up films though – have they ever been original?

In concept no, but The Wild Bunch, Hard Boiled or even Die Hard had a lot more impact on me than most of the recent ones.

I guess "No Country For Old Men" would count as an example of that sort of film but done well – and no big budget special effects required, just an extremely scary bloke in an even scarier wig. 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

z1ppy – Member
    batman returns

😕 😆

tbf, it is a good film!

Drac

Gran Turino

Sin City

The Mist is one of the worst films I've ever seen.

Ewan
    Free Member

Watchmen. Properly good. And i hate comic book bo11ocks normally.

ransos
    Free Member

Lives of Others

+1. A truly outstanding film.

z1ppy

Oops that wasn't the one I meant TFT!

Enjoyed Watchmen but thought most ppl would struggle with it

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Pan's Labyrinth.

Agree with S_F on "No Country for Old Men", except I liked the ending It's what happens in the book, so it's a faithful adaptation. McCarthy novels often have no real resolution or end ambiguously.

ourmaninthenorth

Hunger

It was a bit of a cinematographic epiphany, and I've struggled to find a film having the same enveloping effect since.

jimmy

Gran Torino came to my mind first. Batman Begins was the same after watching the first time. Juno, In Bruges, Little Miss Sunshine, Pan's Labrynth, yep yep yep yep

Orphanage was good too.

higgo
    Free Member

Angel Eyes

BigDummy
    Free Member

I enjoyed Seraphim Falls enormously. I like westerns, and that was a film which looked great, felt modern rather than just a pastiche and yet didn't hit any bum notes from the point of view of the genre.

The Prestige. Beautifully done, and remarkably creepy.

Man on Wire may be the best thing I've seen, I was absolutely captivated. Agreed that Grizzly Man is excellent too.

billybob
    Free Member

To those that District 9 might be fun..

the short file it's based on is on youtube.

IHN

The Departed. Watched it again at the weekend, just excellent.

Steve-P
    Free Member

Gran Torino
    30 days of Night
    Bladerunner
    …and all the LOTR films I'm afraid….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Films that make you say "My God, there are still great films being made"’ is closed to new replies.