Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • film purchase failure
  • MSP

Bought “delicatessen” on DVD, watched it eons ago, thought I had seen it dubbed into English. but the dvd only has French, German, Italian and Spanish language options, with English subtitles. Dohhhh!

CountZero

So? Watch it with subtitles. I’ve watched loads of films with subs, and I much prefer to have subs than poor dubbing with voices that don’t match the actor, or lip-sinc properly. Japanese films like those of Akira Kurosawa always work better as subs, and Diva is an all-time favourite French film, which I’ve seen in both subbed and dubbed, and MUCH prefer the subbed version.

maccruiskeen

I didn’t even know there was an english dubbed version -pretty sure it was in french when it had its UK cinema release. Its very sparse for dialogue so subtitles aren’t problem

MSP

I never get along with subtitles, I much prefer dubbing if its done well.

mrelectric

Yes, I’dalways go for sub titles over dubbed.
    I think my my first experience of a dubbed film was in Lyon, France many years ago when a friend suggested we go see some new flick called “Le Padrone”. Turned out to be “The Godfather”…..

Derek Jarman’s “Sebastianne” was in Latin with sub titles. “Tu illegitimati” popped up as “you bast**d ” and “tu Oedipus” as “you motherf@@ker” ….

johndoh
    Free Member

I saw ET in Holland with Dutch subtitles. I didn’t need them.

butcher

I remember watching Ong Bak when it first came out. We watched the dubbed version because the girlfriend at the time didn’t have the best eyesight. Or just couldn’t read, or something. And everyone had really strong cockney accents.

It was all very ‘You’re bloody having a larrrf guv’. Utterly surreal.

Subs every time for me.

maccruiskeen

Sesame St dubbed into arabic is fun

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘film purchase failure’ is closed to new replies.